Coiltek 10x5, Minelab 6" Choice Q

dsb

Searched around but still can't decide.  Leaning coiltek for now.  I mostly hunt for coins and small token type targets.  Older parks that are slightly over grown and fresh water beaches and streams plus i can hunt some public ground that's huge.  It's an old lead mine area that was active from 1830-1930 or so.  Wooded/hilly with sink holes everywhere and has to have building sites that are long gone.   From what I've read the coiltek is close but not as deep as the 6" M/L coil.  But in water i would sure like the added coverage.   Another thing i read here is the coiltek middle is not as receptive as the heel and toe.  How would that effect swing pattern?  Thanks.

• Like 1

The middle is not as sensitive as the heel and toe on tiny targets nor as deep, as the targets get bigger the middle becomes the most sensitive and certainly the deepest part of the coil on bigger targets,  as someone intending to use it for coin type targets this will not be an issue with you and in fact it's a benefit of the Coiltek to those who use it to hunt small gold having the really hot heel and toe.

I haven't used mine for coin type hunting as I require the most depth possible so little coils serve no purpose for my coin hunts and if in a real junky area it makes more sense to put the 6" on rather than the 10x5" as the footprint is smaller, less chance of two targets under the coil at once.

These are the sorts of things you've got to weigh up when you decide which to buy, both work really well, never seen someone break the ears off a 6" so it's likely just a problem with the bigger coils maybe sometimes due to people leaning on the detector getting up from a dig causing fractures with the bigger coils.  Never seen someone break the Coiltek ears.

Either way you cant' go wrong, both are good coils.

• Like 4

I have found that the 10x5 has been a real benefit to me because it can get closer to the fences near ball fields, and I can also use it in some of the creeks near me for gold. I like the way I can detect the sides of the creek more easier than with a round coil.

Silver coins seem to jump out of nowhere with the 10x5.

• Like 6

I love my 10 x 5 Coiltek, it is so light and just a pleasure to use. I use it to hunt parks, scrubby areas, old townships, pretty much everywhere except really big fields. I have a 6 inch coil as well, but I haven't used it since buying the Coiltek.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, unox said:

I have a 6 inch coil as well, but I haven't used it since buying the Coiltek.

Same for me. 

If you need more convincing about the coil, give this a look: 

Since March 5, that makes 4 gold and 2 silver jewelry pieces while using the 10x5 coil in the turf. I know it has a lot to do with location, but the coil has been very helpful at picking through the clutter and getting close to larger metal items.
https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/18723-touchdown/?do=findComment&comment=198155

• Like 4

NAGANT

Heck why don’t you play it safe and buy both. I’d say it will be times when one works better than the other. It’s only money and I don’t care who says they going to take it with them but that’s a bigger joke than some I tell.

The Best To You!

Chuck 

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies, helps a lot.  Either way gives me more options.   Except for wading the sand bars the 6" sounds about right for what i need now.  Separation and handy in the brush more then water hunting.  Ridgerunner  I'd buy both but waiting to see what happens with detectors for a year.  Save up and buy a package deal or an extra coil.

I do a fair amount of curb strip hunting (road verges) and sidewalk tear outs, and heavy trash parks too. I live in Portland, OR and the ground here is strongly mineralized. 

I tried the Coiltek 10" by 5" for a short while, then switched back to the 6" Minelab due to better separation and better sounds.

Ditto on what phrunt said about the heel and toe being more sensitive with the Coiltek.

So...

...just attached the 10" by 5" again and went out last week and found a few goodies but not much.

I wonder if I will do better in the densely trashed parks and curb strips with the Coiltek by simply turning the sensitivity down and the recovery speed up. I will try this next time out. Maybe I should also adjust the ground balance to slightly positive, to offset the ground conditions here in the PNW.  I am still learning due to physical setbacks this past year, but want to start incorporating the tone break adjustments and experimenting around more than just a little with the settings. That's what the settings are there for. 

TOO MUCH DIRT --- NOT ENUFF TIME

nwdetectorist

• Like 2

The heel and toe are more sensitive as the windings come closer together, it's the same with all elliptical coils, but then for outright depth on larger targets the center of the coil is the deepest, it's only on small targets the heel and toe are deeper.

For the 6" the most sensitive spot is always the very middle of the coil regardless of target size.

For gold prospecting the elliptical is very beneficial if you can't get the center of the 6" over the target due to rocks or bushes.

I think both coils are very good, each have their strong points.  For outright small gold sensitivity the 6" seems best though.

• Like 6

Thanks phrunt for clarifying about the differences between Minelab 6" and the Coiltek 10" by 5". This is very helpful for me. thanks

• Like 1