XP Deus II Coil Ears

Carolina

5 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Thanks buddy.....  I'm just a stubborn old goat. Who has problems changing, I have a couple friends with D2's, sooner or later I'll know answers. And even then,.... if I don't see these guys producing ... I may never change.... 

Well you are old !!! I just hope everyone down here buys a new NOX and maybe a Legend, they are much better machines. 😇.

9 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I have a couple friends with D2's, sooner or later I'll know answers. And even then,.... if I don't see these guys producing ... I may never change.... 

Naw, I wouldn’t base your decision solely on that, Joe. You know you’re a much better gold magnet than those guys regardless of what you and they are swinging.  Just because they aren’t producing with the D2 doesn’t mean in your capable hands you can’t somehow turn the D2 into some magic gold finding wand.  :laugh:

As a DMV local and relatively competent relic hunter with the D2, I could trade you general and salt water D2 setup tips in person for some pointers on how this land lubber can be less inept at water detecting.  :biggrin:

On second thought,  who needs you pulling even more gold out of the Chesapeake and who needs me stumbling around in the Bay making a mess of things. :smile:

Happy Hunting out there!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2022 at 6:22 PM, Carolina said:

Hi all. I have two friends who are both experiencing wear on the inside of their Deus ll / 11” coil ears. Has anyone else seen or heard of this ? Mine is perfectly fine at the moment. We are all salt water,  damp, wet sand hunters.

Thanks

Mine has some wear on the non rubber washer side ear.  I salt water hunt and wash very well after each hunt.  I have the coil as tight as I can get it without breaking something.  The lower rod also has severe wear on the non rubber washer side.  It has to be happening during the hunt on sand as I do wash unit very well after each hunt so it can't be wearing from lots of sand left behind while I'm land hunting .  The coil moving just 1/4" can cause wear when sand is involved.  I did buy the Anderson carbon fiber shaft and it uses washers on each side.  I bought it because the washer side of the Deus shaft looked great . So I'm hoping I have no more wear issues .  The shaft itself feels great.  A couple small mods and it's ready to go.  

Screenshot_20220622-094638_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220622-093912_Photos.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, basstrackerman said:

Mine has some wear on the non rubber washer side ear.  I salt water hunt and wash very well after each hunt.  I have the coil as tight as I can get it without breaking something.  The lower rod also has severe wear on the non rubber washer side.  It has to be happening during the hunt on sand as I do wash unit very well after each hunt so it can't be wearing from lots of sand left behind while I'm land hunting .  The coil moving just 1/4" can cause wear when sand is involved.  I did buy the Anderson carbon fiber shaft and it uses washers on each side.  I bought it because the washer side of the Deus shaft looked great . So I'm hoping I have no more wear issues .  The shaft itself feels great.  A couple small mods and it's ready to go.  

Screenshot_20220622-094638_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220622-093912_Photos.jpg

Interesting the wear pattern. Seems the bottom of the ear is the tightest viewing the wear pattern. I think you will have no more wear with the new shaft set up. Thanks for the reply and good luck.

• Like 2

So for the record here is the washer side of the 11 inch coil and the lower shaft. Zero wear. You would probably never have a problem. But as you see the non-washer side has them little cavities that probably holds sand and I imagine the coil ear is wearing near the bottom more because the sand will fall out the bottom first that's a poor design for salt water hunters.  if one wanted to keep using that stock shaft then maybe use some JB weld and fill in them divots so sand can't be stored in there? I'm not sure what the answer would be or like gigmaster did and I also did it temporarily is use a legend or simplex lower carbon fiber shaft I may go ahead and pick up another one and do a little quick fix to get it to work on the stock lower shaft. But for now I'm just going to use my Anderson shaft for everything. And you can even see there's still some salt a little crumb of salt left in one of them little divots and that's after it was washed just spray it down it was actually stuck in there I had to take a pic to remove it for whatever reason it was just like glued itself inside that coil divot.  It would be great if XP would at least offer a different lower rod with two washers for saltwater hunters or Beach hunters cuz you probably won't have this problem if you're just diving, or just land hunting. I would imagine it's always going to be the beach hunters that may go into a foot of water or so that's going to have the problem. So if XP is looking at the forms I would hope that they would maybe design a carbon fiber lower rod with the use of two washers .. 

Screenshot_20220623-082208_Photos.jpg

20220622_093630.jpg

• Like 2

I must admit, I don't understand XP's one washer theory. That doesn't really make much sense to me, but after switching out the lower shaft to the carbon fiber shaft, I've got rubber washers on both sides now so that's not a problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, basstrackerman said:

if one wanted to keep using that stock shaft then maybe use some JB weld and fill in them divots so sand can't be stored in there? I'm not sure what the answer would be

I'm not using the factory lower. However, one possibility is taking a little stock off the washer less side and then add a thin rubber fender washer to that end. That may solve the issue. At least you would have rubber on both sides. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I must admit, I don't understand XP's one washer theory. That doesn't really make much sense to me, but after switching out the lower shaft to the carbon fiber shaft, I've got rubber washers on both sides now so that's not a problem.

Well my understanding is xp didn't want to put any pressure on the coil ears so they use one washer and use the little cone fitting to shove the lower rod over to sandwich the washer between the one coil ear and the lower rod. That way there is no pressure on the ears.  Only on the rubber washer.  It's a fantastic design for land hunting. But for salt water hunters and beach hunters where the coil needs to be tighter and more sealed at the joints then we'll a trailer brake is needed or a second rubber washer to help keep coil firmly mounted.  I feel the lower rods needs refinement... Make it carbon fiber and make it have the trailer brake (second washer).  If someone could just build a lower like that alone then it would be so helpful.  

• Like 3

The Anderson shaft has a great fit at the coil. Has adjustable mount for the remote to angle it for better viewing. Use any stock XP Deus remote mount.  I'm 6'4" and the shaft is only on third adjustment length wise and has 5 more adjustments. Very solid carbon fiber shaft great for water hunters.  Also the remote mounts flush to the hand grip making it much easier to .ake adjustments.    To be honest I don't think any of this would matter if XP came out with a better designed lower rod made for water.  

Screenshot_20220623-150313_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220623-150206_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220623-150236_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220623-150304_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220623-150252_Photos.jpg

• Like 5