I’ve Been Converted From 3 Tones To Square Pitch

ColonelDan

I'm PCM pitch myself, but definitely pitch tones on the beach all the way with D2.   Thought I might be switching over to Full Tones occasionally to interrogate for aluminum, but frankly, saw no need to do that.  Just scooped it and moved on.  Pitch gives you a sense of depth and footprint for the target you are about to scoop (or not).   So Beach Sensitive Pitch is my go to on dry, wet salt, and ocean surf.

• Like 8

When I was using the BH-01 headphones the detector put me in square pitch. It was different, going to try this stuff tomorrow at the beach. 👍

• Like 3

I agree pitch mode is a great beach option.

I've been using square pitch in fresh water and I'm really liking it so far. Gold rings are what I'm after at the beach and their target ID's run the gamut so it doesn't bother me if the remote is submerged and I have no indication of conductivity. I dig all clean sounding targets which seem to be obvious in pitch mode. There's lots audio information there, I don't know what it all means yet. Some of my observations; Many junk targets have iron edges to them or maybe an overlaid iron tone, like our plated steel Canadian clad and bottle caps which I've been digging to see, but have now started leaving. The pitch & magnitude of the tone gives a great idea of the depth (and or size?) of target you're on. I think pitch mode combined with a higher audio response does a great job of bringing up and IDing deep targets with the lower pitched response. I find I have to take a couple scoops out on those deeps before I can tell if it's a clean target or iron edges or broken signal start to appear. 

I have been using a notch from the point of discrimination 08 to 25 which I'm not sure is a good idea or not? I'd certainly appreciate any opinions on that.

• Like 3

Brad,  Regarding the notch function, as I stated in the OP, I never notch any range of numbers as the variation of gold metallurgical composition spans a wide range of TID numbers in the mid conductivity scale.  You could easily notch out a nice gold ring when trying to eliminate some forms of junk.  

• Like 6

I’ve been using pitch square tones  in beach program for turf  hunting. Notch and bottle caps at zero, Magnetic ground on accept and salt on 7 or lower. Works well more stable in bad ground.  Better than park program.

• Like 3

On 6/5/2022 at 5:14 PM, cdv said:

I'll try it too however I do have a concern with a single tone in the water IF you can't see the screen due to depth or murky water.... 

Cliff

It’s actually two tone if you are using disc with iron volume, the iron will register with a lower tone.  Yes you are recovering all non ferrous but you can characterize some attributes of the target (e.g., target footprint) based on the pitch tone width/duration.  It’s pretty effective.  Not dissimilar to the Excal which is a pure tone machine.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

It’s actually two tone if you are using disc with iron volume, the iron will register with a lower tone.  Yes you are recovering all non ferrous but you can characterize some attributes of the target (e.g., target footprint) based on the pitch tone width/duration.  It’s pretty effective.  Not dissimilar to the Excal which is a pure tone machine.

I'm slow on posting Chase, I dug back into the manual after my post above only to see that you CAN distinguish iron (2 tones). I gave it a go the other day and was pleasantly surprised. No great targets but it was fun in the water after a short trial on the dry sand. Today will be a good test with the bone phones and my snorkel. Overall I'm happy with all this machine can do.

Cliff

• Like 3