Price Range Of New Detectors

I'm sure most of you have seen that the price of some of the greatest detectors are under a thousand. The major ones have keep the price between 7 and 8 hundred with some less. This is all good news for us the buyer. For what I see I'm not getting something less in the detector but more for my money.

I think detector companies know it's more of us out there that is willing and can afford 8 hundred are less. With the higher number of sales because of the lower price they'll make more money in the long run.

That's my opinion but I want to know yours.

Chuck

Phones, computers - consumer electronics in general, you get more bang for the buck as time goes by. I don't find that surprising, I expect it.

The sweet spot depends on the retailer. Big box stores crank out under $300 units like candy. Ace 250 good example and not bad detectors for the money. For detector dealers the sweet spot is around $500 - $700 and for that much money nearly all detectorists can get all the detector they really need. Large number of units here from First Texas, Garrett AT units, Minelab X-Terra, Nokta/Makro units, White's MXT etc. Then you get the hard core serious users where $1500 - $2500 is turning into the new normal. Think Deus and CTX 3030.

When I talk to first time nugget hunters who may or may not get serious about things I tend to bring up the Gold Bug Pro and for beginners wanting a do it all machine it is hard to go wrong with an MXT or X-Terra 705. For waterproof the AT Pro screams value. Other people might make other picks but those are just four super popular, super well proven and yet very reasonably priced machines. Very high bang for buck ratios all for under $800.

You are right that detector companies make the big bucks on machines that sell for a few hundred dollars. However, the market is now so impossibly flooded with those types of units you are going to see more push on the high end. The low dollar guy may buy a detector once and in the closet it goes. People like me buy a hundred detectors in a lifetime and are not shy of spending large dollar amounts. We have been under served to a certain degree but that is changing now. Look for more selectable frequency machines, more multi frequency machines, more new technology machines aimed at higher price points.

• Like 1

I've never ran a coin detector that had more than one frequency. When the Nokta Impact comes out I can't say right now but it could be my first. I too will be sitting back like some on the MXS to see what's said.

Chuck

It seems that once you get in to that $499 and upwards bracket that there is little difference in performance so to speak and within the $499 to $1000 bracket it is more about the features that suit your needs, Once I was doing some major testing on many new machines and I found the Gold Bug pro and the old Tesoro Silver Sabre were two very clever machines above all others regardless of cost, with the help of a friend who just happened to find a Gold Celtic 1/4 Stater the day before, (lucky devil) we were checking out about 10 machines that could really deal with Iron and junk and he placed this Tiny Gold coin on top of a Plough Blade and only these two machines could pick out it was there, now both of these machines have been around a while and I have still yet to find any others that can do that test baring in mind that coin is only 1/4" = 6mm across, So you don't have to spend big bucks to find the good gear left in the ground. even to this day when I go in to the detector shop and see one of them I always look at them out of the corner of my eye and smile.

John