Gpx-6000 1 Year Anniversary. Is It The King?

Aye, but regardless of how impressed we are with it`s performance and that it has simple controls that make it a turn on and go machine, we are only early into learning how to get the most out of it. Don`t be fooled by its top response on shallow scraps, the 6000 has depth, "ghost" signals  even that "chattering" that will be better exploited once we have a range of coil sizes and varied windings the aftermarket coil manufacturers are renowned for.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Norvic said:

Aye, but regardless of how impressed we are with it`s performance and that it has simple controls that make it a turn on and go machine, we are only early into learning how to get the most out of it. Don`t be fooled by its top response on shallow scraps, the 6000 has depth, "ghost" signals  even that "chattering" that will be better exploited once we have a range of coil sizes and varied windings the aftermarket coil manufacturers are renowned for.

Totally agree....the signal filtering allows for deep inverted signals to be more obvious than previous GPX models. Ive dug some damned deep junk on spots that have been hammered for years....

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, jasong said:

A lightweight 8000 that goes as deep or deeper than the 7000 will be the new king by default. But they really need something completely new and different after that to keep a good number of people buying these machines in this price range, IMO. 

Logic would suggest that a lightweight, Geosense powered GPZ that uses flat-wound and/or concentric coils would be the 7000's successor. This alone would provide the extra depth and comfort to sell a high-end detector in the thousands... We all know that the gold is sitting there, out of reach. It just needs the technology to catch up to sense it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As much as I enjoy the 6000 for all the reasons stated, I still very much like the versatility the 7000 has to offer. GB-modes, gold-modes, filtering, threshold volume/volume, etc, all of it is missing on the 6000. Of course, the easiness of use comes in handy in particular for detecting beginners. However, I at times prefer to choose the settings for a given location and not let the machine pick for me. This reminds me a bit of cameras. They have fantastic point and shoot cameras nowadays, but does it really make the advanced high end Nikon (or Canon...) models obsolete?

"GPX-6000 NEWEST TECHNOLOGY – Who wants to use a 7 yr old cell phone (GPZ-7000)."

Gerry, as for ZVT, do you really think this is old stuff from yesterday and obsolete? As smart as geosense is, I still think ZVT has a lot to offer and should not be completed dismissed. After all, the 7000 is still ML's flagship detector. IMHO, I don't think it makes much sense to compare the 6000 with the 7000. Both are different machines with different underlying technologies, each having their strengths and weaknesses. I can see why advanced users still continue to value the 7000, me included. Assuming the 7000 would be as ergonomically advanced and as light as the 6000, and would have the desired coil versatility, would that alone not make the 7000 a much better match, even though using the "7 year old technology"? All this being said, if I today had to award a king trophy it would for sure go to the 6000.  This detector is an absolute delight and would absolutely earn this title, all things considered.

GC

• Like 5

GC ZVTs not dead by a long shot, the 7000 was just the pioneer of ZVT, ML will blow us away with their follow up as they have with the 6K and those before, (JPs been swinging an early ZVT2 for awhile now, he`s been way too quiet😉) ZVT will be King again, patience my friend, the 6Ks reign may indeed be short but for prospecting new patches amongst the tall grass its given this  GitB "old fart" a new lease of life.

Tis amazing that we debate passionately about two competing machines that are not made by competing manufacturers.

• Like 5

The GPZ is like fine wine, it's only improved with age. 🙂 

it's disappointing they're competing with themselves.  All it does is pushes up the price, inhibits development, slows product releases and restricts products as they don't need to compete.  Competition supercharges development.

They're losing their crown with VLF's quickly if it's not gone already, now competition needs to come into the gold detector market the same way, I'm probably dreaming but it'd be beneficial for everybody but them.

ZVT is at the infancy, there would have to be so much more they can do with it. PI, not so much.

• Like 2

I wonder about our commercial world needing competition for tech advances, there has been no competition in detectors for 20 plus years but we have advanced with just ML, coil wise has been the aftermarket fellas but detector wise ML all the way. No doubt we don`t know what competition would achieve and can only speculate, in fact may be adverse to the "consensus" as is often the case with the "consensus", but what I do know  with certainty is it pays me to be an early adoptee with ML they make Kings after Kings.

So just maybe we are better off where we are. Yes/No 

• Like 2