Help Finding Places To Detect

12 hours ago, Jack992007 said:

Can someone tell me how they find places to metal detect for old relics such as coins? Like specific websites, maps, etc.

It's not that simple. How about putting an intro in Meet and Greet? Where you live (not specific), whether it is rural or city, what you have for a detector, that sort of thing. 🙂 Context is everything.

If you live in a city there are parks, schools, other public places that may be available but you have to research them. It would be awful to get kicked out or worse if you don't know the rules!

If you live in a rural area, there are farms and old houses, you have to cultivate (pun intended) trust relationships with the landowners.

Beaches are usually not off limits, but again almost all have some sort of rules. Some are off limits, and you need to know which.

After we establish what you are looking to do we can help you with much more.

Welcome to the forum! 🙂

• Like 8

A lot depends on where you live. Start by studying the history of your area. Google "History of your town". Old farm fields are the best. Just stop and ask permission.

Where I am in NH, many places of high human activity have returned to woods.

A good place to start might be in the vicinity of RR tracks. Most were built in the 1800s. It took a lot of man hours to build them. Look for places where the workers may have had lunch. Some bridges took weeks or months to build where the workers would be for a long time. Vagrants often lived near RR tracks, sometimes in large camps for safety. They all carried coins.

River banks often had a lot of activity. Look for where people might have fished, gone swimming, or camped. It may have looked completely different 100 years ago.

Think positive. Imagine all the ways people can lose coins. At night in the dark, in deep grass or snow, falling down, fighting, taking alcohol, cutting trees, riding horses, fixing wagons. The possibilities are endless.

• Like 5

You can go to the library and get historical books of your area, old plat books that show old houses and things that went on your area. 

There is a historical map web site where you can overlay old county maps over a new map. It helps you find different things. http://www.historicmapworks.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwnZaVBhA6EiwAVVyv9K5SecYKk8eoi_RhHExxpVFLFqBWibwj53Iv9O5KUm6YltRQXHyI2RoC7gIQAvD_BwE

If you are in a rural area, drive down 2 tracks looking for cellar holes, look for Walnut trees and in the spring, lilac bushes are signs something was there. Old 1 room school houses, old churches, ask permission at old houses, old campgrounds...Like was said beaches and hunt in the water. Maybe an old long gone fairground. There are many places.

• Like 4

Google Satellite is super useful for finding places to detect. It allows you to see a lot more than you would driving around. It's my number one research tool. It also helps you find access points and where to park. 

Online tax maps will often show who the land belongs to. You may be surprised how much land is public.

Something tells me this new user was looking for easy answers 🤔

Maybe so . 

It CAN be easy . Once you get the first permission the rest get easier.

Rehearse the way you ask in advance.  

Always complimenting the owner on the property is a good opener...

Do some research if you can and try to tell the owner something about the property you uncovered in the research that might not be already known . They'll usually want to find out more !

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 5:50 PM, Jack992007 said:

Can someone tell me how they find places to metal detect for old relics such as coins? Like specific websites, maps, etc.

There are no free answers.

You will have to do some research yourself or find a buddy who metal detects.

On 6/11/2022 at 8:50 PM, Jack992007 said:

Tell us what state and city you live in or near. It varies from state to state.