2015-2016 4x4 Van Options We Never Had Before

In years past I've seen 4 x 4 vans but it's not too often. I drive a van and over the years I had different ones but never a 4 x 4. it's been a rare time that I ever needed one but I made a point not to get me there. I think it would help to have your own gas station. I find the big cost is just getting where I'm going and for the distance I have to drive I need to keep that part down.

This way I have more money to spend on metal detectors. Lord knows but not my wife I do a lot of that.haha

Chuck

• Like 1

I like the European looks and the fact you can now get a diesel option vs the gas hogs of yesterdays 4wd van conversions.

Supposedly the Sprinter 4wd van gets around 17 mpg with the diesel, dunno about the Quigley Ford Transit conversion van? I might wanna sell the house and go the 4wd camper van route at some point soon. Need an affordable way to haul detectors, gold mining machines, and me around in comfort on and offroad without a fullsize motorhome and reasonably easy to park and sleep in.

The fully equipped Sportsmobile 4wd Sprinter van conversion is a measly $100,000 plus. Looks like a base 4wd unit from Mercedes is around 50 grand, dunno about the Transit 4wd van ? Quigley wants about $13,000 for the 4x4 conversion plus the original cost of the van from Ford , wonder what that is ?Ford also has a diesel option for the Transit .

Hey tvanwho

If you got that kind of money. I want to let you know I just put myself up for adoption  Better hurry I know others are standing in line.

My youngest son was always after me to buy a 4 x 4 truck. I'd tell him I never got stuck on the pavement. Most got them for looks. I've got to have a need for one.

I could buy 5 of the Minelab 7000 and have money left over.

Oh well.

Chuck

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

I find the big cost is just getting where I'm going and for the distance I have to drive I need to keep that part down.

I hear ya Ridge Runner.  A few years back I broke down and bought a newer used 4x4 Toyota FJ Cruiser.  Price was a good bit more than I'm used to paying but wanted a good off road capable vehicle for hunting and when the roads get icy.  I liked it but the wife hated it, hard to see behind, back seat not real comfortable and can't roll back widows down but what I didn't like most was we took a trip to Ohio and back and couldn't even get 20 mpg highway.  I think more like 18.  I felt like for the money I should be able to get at least 20 Mpg.  So to please me and my wife I traded the FJ for a 2014 Subaru Forester.  My wife loves it, it's all wheel drive all the time and on my latest 40 mile trip I got 35 MPG.  The 4 Cylinder in it feels like a strong 6.  The 4 WD is excellent. We have 30K on it and it's never been to a shop or dealer.  I change the fluids etc and exceptionally easy to change the oil. The oil filter sets right on top of the engine.  I have never had a vehicle that I didn't struggle to reach the filter till now.  So far fluids and filters are all it's needed.  I am starting to see why so many love their Subaru's.   I had never owned one before and they were never on my radar.  It happened to be rated the small SUV of the year (2014) so I started looking at reviews of it and finally took one for a test drive. After test driving it, I test drove a Honda CRV and the Toyota Rav4 but liked the Subaru the best.  Now that it's broke in some it will be my mini camper as I know I can't afford a real one and don't want to go back to less than 20 mpg.  

It's likely what I'll be driving across the country in this summer and pretty much living out of most of the time.  I seldom do a motel on my trips.  Gotta keep the price down.  I hope I don't carry to much junk with me so I can leave a space in the back to lay down.  Anyway that's about as much luxury as I can afford.  I rather ruff it a bit and be able to afford to take a trip if I want.  So that's my camper.   

Roughwater

You sound a lot like me. I don't have any trouble if the need be to ruff it.. I like to save as much as I can going so my money will last longer. By this time there detecting is also longer. I do make a point to put money back base on the cost of getting there so I know I can get home. I could go to a pulse machine but I like to stick to my budget.

Sounds like your happy with the Subaru and with great MPG you got it all going your way.

Chuck  

I already have a 2009 Forester.It gets 22-26 city, 26-30 hiway mpg.Its kinda cramped for camping and hauling stuff tho and burns thru brake pads and rotors both, every 35,000 miles. 100 k on the odometer this month. I have no need for a ZED but a 4wd camper sounds appealing in a few years if my health holds up.

57 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

Roughwater

You sound a lot like me. I don't have any trouble if the need be to ruff it.. I like to save as much as I can going so my money will last longer. By this time there detecting is also longer. I do make a point to put money back base on the cost of getting there so I know I can get home. I could go to a pulse machine but I like to stick to my budget.

Sounds like your happy with the Subaru and with great MPG you got it all going your way.

Chuck  

I enjoy the scenery when I'm driving but I like to get there even more.  I don't know if I'm still up to it but I used to drive 12- 16 hours or more then sleep 3 or so and back on the road.  I would pick up something to eat when I get gas.  I drove to Alaska and back in 05 and 06.  Really enjoyed the trips.  Canada is really beautiful, some amazing lakes and mountains up there. Saw, Bear, elk, deer, goats, Caribou, Moose, Buffalo, even wild horses.  But I was just passing through.  When You first cross the border into Alaska you think you are about there then you see the sign - 421 miles to Anchorage.  So you got a wee bit more to go yet.  I had a riding partner with me on those trips anyway, my part Chow Shadow.  A great dog!  I probably drove on a couple hundred miles of Gravel road on the way where they were doing roadwork.  Had a notion to get out and run the detector over the gravel but again I was in a rush, so didn't.  

I don't know if a pulse machine would do you a lot of good.  Now, if you have a place that you can hunt where there isn't a lot of trash and the targets are deep or the ground very mineralized then a pulse machine is definitely the ticket if you don't mind digging everything. A pulse detector will go very deep.  Maybe we can get together sometime and you can run the 5000 and see what you think?     

BurwashYukon.JPG

DSC00022.JPG

DSC00023.JPG

DSC00063.JPG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Roughwater said:

I hear ya Ridge Runner.  A few years back I broke down and bought a newer used 4x4 Toyota FJ Cruiser.  Price was a good bit more than I'm used to paying but wanted a good off road capable vehicle for hunting and when the roads get icy.  I liked it but the wife hated it, hard to see behind, back seat not real comfortable and can't roll back widows down but what I didn't like most was we took a trip to Ohio and back and couldn't even get 20 mpg highway.  I think more like 18.  I felt like for the money I should be able to get at least 20 Mpg.  So to please me and my wife I traded the FJ for a 2014 Subaru Forester.  My wife loves it, it's all wheel drive all the time and on my latest 40 mile trip I got 35 MPG.  The 4 Cylinder in it feels like a strong 6.  The 4 WD is excellent. We have 30K on it and it's never been to a shop or dealer.

I've been researching online to try and find the right off-road vehicle for when I retire in a couple years and have time to prospect out west (CO, AZ, NV, CA, OR).  I want something that is reasonably fuel efficient and comfortable for the highway driving but also can handle rough dirt roads (including washouts).  The Forester sounds great for the former requirements but how does it do in the back country?  I'm not trying to blaze my own trail but in my limited experience out west you sometimes need decent ground clearance and good traction, especially when you want to get close to where the gold can still be found.  I don't mind parking and hiking a couple miles but the more time spent hiking the less time swinging the detector....

I have have some friends who use older toyota 4runners early 2000s models small and easy on fuel and easy to strip out interior and convert to carry all your prospecting tools,good ground clearance.I like my tacoma with a topper it goes anywhere