Backpacks & Boots Revisited

Looking for some recommendations on backpacks and metal free boots. 

I might have some unrealistic expectations here, but this is what I am looking for. 

I use the GPZ 7000. So I'm looking for a backpack that I can replace the supplied Minelab harness. I also use the Hipstick and bungee. So the backpack would have to have heavy duty shoulder straps to accommodate the detector weight and movement. I'm not into using the Camelback water bladder.  But want a compartment to be able to hold water and a lunch and keep them from getting hot and the food squished. Also a little extra room to put a jacket or sweatshirt when starting on cold mornings. I also like to keep my pick up and away from the detector,  so I like to holster it behind my shoulder blades. 

As far as metal free boots,  I want something somewhat water resistant. I purchased these Reebok boots. They are very comfortable. But not water resistant at all, even with putting a waterproof coating on them. And for the soles on these Reebok boots are terrible. I have only wore them about a dozen times, and from the boot scrapes the tread is peeling off in chunks. So I'm looking for something else in a boot. I'd appreciate any info on what you other detectorists are using. 

20220615_130038.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like you have been peeling out trying to keep up with Klunker..🤠 

Here are a pair I got for WA when it gets cold and I cant wear the 4x4 thongs

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089K3SFNS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

They also have metal eyelets all the way unlike the picture--- i can drill them out just like i did a pair over a Klunkers a few years back... im not worried about the top ones being metal--The gold we hit is so big they dont make a difference.🤣

Battle belt is the foundation for your harness system Scotty... You can add the right suspenders and then use you imagination on things to carry around the belt- I had a first aid pouch, 2 canteen covers, and a butt pack that i carried stuff in. Be sure your suspenders have the chest strap so they dont slide off when  you bend over to dig. 

I also use Load bearing harness instead of a full backpack-- the belt is great for the hipstick (its about 5 inches wide with Molle on it so the hipstick mount will slide right in after a little mod. This type gear also keeps the pack down on the belt and off your back which is cooler in the summer, And it also allows you to use a drag loop on the top back of the harness to put your pick in to keep it right in the center of your back up high. I'll try to find a picture i have of the rig i made.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LWAEaGhBS1kUDa856

harness.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sourdough Scott said:

He pushed me down a steep hill.

But obviously not steep enough. It is a fearful endeavor to race ahead of SS when I might have a high speed blowout from poor quality metal free boots. This topic comes up at least a couple of times a year but I have yet to find a good quality high top boot suitable for the terrain that we detect here in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

• Like 2

When I was detecting winters in AZ I was going through 2 pairs of Keene mid top boots every season.  I'll turn 68 on Fri, so I can probably make 1 pair last a full season these days, but the Keene's were very susceptible to Cholla cactus through the soles.  Last year I picked up a pair of Salewa Approach boots in the mid top style.  They're not completely metal free, the top 2 lacing posts are metal.  These have been the best and most comfortable boots I've owned.  Not cheap by any means, but they have served me well.  They have a pretty stiff mid sole and take a little breaking in, but I'll be sticking to this brand from here on out.  For light detecting I still use the Keene's, but when I need to cover some rough ground the Salewa's are my go to boot.  I put them through full season with a lot of boot scrapes down in Baja and no sign of coming apart.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Condor said:

When I was detecting winters in AZ I was going through 2 pairs of Keene mid top boots every season.  I'll turn 68 on Fri, so I can probably make 1 pair last a full season these days, but the Keene's were very susceptible to Cholla cactus through the soles.  Last year I picked up a pair of Salewa Approach boots in the mid top style.  They're not completely metal free, the top 2 lacing posts are metal.  These have been the best and most comfortable boots I've owned.  Not cheap by any means, but they have served me well.  They have a pretty stiff mid sole and take a little breaking in, but I'll be sticking to this brand from here on out.  For light detecting I still use the Keene's, but when I need to cover some rough ground the Salewa's are my go to boot.  I put them through full season with a lot of boot scrapes down in Baja and no sign of coming apart.

Condor, wishing you a happy birthday on Friday.  

6 hours ago, Sourdough Scott said:

I use the GPZ 7000. So I'm looking for a backpack that I can replace the supplied Minelab harness. I also use the Hipstick and bungee. So the backpack would have to have heavy duty shoulder straps to accommodate the detector weight and movement. I'm not into using the Camelback water bladder.  But want a compartment to be able to hold water and a lunch and keep them from getting hot and the food squished. Also a little extra room to put a jacket or sweatshirt when starting on cold mornings. I also like to keep my pick up and away from the detector,  so I like to holster it behind my shoulder blades. 

Hang on tight to that hip stick. I tried to find them in Arizona and they are unavailable (a must for the GPZ7000 ... unless you are a hulk).

• Like 1

I have an assault pack like this one and some romeo boots. But some good hiking shoes work well and might keep your feet more comfortable. And my bright orange WalMart backpack lasted about five years, it doesn't have to be anything special.

I normally have about 40 lbs in my backpack so I hang it on a tree or put it on some high ground with a bright colored hankie to help me locate it. A GPS marker works too if I will be far from it.

I would recommend not detecting with your backpack on for long periods. Even if it's lightweight you will sweat more since it'll be right on your back... doubly so if it's also clipped into your harness. I like to hike in and then really focus on a small area, then move to the next.

• Like 4