Gold & Relic Hunting With The Minelab GPX 6000

Interesting video to see how you set and run the GPX-6000 to find relics.  Even though you and Mike both found more iron targets than non ferrous, your ratios were really good and the extra depth of the PI's is there.  An added bonus of the GPX-6000 vs the GPX-4500/5000 or even GPZ-7000 is the lighter weight, better ergonomics and not being tethered to your detector.

Also nice to see you finding more gold with it in NV.

When you get into really tough terrain, you might look into the new CoilTek GOLDHAWK 10" Ellip coil as it will do 2 things better for you.  Target separation in trashy sites and rougher terrain like in brush areas.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 4

Thanks Gerry for your comments. I really like the ergonomics of the 6000 and yea not being tethered to it is a big plus. I may just have to pick up one of those new coils when they come out and a few people have reviewed them.

• Like 1

A nice, honest, unbiased assessment of the 6000 doing a relic hunt. Enjoyed the video.

• Like 2

Nice video, Andy.  In particular I like the educational part, where you explain your goals, your approach, the setup, how you interpret the sounds, what fools you, etc.  And I always appreciate seeing junk recoveries as well as the eye candy -- real detecting!  You mention Indian Head cents as being among the low tones you dig.  Do you mean the 95% coppers as well as the 12% nickel IHP's, and if so do 95% copper Lincolns also fall in the low tones, particularly the earliest Wheats which ID a bit lower (conductivity) on the IB/VLF's than the later ones?

BTW, I was hoping the wind here in Eastern Nevada would be lighter, but not so far.  :laugh:

• Like 1

Thanks Chuck. The cutoffs I gave could be different depending on depth and mineralization. But from what I've noticed thus far. The pennies you mentioned are right at that cutoff area as to whether the tone goes high or low. I'm fairly confident they will come in as low tones because the bullets and IHP give similar ID on a VLF. From the video you can see the sharps bullets gave a low tone.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Great day in the red dirt.  I recently purchased a 6000. And everything I’ve read so far is not to use the mono coil in difficult soil. You apparently had no issues. So far I’m loving the machine and can’t wait for fall.