What The Heck Is That? Contest Won By Sevastras!

Doc

Congratulations Sevastras.  Let us know how the scoop works!  :biggrin:

• Like 1

As mentioned earlier, I think the gold trap would make a great sampling scoop, wet or dry. It also may be especially good for capturing very fine gold. I think it’s a great idea for someone who wants to travel light and get a lot of samples over a lot of terrain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My scoop has riffles, and as someone that often is on the hunt for absolutely tiny gold I find them beneficial in dry dirt.  The biggest thing for me is the scoop having flat sharp edges so I can push tiny amounts of soil into it to get the littlest bits.

• Like 1

Where I would change Doc's scoop for my needs is in the photo below.

1249841934_Docsscoop.thumb.jpg.412e5033187b1bc0d3e589ff99ce7eda.jpg

I would trim off the edge at the black line and sharpen it, this makes brushing/pushing soil on bedrock into the scoop easier for the tiny gold hunting on bedrock I do as curved edges are just useless and flat is much better for having more contact with the ground, so little of the scoop is on the ground surface with rounded edges.   Other than that small change I really like the design.  Do that and I'd even pay the crazy US shipping.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

I would trim off the edge at the black line and sharpen it, this makes brushing/pushing soil on bedrock into the scoop easier for the tiny gold hunting on bedrock I do as curved edges are just useless and flat is much better for having more contact with the ground, so little of the scoop is on the ground surface with rounded edges.   Other than that small change I really like the design.  Do that and I'd even pay the crazy US shipping.

It isnt crazy US shipping, it is your countries crazy import taxes. They are just now charging them on the front end and not collecting them on the back end because they were being told lower values for less tax. 

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

Like it, a small dust pan - it would pair up well with a small whisk broom too.

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

Well I did square off the very front of the scoop, just not as drastically as you have shown.  I have seen the scoops out there that are all angular, that is about the only feature they have going for them.  I was talking to Kevin Hoagland yesterday.  He told me he doesn't even bother trying to isolate small gold he just takes the scoop that has the target in it and dumps it in a bag and takes it home and pans it out.

I wonder with really small gold if carrying a battery operated dust buster would work to vacuum the bedrock and then dump it in a container for panning.

61-E77yNDyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sevastras said:

It isnt crazy US shipping, it is your countries crazy import taxes. They are just now charging them on the front end and not collecting them on the back end because they were being told lower values for less tax. 

I haven't experienced any shipping situation where I have to collect duties up front to Australia.  That is happening primarily in the EU countries and it's a nightmare.  I will only accept orders from EU countries through Ebay because they already have everything set up to collect the tax and submit it to the country, and I don't have to jump through all of the hoops.

Doc

• Like 1

I don't understand how capturing a nugget in the bottom of the scoop saves time? Is the idea to discard  the top portion of dirt unchecked? That seems like a way to lose even more nuggets out of a scoop than simply halving the dirt until the nugget is visible. 

I guess I've never personally had a nugget just fall out of the scoop before, but maybe it's a common problem others have and this is what the scoop is for, and not for saving time? Just curious what the use case is.

• Like 1