XP Deus II Coil Ears

Carolina

Hi all. I have two friends who are both experiencing wear on the inside of their Deus ll / 11” coil ears. Has anyone else seen or heard of this ? Mine is perfectly fine at the moment. We are all salt water,  damp, wet sand hunters.

Thanks

• The title was changed to XP Deus II Coil Ears

I have not noticed this on mine. While I mainly land hunt, I have exposed the D2 to sand lots, dry, dusty, gritty deserts, and sandy soil conditions, and so far so good. I imagine sandy beaches and salt water are the harshest conditions there are for metal detectors, so I would expect there to be some wear occuring, specially if the detectors were not cleaned properly after each hunt.

• Like 2

CPT, is right.  Sandy beaches and saltwater environments are the harshest conditions on equipment.  Ergo, I take great pains in cleaning all my things after each hunt.  Even if you don’t submerge your coil, the salt spray still gets on everything so take care.   Also, I don’t overly tighten the coil ear bolt and I put a light coating of Never Seize on the bolt assembly…a very light coat and clean that and reapply periodically. 
Just the life of a beach hunter!  😊

• Like 1

I would check with the Gigmaster or he maybe he's the one? 

Several years ago, Max's hunting buddy Kenny sent me his Excalibur ll that was having issues. And this was a machine just out of warranty, I guess he used it several times a week and never really took the time to check the coil and shaft's rubber bushing. Both sides were wore out and the shaft clevis had cut into the coil ears, bad. I checked the knob shaft o-rings on it and they were dryrotted..

Like said above, I think it is a matter of maintaining the detector around saltwater and sand.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Several years ago, Max's hunting buddy Kenny sent me his Excalibur ll that was having issues. And this was a machine just out of warranty, I guess he used it several times a week and never really took the time to check the coil and shaft's rubber bushing. Both sides were wore out and the shaft clevis had cut into the coil ears, bad. I checked the knob shaft o-rings on it and they were dryrotted..

Like said above, I think it is a matter of maintaining the detector around saltwater and sand.

A coil you can get tight enough not to move does not wear. But run your coil loose and wear will happen.  When your coil is too loose, waves and pressures move it all time, their is your wear issue.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I guess Kenny is Guru. Hahahahaha yes gigmaster is one of them lol. That man is rough on everything. I think he broke 4 or 5 NOX coils and three or four Nox’s. The other is mumbles man, another one of Max’s old hunting buddies. For those who don’t know, the Deus uses only one rubber washer on one side of the coil. What they call a spacer on the other. I think that will be a problem for salt water beach hunters. After all, the machine has three beach programs. You would think this would have shown up in testing.  I run a aftermarket CF shaft that the clevis uses two rubber washers, one on each side. So does my friend John who like me has seen no wear. I’m not sure that one sided rubber washer will hold up on the beach. We shall see. Keep in mind these guys have years and years of water hunting so regular cleaning is not the problem. Good luck everybody and thanks. You water hunters check those ears.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carolina said:

I guess Kenny is Guru. Hahahahaha yes gigmaster is one of them lol. That man is rough on everything. I think he broke 4 or 5 NOX coils and three or four Nox’s. The other is mumbles man, another one of Max’s old hunting buddies. For those who don’t know, the Deus uses only one rubber washer on one side of the coil. What they call a spacer on the other. I think that will be a problem for salt water beach hunters. After all, the machine has three beach programs. You would think this would have shown up in testing.  I run a aftermarket CF shaft that the clevis uses two rubber washers, one on each side. So does my friend John who like me has seen no wear. I’m not sure that one sided rubber washer will hold up on the beach. We shall see. Keep in mind these guys have years and years of water hunting so regular cleaning is not the problem. Good luck everybody and thanks. You water hunters check those ears.

You know I seen that single side rubber bushing on the D2 a few weeks ago. Looked strange but I never put it together. Good Luck and keep us informed.

Have you been deep with the D2 yet? Just wondering, one of the guys up here had a 11 inch D2 and he said it was chatty. But he did just get the machine.

And I agree with Mid-Lake, movement is grinding. Maybe some kind of shaft stabilizer on the D2, the list just keeps getting longer and longer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

And I agree with Mid-Lake, movement is grinding. Maybe some kind of shaft stabilizer on the D2, the list just keeps getting longer and longer. 

