Coiltek Goldhawk Is Impressive On My Gpx-6000

11 minutes ago, GR Guy said:

Gerry - that’s correct. I got a pretty similar response over a 18g late last year.

Guy it’s called a channel flipper (high/low, Low/high target response that flips between the two). In some quieter less mineralised soils Normal will do this on some ground variations, a sure sign you should probably go over the ground in Difficult as well.

BTW have you worked in any areas like in the pic below? Highly mineralised weathered Metabasalts, there’s heaps of it in Vic around Tarnagulla and Dunolly areas (pic is of one of my test areas here in Clermont and drove the Spiral wound X coils crazy). I was down in Vic recently and had a blast pinging bits with the 6000, just amazing how much small gold is still left in these well thrashed areas. You had to keep the coil off the ground or else saturation drove you nuts, even placing the coil on the ground to retrieve a target created a signal. A careful operator does well in these areas though.

3004C186-D2F2-464C-BA8D-E364C954F3D7.thumb.jpeg.0729c7219b8d9269366878791cdad2e0.jpeg

• Like 6

So it's the ground causing it and not the nugget? I had it happen once with the GPZ and put a video on here at the time showing it but I'd already thrown the nugget in the collection by the time I did the post and had no idea which one it was so I wasn't able to replicate it again.  I never tested the nugget once out of the hole so I didn't know what caused it, I assumed something odd with the nugget not the ground.

8 minutes ago, phrunt said:

So it's the ground causing it and not the nugget? I had it happen once with the GPZ and put a video on here at the time showing it but I'd already thrown the nugget in the collection by the time I did the post and had no idea which one it was so I wasn't able to replicate it again.  I never tested the nugget once out of the hole so I didn't know what caused it, I assumed something odd with the nugget not the ground.

That’s not what I’m saying. The detector generates a signal response from whatever triggers it to respond, either ground, target or even EMI. Sometimes it can be where the GB ends up relative to the ground being worked as described above where in quieter soils, that are a bit variable, can impact on the Normal timings by any signal that gets generated relative to the GB position at that location. 

In the case of Guy’s video the nugget is quite clearly causing the channel flipping but the GB position at that location could be playing a part in it, so if he went to another location with VERY different ground he might get a different behaviour from the detector. The ground in the video looks reasonably homogeneous but he did say there was some conductive signal due to moisture (this also can impact on channel flipping as salt effects the GB quite a lot).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

Guy it’s called a channel flipper (high/low, Low/high target response that flips between the two). In some quieter less mineralised soils Normal will do this on some ground variations, a sure sign you should probably go over the ground in Difficult as well.

You had to keep the coil off the ground or else saturation drove you nuts, even placing the coil on the ground to retrieve a target created a signal. A careful operator does well in these areas though.

Well said JP, many folks don't know in extreme bad ground to lift the coil a little. Those are advanced tips most don't know.  Luckily we don't have that many areas in US. Thanks for input. 

• Like 3

The reversed signal activates upon the conductivity of the nugget in question. Thicker, heavier ones will trigger the 'inverted' dipping signals (probably channel 1). The 6000 seems to 'trigger' the inverted signal on smaller gold than previous GPX's. Ive had even a .9gm one do it. And yes, as JP suggests, the ground conditions and use of 'difficult' certainly appears to have an affect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So what would you say the benefits of this 9" coil are over the stock 11" other than a slightly smaller size?

It's difficult to know which coils to get.

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

So what would you say the benefits of this 9" coil are over the stock 11" other than a slightly smaller size?

It's difficult to know which coils to get.

It’s my favourite of the three Goldhawk coils, but I prefer circular coils over elliptical (personal preference) normally. For a small coil it does punch deep and has great sensitivity and manoeuvrability in thick bush.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

More coils are added benefits in certain situations.  We all love the GPX-4500/5000 as there are probably close to 50 different coils to select.  Yes that's over kill and I don't know anyone who owns that many.  I did have about 10 different coils for my 4500 and each served a specific purpose.

Simon -  If you are trying to decide on the best GOLDHAWK coil for you., 10" Ellip vs the 9" round.  Here's what I have learned so far in testing them.

The 9" round has better depth on the small stuff, but the 10" Ellip can get into tighter areas.    Both coils are better than the stock 11" round, when it comes to signal cleanliness and strength on the smallest of gold.  I actually have customers needing both the 9" round and the 10" Ellip as they each have their place.  I expect the 10" Ellip will be the most popular for US sales, as it is like many of the 10" Ellip coils on the market (which that size if most popular on so many detectors).

An added bonus to the 10" Ellip is the ability to get the toe of the coil into the smallest or tight areas.  Also for optimal pinpointing.

20220604_084400.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2