Cheap And Cheerful Fix For Rotating Shafts On The 7000

-or cheap and nasty, if you prefer.

1: Remove steel pins and remove lock lever

2: Separate brake pads from lock lever

3: Carefully apply a  smooth layer of epoxy resin to the tops only of the brake pads, allow time to set hard and file excess off if necessary.

4: Reassemble, then go find a colour-  :)

SNBi3Yz.jpg

YccgLA2.jpg

• Like 3

James,

Nice fix for those who may have issues! Glued on strip of bicycle inner tube may also work well ?

I've had no problems at all with my GPZ shafts, and mine is first week release. Now over 7 years old and thousands of hours of use, including 18 months in the wilds of WA, so my camlocks must be good ones.

Even when I had the boat anchor ( GPZ19) attached, I had no issues. Couldn't be happier with my ZED, and even more so now thanks to the brilliance of the X coils! 

Rick

• Like 1

Yeah Rick, no doubt about those X Coils revolutionising the Z and other detectors, especially the CC's.

Probably part of my wear problem is down to swinging the big 22" CC. If that's the case I'll be really testing the locks with the arrival of my 26" CC test coil in a few weeks lol! 😉

• Haha 2
  • Oh my! 1

I broke my shaft on my GPZ pretty quickly, one of those little clips you've reinforced with glue cracked and when it failed the other clip also cracked pretty quickly, this was using my little coils in long grass, I guess I was a bit too aggressive with it, I do use it to flatten down grass a lot.  Minelab service were excellent and replaced the clips for me.

X-coils also made a 26" mono coil for the GPX series when they were making GPX coils, it was only sold within their country where they often hunt for bigger deeper targets.

1731301020_26inchGPXComplete.jpg.8c98481bfca0c3de89b3c9fb5b2d9e1d.jpg

I can imagine a coil that size you'd need your shaft extended to full length just to keep the thing from bashing into your legs when swinging and it'd require a good quality shaft 🙂

I would imagine your 26" CC will weigh less than the GPZ 19" Stock coil anyway.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I would imagine your 26" CC will weigh less than the GPZ 19" Stock coil anyway.

Simon:  26"CC is possibly built into that same casing, not sure.

Is any coil heavier than the "Dog" lol? 😂

• Haha 1

Nah, the 26" will be a different casing.

• Like 1