Short Beach Hunt -testing Recommended Settings And Bh-01 Headphones

As promised in another thread, I went to my small beach with the Deus 2 to try out settings that @ColonelDanย posted. While I had similar results with simply using Beach Sensitive and Beach programs, I was intrigued by the tweaks.ย 20220606_091257.thumb.jpg.230f42bb64bca5d38883da4e23e2017e.jpg

Another beautiful day, I was only at this spot for 3 hours, it's my 13th wedding anniversary. My wife insisted I go as long as I spent the rest of the day doing what she wanted to. Who could say no? ๐Ÿ˜€

I quickly set up Beach Sensitive using the settings from this thread:

Off I went. I used Reactivity 1.5 and everything else as mentioned. I don't move very fast, but wanted a bit quicker response. Typically if a target, especially in the water, is much deeper than 12" I don't want to leave a crater so I pass on it. Faint signals are usually deep. I try to refill holes when people are there in the water.

First thing I noticed was that when I encountered large shallow iron, the BH-01 headphones just about jumped off my head, the sensation was almost painful, so I turned audio volume down to 8. I was also worried about blowing up the phones ๐Ÿ˜€ it happened a few more times so with the bone conduction headphones I'll have to figure out a better volume for iron.

Otherwise, the bottle cap rejection was great, I scooped a few but knew what they were.20220606_131455.thumb.jpg.e5ff722657fb8e84a2eca9b920afd6b9.jpg

This beach and the sand underwater out to about chest deep is pretty clear of targets, especially since I've been here. ๐Ÿ˜ I got two other large sinkers and a nice croaker rig but left them for fishermen. I like the settings, even deep targets jump right out. Just have to do something about that iron blast ๐Ÿค” it shakes the headphones so much I fear damage.

I really like square pitch audio and the BH-01 headphones. It's great having situational awareness and loud audio for targets, as I have long hoped to have with bone conduction. Hopefully a wireless pair will be developed eventually.

I find the headphones comfortable, even like they're not there - both with wire in front or back. The audio is excellent when positioned properly. I'll probably leave the Deus 2 in permanent beach mode!

The only target that jumped out for me today was a 2001 clad quarter, so again not a total skunk. Solid 95.20220606_173907.thumb.jpg.9396c4083308a27d2eedc6ce83515f51.jpg

I'm going to let this place alone for a while, probably until after 4 July. I've got other water hunts coming up, but by then here will be beach only because of the jellyfish. It was a great day to get out and hack around, and I took my wife and dog out all afternoon, we had a blast. ๐Ÿค—

Here's a gratuitous butterfly photo:

20220606_113841.thumb.jpg.b2488538dec65ae908e1230f6925fccc.jpg

Thanks to ColonelDan for the settings! ๐Ÿ‘

• Like 9

I enjoy your post. Great photos with your writing. It's still great getting out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is one thing Iย do not like about the BH-01 headphones, that is the way the plug connects to the jack. Should have been straight down away from the machine, up, or to the right or left. ๐Ÿ˜ต It takes extra time to ensure I'm not grabbing the wire up with the grip handle, a lot of people have objected to this. Once in hand it's no big deal but it's not a thoughtful design.

• Like 2

I must say, I've been curious about the Bonephones, but I can't do wired phones anymore and I really don't intend to get submerged anytime soon.ย ๐Ÿ™‚ย It would be interesting to see some wireless bonephones or with a standard mini audio plug connected to the puck for land and beach-only use though.ย 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Brad Plohman said:

Great report, thanks.
That bonephone big iron response sure gets your attention, alright!ย ๐Ÿคช

Haha yes it does. Didn't seem to do it much in the vanilla programs, but for sure it's a kick in the head. Are you going to try those settings? Wow. ๐Ÿ‘ Running hot.

I really like how stiff the wire is, it doesn't tangle with my lanyard. I think they're comfortable, but I've said it before, could just be me. The only downside for me is that darn connector. I hope they will make a BH-02 or something ๐Ÿ˜€ I'll jump on it.ย 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I must say, I've been curious about the Bonephones, but I can't do wired phones anymore and I really don't intend to get submerged anytime soon.ย ๐Ÿ™‚ย It would be interesting to see some wireless bonephones or with a standard mini audio plug connected to the puck for land and beach-only use though.ย 

The only reason I got them, and they are worth this alone to me, is that I just know I'll swat a bug in the surf and toss the WS6 in the water. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

I like them SO much I may even use them on land. ๐Ÿ™‚ If the WS6 is comfortable to you, the bone phones are pretty much the same if not better.

I never thought I would write this after being spoiled by the wireless.

• Like 2