Backpacks & Boots Revisited

One of the other forum members mentioned these Danner boots in 2020 and I purchased a pair.  I have to admit, they are the toughest soles of all my non metal boots.  No they are not waterproof but the ease of putting on, taking off and durability is AAA+++.  I normally go thru 2 pair of boots a year as I use my boot side scoop and heel as my shovel.  These boots are steal going strong and I expect another 2 years.  Add some mink oil and that should help with water.

https://www.danner.com/stronghold-wellington-10-brown-hot.html?___store=default_danner&gclid=CjwKCAjwqauVBhBGEiwAXOepkS0vhM3-oratUzBy29EOOyOfw0aYi-_3BsItyMCdJ2gCS2aD3kvgbhoCjWgQAvD_BwE

16741.jpg

• Like 2

I have tried several different models and none of the plastic tactical boots were up for the rough terrain where I hunt. Practically all of them, including those that I bought on respected prospecting websites and that were advertised as robust, disintegrated after a few weeks in rocky mountain terrain (cracked plastic, glue comes off the soles, etc...) My friend Bill Southern recommended these ones to me and indeed they are the only ones that are up for the task from at least a half dozen models I tried. (at least IMO).  They are 99% metal free including zipper, the only metal part is the little zipper pull tab (for whatever reason). But this has no impact on the 6000 nor the 7000 even when run super hot. They are comfy and provide excellent ankle support. I can highly recommend them. Sourdough Scott, what Reebok boot model did you have? Mine are absolutely fine and I have not the problems that you are describing.

GC

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFAC3O0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

• Like 1

The Reebok soles got weaker after Converse stopped making them, it's a shame because they were the gold standard detecting boot for years. I keep a pair around as backups while I try other boots because they are comfortable though.

I am currently using pull on waterproof Chaco boots similar style like TBoykin posted. This style is nice for detecting, the soles are built way burly. But mine don't have composite toes, they are more like water resistant than water proof, and they don't go up quite high enough and let stuff in the tops occasionally. So I'll probably try something else next season, but they are my new favorite style for general use boots right now.

Some cowboy style boots are close to perfect for detecting, can be waterproof, but they have no way to tighten the calves up and I don't know how that doesn't drive people crazy with them flopping around on the shins. 

Bates and 5-11 both give me similar sole problems as the Reeboks with the soles wearing down quick. Tactical Research boots came apart at stitching for me.

I was going to try these Timberland True Grits next - side zip, composite toe, waterproof, high tops. But I can't find them for sale in person to see if eyelets are metal and the reviews state they are massive boots and heavy, so I'm waiting to see if some store stocks them so I can try on first.

• Like 1

For boots I like the offerings from Merrell and have been using their boots for back packing, upland game hunting and nugget hunting going on 20+ years.  I'm 62 now but in my 30's I used to backpack all over the southern Sierra in heavy all leather clunky boots and never complained until I tried on a pair of lightweight, breathable Merrell's and never looked back.  There is a saying "a pound on the foot is worth 10 in the pack" and I can attest to that.  I like to cover a lot of ground and explore new areas when nugget shooting so I prefer light fast boots.   I like mid cut boots but some people prefer the extra ankle support and secure feeling they get from high boots.  Breathable boots are usually not very water proof and only water resistant at best, even with treatments.  I have tried gore-tex lined boots but the problem I have is that they run hot and your feet sweat and then get wet from the inside out.  Most Merrell boots have little to no metal in them.  The older boots were a bit tougher than recent years but I think that is the case for most everything.

I use these for open desert nugget shooting and day hiking but might be too minimalist for most people:

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-2-ventilator/27947M.html?dwvar_27947M_color=J06011#cgid=men-footwear-hiking&start=1

I use these for upland game bird hunting and is just a mid cut version of above.  Does have metal tab for top lacing.

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-2-mid-ventilator/27935M.html?dwvar_27935M_color=J06045#cgid=men-footwear-hiking&start=1

The also offer defense and tactical versions but I have not tried them:

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-2-8-inch-defense-zip-comp-toe-boot-wide-width/53627M.html?dwvar_53627M_color=J099371W

https://www.patriotoutfitters.com/merrell-moab-2-tactical-waterproof-side-zip-8-quot-boot?PMOPV1=COY&PMOPV2=11&PMOPV3=M&PMSRCE=POPLA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgpL2_NK0-AIVEQnnCh0sEQ3EEAQYBSABEgIqJvD_BwE

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

One of the other forum members mentioned these Danner boots in 2020 and I purchased a pair.  I have to admit, they are the toughest soles of all my non metal boots.  No they are not waterproof but the ease of putting on, taking off and durability is AAA+++.  I normally go thru 2 pair of boots a year as I use my boot side scoop and heel as my shovel.  These boots are steal going strong and I expect another 2 years.  Add some mink oil and that should help with water.

https://www.danner.com/stronghold-wellington-10-brown-hot.html?___store=default_danner&gclid=CjwKCAjwqauVBhBGEiwAXOepkS0vhM3-oratUzBy29EOOyOfw0aYi-_3BsItyMCdJ2gCS2aD3kvgbhoCjWgQAvD_BwE

16741.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on these boots Gerry. I just ordered a pair from Danner. Only $76.00, regular $190.00. 

Mike

• Like 2

3 hours ago, delnorter said:

Thanks for the heads up on these boots Gerry. I just ordered a pair from Danner. Only $76.00, regular $190.00. 

Mike

I promise you will be happy with the durability of the soles.  You caught a smoking deal as I was happy when I paid $140 a pair and in fact purchased a 2nd (still new in box).

In my 25+ yrs of nugget hunting, I've purchased and was not happy with the lifespan of Bates, 5.11 Tactical, Reeboks, and a few others.  I own and wear Merrells for most daily used and their soles are better.  But the soles on the Danners are TOPS and as mentioned the quick slip on/slip off is great.  No laces to get cheat grass, no tongue to slide left or right and the other thing about a tongue is the grooves on each side seem to catch and hold more cheat grass and dirt.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Merrell's (own 3 different kind), but they are not a serious Prospecting boot.  They are great hikers and quite comfortable though.

• Like 1