Where A Tamed-down 7000 Shines

Great job adapting the tool to the conditions and finding that nugget.  :biggrin:

I have a GPX4500 and the GPX6000 and I often wish the new 6k had more adjustability.  It does work very well most of the time as is, but it sure would be nice for basic adjustments for those really harsh soil conditions.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

GC good stuff, ah ha I`m still on the honeymoon with the 6K, scraps forever but good fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Norvic said:

GC good stuff, ah ha I`m still on the honeymoon with the 6K, scraps forever but good fun.

Ty Norvic. I have been in the 6k/scraps business for quite some time now, so that little bigger one I found with the 6k was a welcomed distraction (trend I hope....). 

GC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

So, I went on a little afternoon hunt in the Mojave Desert. I did not have much time but thought to check out a wash where I found gold before with the SDC. The ground conditions there are extremely mineralized and the wash is littered with hot rocks, mostly volcanic in nature.

That is amazing.  With all of that volcanic rock, I would never have even taken out my detector.  Not because of expected ground noise, but because I typically do not find gold that close to that much volcanic activity.   So thank you for sharing this and the setting for quieting down the detector.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

GC, just wondering if you tried the 6k with the DD coil in that environment? I had great success running the older GPX machines with a DD coil in cancel mode (just like the 6k DD in EMI cancel) in the volcanics of the El Paso Mountains. The conductive ground cancel may work as well.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lunk said:

GC, just wondering if you tried the 6k with the DD coil in that environment? I had great success running the older GPX machines with a DD coil in cancel mode (just like the 6k DD in EMI cancel) in the volcanics of the El Paso Mountains. The conductive ground cancel may work as well.  

That does work with the DD in volcanics, I used mine in the El Paso’s like that as well.  Hope to see smaller versions of the 14” soon!

@Andyy - don’t be too quick to write off volcanic fields for detecting, especially if they are old and eroded and you see river worn rocks and gravels mixed in with them. There are many places where a volcanic flow once covered river canyons filled with gold-bearing alluvial placer deposits, e,g., the Table Mountains near Angel’s Camp in the mother lode country.  As the old  igneous volcanic rock erodes into boulders, the softer underlaying auriferous deposits become daylighted. So the gravels and sands seen around the volcanic boulders in GC’s photo may have been there first before volcanic activity covered them up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Lunk said:

Hi Lunk, no unfortunately i did not have the 14DD with me. But for sure I will try next time, good advice. I vaguely remember that you suggested that before. My bad that I haven't tried it yet 😁.

GC

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Hope to see smaller versions of the 14” soon!

Thanks, GotAu. The 14 inch is pretty big for small washes, I even had a struggle with the 12 NF. But as you say, let's hope smaller DDs will be on the upcomimg coil list. I will definitly try it out however. Good to know that it works for you.

GC

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

Hi Lunk, no unfortunately i did not have the 14DD with me. But for sure I will try next time, good advice. I wagely remember that you suggested that before. My bad that I haven't tried it yet 😁.

GC

Would’a, could’,. should’a!  Yeah, except for its size and bit of extra weight, that 14” is awesome.  It is really stable in the hot rock areas I went through, including around basalt and other types of hot rocks.

• Like 2