Possibly Gold?

Doesn't appear to be gold. Looks more like a meteorite or a rock with high iron content. Did you put it up to a magnet? 

• Like 2

It is not gold but if you only want to prove it is gold, put it in some strong spirit of salt (HCl acid) for a while it will remove/ dissolve the none gold coating and maybe the lot of your find. 

• Like 1

Maybe you have already found your first nugget.  But I remember when I was looking for that first elusive nugget.  Pictures of grandeur would enter my mind as I walked miles through gullies over cactus and rattlesnakes.  I would dig down 2 feet and repeatedly find nails.  And then the old bullets so marred up you would swear it had to be gold or some other precious metal.  But it wasn't.  But the funny thing is, after I found that first nugget I never asked that question again.  I forever knew the feel and look of gold.  And I never questioned again, whether unicorns existed.

Ok.. too much time at the book store.. google prospecting.  And Waaaay too much coffee.  Good luck out there!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Andyy said:

Maybe you have already found your first nugget.  But I remember when I was looking for that first elusive nugget.  Pictures of grandeur would enter my mind as I walked miles through gullies over cactus and rattlesnakes.  I would dig down 2 feet and repeatedly find nails.  And then the old bullets so marred up you would swear it had to be gold or some other precious metal.  But it wasn't.  But the funny thing is, after I found that first nugget I never asked that question again.  I forever knew the feel and look of gold.  And I never questioned again, whether unicorns existed.

Ok.. too much time at the book store.. google prospecting.  And Waaaay too much coffee.  Good luck out there!!

How true for most  people, but you can be fooled till it gets in your hand.       I remember during the early VLF days I got a signal in a contour channel that was done to stop erosion. At this stage of detecting I had found over 50 ounces of gold. That day I was using my wife's Whites Detector when I got the target. I looked down and saw what look like an inch sized rusty nut. I decided to see how well her detector discriminated. It did not reject it like my Garretts would of done (if Iron), so decided to take it back to the Van and show her. It was a real surprise when I got it in my hand it felt heavier than if it was made out of lead, then I knew it was a good nugget.  The nugget was a 2 ounce bit once soaked in full strength HCl acid. Before I cleaned it I asked a couple of full time prospectors what they though it was. They all said junk till I dropped in their hand. By the way, in it original form/state I could drag it along the table top with a super magnet much to everybody's surprize.   

• Like 1