Wcjameson Page 133 In Lost Treasures And American History

Anyone from the McLeansville, Burlington North Carolina area know what the conditions are in that area? The reason I ask is my friend Pat Keene has one of those mats you can drag behind a vehicle and it will detect to 5 feet or more. My idea was to use this for the treasure mentioned in the book.(Going to make all you guys "work" for this story..just use the title and you can find the info)! Then started looking online for info and OMG!....people are NOT welcome in that area ...going so far as to put up 4X8 wood signs saying to the effect that ,"to date over 200 people have been charged with trespass..etc etc..are you next"?

I'm sure a LOT of people on DP have knowledge on this area and subject...if you have a minute please respond.

I lived in Greensboro for many years and walked the tracks in the McLeansville area. Quite a bit of the trackside property is wooded so you're not gonna drag a PI mat around very well, and all of it is private land. But the biggest obstacle to finding this treasure is that the story itself is fake. There was no Civil War gold train and there are no pots of gold. The story originated in 1969 in True Treasure magazine which published mostly fabricated treasure stories. People like Jameson repeat those stories for the purpose of selling books.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Geotech is right :  Do not waste your time on ghost-story camp-fire legends.  Just like O.I. :  They sound *ssseeooo* compelling.   Whenever fabulous treasures are discussed, we subconsciously put critical thinking aside. After all, you don't want to get laughed at all the way to the bank, do you ?    But the moment you put it to scrutiny, they fall apart.   Just ask yourself "says who ??" at each junction.  

As for the genre of 1960s/70s treasure magazine lore:  Yes, each edition was packed full of "lost mine" and "stolen stagecoach" loot stories.   So fun !   In fact, a buddy of mine even submitted one of those stories.  Just so he could get the $100 author-article acceptance fee.  It was entirely made up fancy.   But hey, toss in a few faded newspaper clippings, add some real names and dates, add a drawing of a miner posed next to his burro, and ...... by golly ...... it must be true !   We got a good laugh wondering if anyone ever actually went searching for it.

Ok! Did some more research from OTHER sources and I believe some things were buried as The North closed in. Also said a lot of it was dug up by both sides as the location(s) were not a well kept secret.

Further research says the railroad 'right-of-ways' reverted to the adjacent landowners per 1922 law passed by Congress. So even looking for war relics would take an owners permission.