2015-2016 4x4 Van Options We Never Had Before

1515 Art;  Have you checked out the Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk?  It has low range, skid plates, off road tires, and a V6 engine that seems pretty strong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, walkerrj said:

1515 Art;  Have you checked out the Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk?  It has low range, skid plates, off road tires, and a V6 engine that seems pretty strong.

Those are really nice, I'm afraid I'm in about the same place as the Toyota, at 4500 pounds max. I think it will pull the boat ok, but with gear and fuel I'm probably over 5000#'s and pulling it over the hill to Santa Cruz over time might be a problem. 

I keep rehashing this and I need a small v8 in a vehicle with good 4 wheel that's small enough to get me into areas I want, or sell the best boat I've ever owned. 

Salmon and rock cod season now, so I going to cross my fingers and keep checking cl. 

6 minutes ago, 1515Art said:

Those are really nice, I'm afraid I'm in about the same place as the Toyota, at 4500 pounds max. I think it will pull the boat ok, but with gear and fuel I'm probably over 5000#'s and pulling it over the hill to Santa Cruz over time might be a problem. 

I keep rehashing this and I need a small v8 in a vehicle with good 4 wheel that's small enough to get me into areas I want, or sell the best boat I've ever owned. 

Salmon and rock cod season now, so I going to cross my fingers and keep checking cl. 

Have you considered a  short bed regular cab truck? You may not have the luxury of storage, or seating, in the cab. But you do get a short wheel base, 4 wheel drive, and the option of a V8. They are getting harder to come by anymore due to the popularity of trucks with 4 doors now.  But, it could be an option. I have a 2010 dodge with the hemi. And at a rated 390 hp with something like 400 ft lbs of torque, power is not lacking. The thing drives like a 4 wheel drive muscle car. If you keep your foot light on the gas pedal, 20 mpg is not hard to get on the highway, with no load of course. But, only seating for 3 people. Some say thats a bad thing, I kinda like it. And if you throw a bed cover on them, all your stuff stays dry riding in the back. I put one of them on mine with a bed rug liner, and stuff rides well without getting scratched up or sliding around.

IMG952012102095132332.jpg

Something like that is probably how I'm going to wind up, the access cabs have a little storage inside and dodge 4x4 is rated right up there with the jeep. I'm still fond of the timeless appearance of the jeeps and availability of parts, I tend to keep my cars 10years or more and even old jeeps have a certain curb appeal to them.

i have even considered one of the old Toyota fj's with a v8 conversion, they are built like a tank, but I've driven fron California to upper idahoe in one years ago and it was a long trip, they don't drive the best for any comfort.

• 4 months later...

Tboykin,

I went thru 2 Astro AWD Vans. They could carry a ton of gold digging gear and the kitchen sink, especially

once I removed the rear bench seats. Gas mpg was 15/18 with P215 R15  all season tires. Even with just street tires, I never could get the things stuck. Ground clearance maybe 7 inches.

Heck, the front tires might spin 1 time in deep snow and then off I'd go. Bad thing was, BAD sloppy steering on the 1st one, never shoulda got that one. The 2nd one broke down constantly, $4000 in repairs in just 2 years. I always thought extended warranties were worthless until I had this van. I got my $1800 worth and the Chevy dealer got the shaft !!!

I even looked at Overland Vans for an Astro 4 inch suspension lift as they are up in Michigan, not so far to go.

I can only carry 1/2 the stuff now in my Forester but get almost 50% better MPG and thrice the reliability.

....oh well....have always had the itch to get a 4wd reg cab Toyota Tacoma truck with automatic and the factory 10 x31.50 tires.

I had a 5speed version but concluded stick shift is for kids and it got no better mpg than the V6 version.

Sure could handle tight corners and parking lots real good with 34 foot turn radius.

I would like to know why Toyota has frame rust out problems on 1996-2005 Tacos and Tundras?

Truck frames should last forever. The 4 runners in those years seem to have solid frames, why not the trucks?

4 hours ago, tvanwho said:

I would like to know why Toyota has frame rust out problems on 1996-2005 Tacos and Tundras?

If that's what you really want find you a truck from the south or even better the southwest where there is no salt on the roads.  Much better chance of getting one who's frame and body would last much longer.  

For my latest trip I put a Thule luggage carrier on top of my Forester.  The model I bought really holds a lot of gear and don't knock down the fuel mileage but a mile or 2 per gallon and cost me new less than 300 dollars.  Terry Rye patch best.JPG

• Like 2

I might need to consider that carrier for my 2010 Forester. But I didn't get the factory roof rack and

Subaru wants like $ 600 + for that rack alone + installation cost. Isn't that pod about $400+?

Need to deal with a rattling catalytic converter heat shield first tho..

GO 4 1992 or later jeep cherokee 5 speed straight six 190hp -20mpg w standard 225/15 tires. i should post pix sometime of mine. turned into 1seater with back seat removed..... passenger side is a 7ft bed w lockable storage underneath for detectors. shovels - sniper sluice . camp gear etc. in back is a lockable storage pantry for food- tools- spares etc. my cooler fits back there. and my removable bed extension/flips over to reveal 4 perfectly cut holes that holds 4 buckets securely.....also the cooler fits in the back next to the spare tire......I'm sleeping in the RIG bro!  Here in this part of wild Idaho. We have Packs of wolves, Grizzlys, black bear, and 7 of the Top 20 boone/crockett  record mountain lions- the ones with heads the size of medicine balls! Squatch  sign everywhere too!  92 and later are the best years and i picked mine up for a Grand! cheap parts straight six  - easy to trick out- mini winni4me- and sleep in peace....anywhere anytime....yeah!

• Like 1