Rye Patch Keeps Giving....a Little

I'm a bit puzzled by Rye Patch, Obviously I know very little about it as I'm on the other side of the planet but some say it's hunted out and coils been over ever square inch, some say it's not and there is plenty of gold there to be found.

The results from the photos above to me says there is plenty of gold left there, albeit mostly small, unless Gerry takes his customers to secret spots away from the heavy detecting traffic that are just unknown areas.

Those customers presumably quite inexperienced at least with using their detectors to be there in the first place did remarkably well.  The Nox users seemed to pull a decent amount of gold, not much different to others really.

It's more getting the coil over the gold than the detector used by the look of most of those results.  Yes, there maybe some nuggets certain detectors do better than others on but they all did very well I think.  I'm sure some of those Nox users went away from the event thinking they saved a lot of money on their detector yet still did pretty well by comparison.  Yes I know part of your course is showing some detectors will hit other nuggets better than others and deeper etc, great tool for up selling and educational purposes as it really is a fact, over all I think all of the customers in the photos did pretty well and deserve a pat on the back, and by the way it was described the Nox users deserve the biggest pat on the back as they had all the odds against them and pulled through with the goods.

Did we have any first nugget found people there Gerry? Did you break any in!

I'd like to go to Rye Patch some day,  It'd be interesting to experience it myself.  Western Australia would also be on the bucket list especially if the world hits a global cooling period, too hot for me.

I like your story posts Gerry, great photos too.

Just one more thing, how does the guy in the 3rd photo not smack himself in the face with his pick all the time with where he positions his pick holder? 🙂

• Like 1

RP is a world on its own. Either you hate it or you love it. It is a very impressive and intense landscape but can be unforgiving. I have done the best there with the 7000. It's a vast open land, so unless you know exactly where to look a very small coil might not be something I would personally recommend.

GC

• Like 1

Gerry,

Maybe you and a couple of the other Rye Patch 'old timers' can give some weight to your words.  I've made about 20 trips there over the years beginning in 2011 and I'd say I'd be around an ounce or so total gold weight.  I remember calling you once about 10 years ago to get some pointers and you gave a few.  It took me another 10 years before I took one of your classes.

Some of your instructors have found pounds (12 troy oz to a pound) of gold there.  They told me and I know others that have found pounds over the years in the 'greater Rye Patch' area.  I think Rye Patch proper and the Rye Patch 'placers' could be limited to about 4-5 sections of land.  You could probably find a stray nugget or two on lands 3-4 times that size.

There were some patches based upon elevation.  Some were based upon the ancient lake that was once there.  Some had the chevron nuggets and some were associated with dykes.  Many were pushed over the years and dry washed and/or detected.  

I'm not an expert on it but I really like the wide open space of it and I've had more lean days than rich ones but they are all good in my book.

Mitchel

• Like 8

Last time I talked to Danny, he said he stopped charging for permission to detect on his claims. He has 1000 acres up the hill a bit that they have taken water to and are working on a project up there that will be open to the public. He said the last person he gave permission to for the claims found 20 something nuggets in a couple of days, that was in October so I imagine they took a 6k out. 
I wouldn’t bother going to his claims because they have been hunted out. 😉 I might just drive down here in a week or two to make sure there isn’t any left. 

• Like 2

On 6/10/2022 at 1:45 PM, phrunt said:

Just one more thing, how does the guy in the 3rd photo not smack himself in the face with his pick all the time with where he positions his pick holder? 🙂

We teach them to put the pick on their shoulder or back.  Having a pick there on his hip will not allow the user to get full proper sweep without interference when using a PI.  Good catch.

On 6/11/2022 at 3:29 AM, mn90403 said:

Gerry,

Maybe you and a couple of the other Rye Patch 'old timers' can give some weight to your words. 

I'll make a separate post (my 25+ yrs at Rye Patch) as I do feel it deserves it's own thread.  I know many who will want to chime in.  Give me a few days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1