How big is it and maybe you might want to take another picture of it next to a quarter.

What ever it is it looks to be plated.

2 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

How big is it and maybe you might want to take another picture of it next to a quarter.

What ever it is it looks to be plated.

It’s a bit wider than a V nickel.

I don’t think it’s plated.

Looks a lot like a reverse image of a coin with the words going backwards on the first photo.

I have seen something similar to it in some of my grandfathers stuff a few years ago.

Reading backwards I can see States of America.

I think it has an overlay of metal that is shiny with a base metal underneath.

Good luck on finding out what it is, if I get back home anytime soon I will look for grandfathers item and find out what it is.

• Like 1

Yep the photo is backwards, but it looks like a V-Nickel that was mounted in a pendant or keychain. It looks like it was smashed or run over by a heavy vehicle by the damage on the face.

1 hour ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Yep the photo is backwards, but it looks like a V-Nickel that was mounted in a pendant or keychain. It looks like it was smashed or run over by a heavy vehicle by the damage on the face.

No not backwards.

5 hours ago, Denny said:

No not backwards.

Oh, I see it now. This could be a stamp die for a V-Nickel (the backside), if so that could be very rare. It could also be a wax stamp, although I would think duplicating a US coin would be illegal. Very interesting!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NAGANT said:

maybe half of a counterfeit die,

Well during WW11 the germans did tell us they were going to nickel and dime us into submission, were they trying to make some counterfeit coins to use against us.

• Like 1

The V-nickel only lasted to 1913, so maybe WWI counterfeit, but it could also be a legit US die. There have been cases of US dies stolen and sold on the black market. Some have been used to produce fake (not produced by a US mint) collectable coins.

• Like 2