Coiltek 10x5, Minelab 6" Choice Q

dsb

One thing I always recommend and it’s going to cost you more money but the first time you want to change coils you will thank me under your breath. That’s a extra shaft. It’s just great to change from one coil to another with in a minute or two in the field.

Chuck 

• Like 6

May be late to the party, but I can write with confidence that the Coiltek 10x5 is an excellent coil. You only lose about an inch of sweep from the stock coil, so that means your coverage is much the same. As for depth I have found targets up to 14" deep on the beach, and every bit of 10"+ in the mild soils I typically hunt. IMHO if you're digging deeper than that you're digging a crater 😏

I have no idea what people are writing about lack of depth. I don't do air tests, real world is where the rubber meets the road. Additionally I'd have to wave the 6" about twice as much. 😵 

It's much lighter than the stock coil and has stronger ears. You will probably have to zip tie the cover on, from what I've seen they are loose. Do not worry about wearing the zip ties out, I've had mine on for a year now and they are barely worn.

If you want about the same "focus" as the 11", maybe the 6" will provide that but I find more targets in the center of the hole with the Coiltek. It also really separates targets in trashy areas.

HTH, HH

• Like 3

Many months of hard usage have passed by with me using the 10x5 . Conclusion : I sold the 6" Minelab . For relic hunting the coverage and depth are vastly superior [ in my experience ] to the 6" . If chasing the smallest gold then the 6" is a winner , and the 5x10 suffers more emi .

Small gold with the 5x10 .

P1010246.JPG

• Like 3

21 hours ago, NAGANT said:

Thanks for the replies, helps a lot.  Either way gives me more options.   Except for wading the sand bars the 6" sounds about right for what i need now.  Separation and handy in the brush more then water hunting.  Ridgerunner  I'd buy both but waiting to see what happens with detectors for a year.  Save up and buy a package deal or an extra coil.

Both are excellent coils and I own and use both.

For really small gold nugget targets in high mineralization I would go with the 6". The Coiltek is also very good in that scenario.  

For any other general type of coin/relic/jewelry/micro jewelry hunting, I would go with the Coiltek for separation, coverage, ergonomics and EMI stability.

If deeper targets are more important, I wouldn't use either one.

• Like 2

Great to get all this feedback!  Going with the 6" M/L.  Mostly for separation in yards and older parks that have a lot of small non ferrous junk.  The 11" is fine in most water i hunt, in the rougher creek bottoms I'm so slow coverage really doesn't matter.  Should have bought that $600 legend but didn't feel like learning another machine just yet.

• Like 1

It's very easy for me to compare depth on deep targets, we have a lot of deep coins around here and I can assure you in my soil the 10x5" is nowhere near as deep as the 11" coil, but I wouldn't expect it to be, that'd be expecting miracles. The 11" maintains ID's to a much greater depth.

A guy in NZ at the moment is trying to sell his Coiltek 15' coil for half retail price and only a few months old, it's oh so temping to buy it as I do mostly only hunt deeper targets but I've never seen a good review on it other than those done by Coiltek associates.  A friend took about 8 months to sell his 14x9" Nox coil and had to take under half what he paid for it to sell it.  The other two sizes are the lemon's, the 10x5" is a great little coil.

• Like 2

My local dealer cant get a EQ6 (back order) right now and no coiltek.  Don't see many used equinox 6" ers, they  go fast when i do.  I still have an extra lower EQ rod from when they sent replacement non wiggle shaft.  Never used it since i made a 1 piece CF shaft in the EQ dark ages and never switched.  But i could use the tear drop washers and the bolt, don't think it came with new shaft..

29 minutes ago, NAGANT said:

My local dealer cant get a EQ6 (back order) right now and no coiltek.  Don't see many used equinox 6" ers, they  go fast when i do.  I still have an extra lower EQ rod from when they sent replacement non wiggle shaft.  Never used it since i made a 1 piece CF shaft in the EQ dark ages and never switched.  But i could use the tear drop washers and the bolt, don't think it came with new shaft..

There are several 6" coils listed on eBay right now from reputable sellers/dealers along with one on Treasure Classifieds.

• Like 1

Waiting till Monday to see if he finds one.  He had 3 but they were sold at a rally.  I bought the nox from a Alaska dealer.  But try to buy from local guy when i can.  He's helped me out a few times.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NAGANT said:

Waiting till Monday to see if he finds one.  He had 3 but they were sold at a rally.  I bought the nox from a Alaska dealer.  But try to buy from local guy when i can.  He's helped me out a few times.

Rich at Colonial Metal Detectors .Com has the NOX 6 inch coils in stock $179.00 no sales tax and usually ships free but no international shipping.

• Like 1