Nisaku Njp650 Hori-hori Weeding & Digging Knife

My friend has one of those for his garden that he brings sometimes and now I use a bigger version.  (link below)  The notched tip is also sharpened.

(The Hori is much lighter on the "Batman Accessory" belt though . But mine is easier to find...) 🙃

GREAT for most lawns , but dry hard clay or rocky soil , not so much. I love it for digging under roots too !    Zero (almost) trace dig holes for targets ~6"/15cm or less on manicured lawn permissions.  I use it to make a slit in the turf that I spread apart and excavate with a small plastic trowel onto a piece of heavy plastic . The knife can be used to dig as well.  Yes there is pinpointing involved🥸

Easy to dump it all back in the hole by folding the plastic in half  push the slit back together.  Maybe pack it down with my boot .

I have trouble finding where I dug most of the time.🧐

Fiskars 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-14-in-Big-Grip-Garden-Knife-70796935J/202681617

• Like 1

I have a trowel/digger similar to the Fiskars posted by rvpopeye, mine is made by Ames, they don't make the version I have any longer but they now have a similar version called Ames Planter's Pal which the blade looks as mentioned very much like the Fiskars and my older version Ames, I still like my older version better, I bought it at least 10 to 15 years ago at Home Depot and can't seem to wear it out, I've only resharpened it once, I even cut down a small tree (about 2" thick) with the serrated edge one time in my yard.

Here's a eBay link to the Ames Planter's Pal, it seems to be around $15 and up everywhere else.   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325083330796?hash=item4bb079f8ec:g:3V0AAOSwZ-1iIa4B         

image.jpeg       

This one is $10 more but safer and stronger. It is full tang, so the handle won't snap off and it has a cross guard so your hand can't slip up on the blade when you hit a rock under the soil. Just food for thought.
Full Tang Hori Hori

image.jpeg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

GREAT for most lawns , but dry hard clay or rocky soil , not so much. I love it for digging under roots too !    Zero (almost) trace dig holes for targets ~6"/15cm or less on manicured lawn permissions.  I use it to make a slit in the turf that I spread apart and excavate with a small plastic trowel onto a piece of heavy plastic . The knife can be used to dig as well. 

I also use the Fiskars tool, it is actually a sod cutter. The handle will break easily as it is only spot welded on the blade. The best results with it is on ground that is not dry as a bone. I am on my 3rd one now, but think I try to lift out to big of a plug at a time with it.

Nisaku is the top brand for stainless steel knives. 

I have had mine for 5 years now, thousands of holes plugs dug with it. Never needed sharpening. This year I bought a brand new one of the same model. The only thing I did was reshape the handle to fit more comfortably in my hand. 

And they make a mini green  version, these work so well when the ground is damp, might favorite. They do have a weakness, the blade after awhile breaks at the handle. The rule with these is not to use these little guys as prybars!!! These are sharp and remain sharp and will cut your hands like a razor knife.

hor.png

hor2 .png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

This one is $10 more but safer and stronger. It is full tang, so the handle won't snap off and it has a cross guard so your hand can't slip up on the blade when you hit a rock under the soil. Just food for thought.

Thanks I bought the full tang one last night.

• Like 1