Coiltek 10x5, Minelab 6" Choice Q

dsb

10 hours ago, Doc Bach said:

Try Gerry's detectors.com He seems to be plugged in pretty well with Coiltek and is a contributor on this forum.

Thank you. 

On 6/28/2022 at 7:41 AM, F350Platinum said:

Way to go with the 10x5. Did you notice any real loss of coverage or depth? It's great to be able to swing it under park benches and closer to tot lot structures. Learn the structure ID and you will find objects right next to it. 👍

Never noticed a coverage loss, and to be honest where I was hunting depth is not an issue.  I really like the coil.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2022 at 5:38 AM, Mark Gillespie said:

I'll need to try Colonial next time since I paid $209 At Big Boys.

Years ago I used to buy some detectors/gear from Big Boys, and they'd deal with you, and you could get competitive rates.  The last couple of times I've sent a pricing inquiry it was full pop, plus shipping.  Richard @ Backwoods has been one of the better detecting dealers I've worked with over the past decade when looking for a deal.

• Like 1

Finally took the Equinox to the test garden yesterday.   In clean ground, and the 10 x 5 coil I can get a repeatable signal on all 3 dimes 6, 7, and 8" deep.  Since the sink rate is extremely slow because of the red clay dirt I'm very satisfied with this smaller than stock coils ability. 

I dug a beer pull tab at 12" the other day but it was in the chips at a school playground.  Surprisingly the ID was telling me it wasn't a coin but I had to dig anyway.  Interesting tidbit, years ago I dug a gold engagement ring at around the same depth, directly under the swings in the same type of ground cover. 

Jerry, aka "Tinfoil" had the same size coil for his Shadow X5 many years ago and actually wrote a nice review of the coils separation properties and depth.  He said the size and dimensions of the 10 x 5 make it a good size for trash hunting with any detector.  And of course he was right again.   

• Like 4

Mine was pulling dimes at the beach at 10" and possibly deeper, love that coil.  I was definitely finding stuff others missed. Nice account! 👍

• Like 3

Thanks for the beach/dime information.  Don't get to beach hunt but maybe one week a year.  I truly love beach hunting. 

• Like 1

I'm going on a business trip next week where I can [somewhat] conveniently weave in some detecting at one of my favorite western frontier and Spanish sites that's hard to get to due to it's distance.   I'm going to bring my Legend and Equinox and I'll try the 5x10 CoilTek at on my Equinox.  I've had really good luck here with my Equinox, really opened the site up for me after we'd already hunted it hard. I may also try the factory 12x15" coil to see if I can hear some deepies. 

• Like 7