GPX 6000 Faults - The Definitive Poll

Have you had a fault with your GPX 6000  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had a fault with your GPX 6000 coils

• Yes, I've had to have one replaced
    • No, all good for me
  2. 2. Has your detector itself had a fault, this includes intermittant errors like an ! mark error on the screen and batteries

• Yes
    • Not yet
  3. 3. Does your GPX 6000 shaft twist?

• Yes, it does
    • Not yet

8 minutes ago, phrunt said:

And instances like Bill Southern where his GPX was introduced to a rock in a bad way.

I linked the video to start at the juicy bit 🙂

That’s a glowing endorsement of the coil lead. Kept on going strong. I think there was a great point made earlier the way people treat an expensive, sensitive electronic equipment mystifies me. Sure it’s got to be fit for purpose but leaving equipment bouncing around in the back of Ute’s, locked up in cars in stifling heat and never doing any cleaning it maintenance.

Having been in business thus dealing with customers my complete working life, other than my initial apprenticeship, 20 years of that manufacturing as a sole trader, thus salesmen, floor sweeper, fabricator etc I got a bit of a handle on customers in that time. Genuine faults were easy to rectify and did not add a lot to the finished cost of product but customers emotional outburst added a lot to the cost of the finished product because they took a lot of my time (time is money) to address without achieving any progress in the products suitability for the market.

I have had very little trouble with the 6K (problems and workarounds posted on this 4M), it has earnt itself many times over, in fact I have had not sent a ML product back on a warranty claim except for two 18" coils on the initial SD2100. To me ML detectors have been the backbone of a very successful hobby and I usually buy on release each new one pronto, going right back to the VlF days, ML detectors are thorough breds and as thorough breds they require the rider/user to give them their head with each successive one having more productive capabilities providing the user learnt how to operate.

Now what I`m going to say next will not be popular, stop expecting perfection unless you give perfection and you don`t if your human because I am tired of paying for your human emotional outburst that manufacturers have to spend time thus charge me for in each new product I buy.

Whilst here I like ML have 40 plus year old products I produced still operating as they did when manufactured. That`s my emotional outburst from the other side of the fence out of the way.

• Like 6

RE: broken shaft:

Anyone else thinking "Easy one! Hammer in a hardwood dowel with epoxy resin" and carry on??

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
On 6/4/2022 at 3:35 PM, Norvic said:

Having been in business thus dealing with customers my complete working life, other than my initial apprenticeship, 20 years of that manufacturing as a sole trader, thus salesmen, floor sweeper, fabricator etc I got a bit of a handle on customers in that time. Genuine faults were easy to rectify and did not add a lot to the finished cost of product but customers emotional outburst added a lot to the cost of the finished product because they took a lot of my time (time is money) to address without achieving any progress in the products suitability for the market.

I have had very little trouble with the 6K (problems and workarounds posted on this 4M), it has earnt itself many times over, in fact I have had not sent a ML product back on a warranty claim except for two 18" coils on the initial SD2100. To me ML detectors have been the backbone of a very successful hobby and I usually buy on release each new one pronto, going right back to the VlF days, ML detectors are thorough breds and as thorough breds they require the rider/user to give them their head with each successive one having more productive capabilities providing the user learnt how to operate.

Now what I`m going to say next will not be popular, stop expecting perfection unless you give perfection and you don`t if your human because I am tired of paying for your human emotional outburst that manufacturers have to spend time thus charge me for in each new product I buy.

Whilst here I like ML have 40 plus year old products I produced still operating as they did when manufactured. That`s my emotional outburst from the other side of the fence out of the way.

Nice essay,but if you payed $8,000 for a state of the art detector and get a box full of faulty cheap plastic rubbish,yeh i'm gunna shout from the roof tops.Just waiting to see how the Garret Axiom pans out.If its a goer i'm jumping ship.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 6:06 AM, Jonathan Porter said:

A Purchase date would show a lot relative to any issues. There is no doubt there were problems at release with rightfully unhappy customers, I personally as a dealer have gone above and beyond to help those few people as best I can. Who you buy your detector from can have a big bearing on your experience. 

Not the point.Minelab should not of released the 6 till it sorted out the bugs and at least checked the products.I'm not on Minelabs payroll.Why should I have to do the quality test for them.Wasting our time seems to be a sport of Minelabs.Looks like the expression time is money only refers to them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/4/2022 at 3:37 PM, jrbeatty said:

RE: broken shaft:

Anyone else thinking "Easy one! Hammer in a hardwood dowel with epoxy resin" and carry on??

That's what I did with my Ole, beloved sovereign. I ran that thing into the ground, lol. Had crap ducttaped , dowel rod, etc. But...it gave me 10 years of very hard use, and abuse, and was still going strong when I gave her up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nugget said:

Not the point.Minelab should not of released the 6 till it sorted out the bugs and at least checked the products.I'm not on Minelabs payroll.Why should I have to do the quality test for them.Wasting our time seems to be a sport of Minelabs.Looks like the expression time is money only refers to them. 

You started out really liking your 6K, having successful finds and calling it a “magic wand” not that long ago, what happened with it since then?  Hope it works out. I didn’t have any issues with mine except just wishing there was a smaller coil for it, but now there is so I am going with that until the Garrett wave washes by then we’ll see. There will be many options coming soon, so I hope you don’t have to have a fire sale with your 6k.

I haven't been using my 6000, detecting takes a back seat over winter but I think I'm all sorted now with my problems so I'll be starting to use it again soon, I'm looking forward to using it especially with the smaller coils, JW has proven to me it's a good small gold slayer in our area, he's done very well with it by taking advantage of the hot edges of the mono coils.