Yep, the hardware as configured out of the box is not ideal for use of the D2 for water hunting.  When you have a detector that is versatile vs. single purpose, something is going to be suboptimized.  

As Carolina said (and uses), similar to Nox, a 3rd party shaft system purpose built for water hunting should be acquired and should solve the issue.  XP focused on salt performance for D2 but apparently only addressed minor hardware tweaks as a nod to water hunting (clip on antenna, lanyard strap attachment point) yet retained the same land-hunter focused shaft/stem system as D1 without modification.  Off center coil attachment point is another miss for water hunting (though Tarsacci suffers the same issue), so yeah, add that to the list.  At least we're starting to see results posted consistent with decent salt performance, something you can't fix with third party hardware band aids.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

You know I seen that single side rubber bushing on the D2 a few weeks ago. Looked strange but I never put it together. Good Luck and keep us informed.

Have you been deep with the D2 yet? Just wondering, one of the guys up here had a 11 inch D2 and he said it was chatty. But he did just get the machine.

The list for the Deus ll as you put it is much mirrored by your favorite machine I think. The shaft on the Excal. is most always replaced for a more conventional such as hip mount, behind shoulder or your favorite, over under after market shaft. The hard wired coil ( only two choices, 8”&10” ) calls for a interchangeable coil mod. The hard wired POS headphones also call for replacement or mod for interchangeable phone mod. The ever present control knob failure of the blue inserts is a reality that must be dealt with high priced Minelab replacements or third party after market replacements. Most always a battery swap to lipo battery packs and yearly replacements of control knob sealing O rings rounds out the list keeps getting longer and longer. They both fall very close in price also, with one with cutting edge new technology and the other 25 year old technology. Yet, this is your machine of choice, sooooo, don’t be so quick to write off the Deus ll. Yes it has its failures, but I tell you, In my book the Deus ll is a whole lot of bang for your bucks. I know in the beginning CD made a lot of idiotic comments directed towards you and the Excalibur, that probably did not help your reviews on the Deus. Don’t let an idiot run your fun with this machine. Give it a chance, in the long run, I think you will like it. Nobody has stuck behind the Fisher AQ more than you and I and it’s because you have taken the time to learn the machine and know where and when to use it. The same can be said for the Deus ll I think. Get up off some of that money you got and buy one 😂. Just keep it up in MD. and don’t bring it down here !!! I have enough top caliber looters swinging one now as it is. Look forward to your visit and take care.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carolina said:

The list for the Deus ll as you put it is much mirrored by your favorite machine I think. The shaft on the Excal. is most always replaced for a more conventional such as hip mount, behind shoulder or your favorite, over under after market shaft. The hard wired coil ( only two choices, 8”&10” ) calls for a interchangeable coil mod. The hard wired POS headphones also call for replacement or mod for interchangeable phone mod. The ever present control knob failure of the blue inserts is a reality that must be dealt with high priced Minelab replacements or third party after market replacements. Most always a battery swap to lipo battery packs and yearly replacements of control knob sealing O rings rounds out the list keeps getting longer and longer. They both fall very close in price also, with one with cutting edge new technology and the other 25 year old technology. Yet, this is your machine of choice, sooooo, don’t be so quick to write off the Deus ll. Yes it has its failures, but I tell you, In my book the Deus ll is a whole lot of bang for your bucks. I know in the beginning CD made a lot of idiotic comments directed towards you and the Excalibur, that probably did not help your reviews on the Deus. Don’t let an idiot run your fun with this machine. Give it a chance, in the long run, I think you will like it. Nobody has stuck behind the Fisher AQ more than you and I and it’s because you have taken the time to learn the machine and know where and when to use it. The same can be said for the Deus ll I think. Get up off some of that money you got and buy one 😂. Just keep it up in MD. and don’t bring it down here !!! I have enough top caliber looters swinging one now as it is. Look forward to your visit and take care.

Thanks buddy.....  I'm just a stubborn old goat. Who has problems changing, I have a couple friends with D2's, sooner or later I'll know answers. And even then,.... if I don't see these guys producing ... I may never change....