Short Beach Hunt -testing Recommended Settings And Bh-01 Headphones

As promised in another thread, I went to my small beach with the Deus 2 to try out settings that @ColonelDan posted. While I had similar results with simply using Beach Sensitive and Beach programs, I was intrigued by the tweaks. 20220606_091257.thumb.jpg.230f42bb64bca5d38883da4e23e2017e.jpg

Another beautiful day, I was only at this spot for 3 hours, it's my 13th wedding anniversary. My wife insisted I go as long as I spent the rest of the day doing what she wanted to. Who could say no? 😀

I quickly set up Beach Sensitive using the settings from this thread:

Off I went. I used Reactivity 1.5 and everything else as mentioned. I don't move very fast, but wanted a bit quicker response. Typically if a target, especially in the water, is much deeper than 12" I don't want to leave a crater so I pass on it. Faint signals are usually deep. I try to refill holes when people are there in the water.

First thing I noticed was that when I encountered large shallow iron, the BH-01 headphones just about jumped off my head, the sensation was almost painful, so I turned audio volume down to 8. I was also worried about blowing up the phones 😀 it happened a few more times so with the bone conduction headphones I'll have to figure out a better volume for iron.

Otherwise, the bottle cap rejection was great, I scooped a few but knew what they were.20220606_131455.thumb.jpg.e5ff722657fb8e84a2eca9b920afd6b9.jpg

This beach and the sand underwater out to about chest deep is pretty clear of targets, especially since I've been here. 😁 I got two other large sinkers and a nice croaker rig but left them for fishermen. I like the settings, even deep targets jump right out. Just have to do something about that iron blast 🤔 it shakes the headphones so much I fear damage.

I really like square pitch audio and the BH-01 headphones. It's great having situational awareness and loud audio for targets, as I have long hoped to have with bone conduction. Hopefully a wireless pair will be developed eventually.

I find the headphones comfortable, even like they're not there - both with wire in front or back. The audio is excellent when positioned properly. I'll probably leave the Deus 2 in permanent beach mode!

The only target that jumped out for me today was a 2001 clad quarter, so again not a total skunk. Solid 95.20220606_173907.thumb.jpg.9396c4083308a27d2eedc6ce83515f51.jpg

I'm going to let this place alone for a while, probably until after 4 July. I've got other water hunts coming up, but by then here will be beach only because of the jellyfish. It was a great day to get out and hack around, and I took my wife and dog out all afternoon, we had a blast. 🤗

Here's a gratuitous butterfly photo:

20220606_113841.thumb.jpg.b2488538dec65ae908e1230f6925fccc.jpg

Thanks to ColonelDan for the settings! 👍

• Like 9

I enjoy your post. Great photos with your writing. It's still great getting out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is one thing I do not like about the BH-01 headphones, that is the way the plug connects to the jack. Should have been straight down away from the machine, up, or to the right or left. 😵 It takes extra time to ensure I'm not grabbing the wire up with the grip handle, a lot of people have objected to this. Once in hand it's no big deal but it's not a thoughtful design.

• Like 2

I must say, I've been curious about the Bonephones, but I can't do wired phones anymore and I really don't intend to get submerged anytime soon. 🙂 It would be interesting to see some wireless bonephones or with a standard mini audio plug connected to the puck for land and beach-only use though. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Brad Plohman said:

Great report, thanks.
That bonephone big iron response sure gets your attention, alright! 🤪

Haha yes it does. Didn't seem to do it much in the vanilla programs, but for sure it's a kick in the head. Are you going to try those settings? Wow. 👍 Running hot.

I really like how stiff the wire is, it doesn't tangle with my lanyard. I think they're comfortable, but I've said it before, could just be me. The only downside for me is that darn connector. I hope they will make a BH-02 or something 😀 I'll jump on it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I must say, I've been curious about the Bonephones, but I can't do wired phones anymore and I really don't intend to get submerged anytime soon. 🙂 It would be interesting to see some wireless bonephones or with a standard mini audio plug connected to the puck for land and beach-only use though. 

The only reason I got them, and they are worth this alone to me, is that I just know I'll swat a bug in the surf and toss the WS6 in the water. 😬

I like them SO much I may even use them on land. 🙂 If the WS6 is comfortable to you, the bone phones are pretty much the same if not better.

I never thought I would write this after being spoiled by the wireless.

• Like 2