Impressions On Water Hunting With The Deus 2

Are you using the 9 or 11 in the water? You mentioned how easy it was to swing in the water which is encouraging to hear. It's always great to read about your adventures. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Skate said:

Are you using the 9 or 11 in the water? You mentioned how easy it was to swing in the water which is encouraging to hear. It's always great to read about your adventures. 

I have the 9" coil. No problem with depth, up on the beach you can dig junk all the way to about 14" 🤣 I wiped the good stuff out with my other detector 3 days ago. Yesterday I got some new drops and for some reason one old nickel with the Deus 2.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

I have to say river hunting is pretty tough itself, but hunting in surf has to be brutal. All the things I had to think of, like making sure everything was secured properly,

Yes, one's world really changes when getting hit with forceful 3-4' walls of water. 😁

Good to see your getting dips in! 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, midalake said:

Yes, one's world really changes when getting hit with forceful 3-4' walls of water. 😁

Good to see your getting dips in! 

My hats' off to you guys and SCUBA divers. 👍 After all I've read about the Deus in water I was pleased. I like the bone conduction headphones, and didn't find swinging the detector to be any worse than my other one. The shaft is not solid round so it cuts a little better. Having the confidence to dunk it didn't hurt either!

For those that think the D2 won't hit small targets in bad ground, consider this story:

I got a 46/47 in about 2' of water, scooped and scooped and kept losing it. I was sure it was an earring that was falling out of the scoop. 🤬 Chased it around for about 15 minutes, then came back later determined to get it.

I wish I still had it, must have lost it cleaning out my pockets, but it was a tiny aluminum shoelace rivet, 1/8" wide by 1/16". 😀 The sand in the water was 5 bar mineralized.

That’s the calmess ocean water I ever saw. Looks like the Chesapeake Bay on a calm day. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Carolina said:

That’s the calmess ocean water I ever saw. Looks like the Chesapeake Bay on a calm day. 

It's not far from the Bay. Last 3 days were hot and dry with little or no wind. It got a bit choppy when the tide came in. 🙂 It was a great opportunity to get some experience.

11 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

For those that think the D2 won't hit small targets in bad ground, consider this story:

I got a 46/47 in about 2' of water, scooped and scooped and kept losing it. I was sure it was an earring that was falling out of the scoop. 🤬 Chased it around for about 15 minutes, then came back later determined to get it.

I wish I still had it, must have lost it cleaning out my pockets, but it was a tiny aluminum shoelace rivet, 1/8" wide by 1/16". 😀 The sand in the water was 5 bar mineralized.

I also detected a shoelace rivet with Deus 2 using the General program. I was impressed that it hit that target at about 2" depth in 10 bar mineralization. I weighed it and it came in at .34 grams.

I am definitely one of the people that has wondered where the target size/weight drop off is on Deus 2 since I do a lot of tiny gold prospecting. I will say that my Deus 1 is more sensitive to smaller targets under .25 gram than Deus 2 using what should be their most sensitive modes and settings so far.  The same goes for Deus 2 Mono at 40+ kHz vs Deus 2 in any of its 40 kHz FMF modes. Throw in salt or iron mineralization and who knows.......

• Like 1

Way to take one for us landlubbers, F350! I appreciate your insights as always. If I ever do decide to get my feet wet, so to speak, I'll take the D2. So far, I've not had the opportunity to beach hunt with the Deus II, but I'm looking forward to giving it a go. The East Coast beaches I've been to in the past have some brutal waves and are very popular with surfers, so I expect to take a beating in the water. 😎

• Thanks 1