Gpx-6000 1 Year Anniversary. Is It The King?

I was unable to use my 6k couple weeks ago in a remote area. I could not get it to shut up despite multiple noise cancels and even a re boot...I tried to use it at its lowest setting.. still arcing squirrely...very disappointing...I’ll be calling  Minelab so they can check out the coil to see if there is anything wrong with it....my Xp Deus works fine however...

strick 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Oh my! 2

1 hour ago, strick said:

I was unable to use my 6k couple weeks ago in a remote area. I could not get it to shut up despite multiple noise cancels and even a re boot...I tried to use it at its lowest setting.. still arcing squirrely...very disappointing...I’ll be calling  Minelab so they can check out the coil to see if there is anything wrong with it....my Xp Deus works fine however...

strick 

Strick, when I used your machine awhile back, I had the same issues. It was running erratic. The coil falsed on the slightest bump. I was thinking that this is how the 6000 runs. I was not impressed at all. But my experience in the 4 hours I ran it might be clouded because it might be faulty. I would like to run another machine so I can make a better opinion for myself.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh my! 1

Something sounds wrong there if its bump falsing. Should be no more bump sensitive than any other minelab.  Maybe check if your coil plug is fully seated, as they are a bit hard to tighten. Otherwise send it back. Scott, the 6000 is a pretty sweet machine when running right.  Dumped my 7k and no regrets.

• Like 5

I agree totally with you WesD, Strick and SS the 6Ks a magic machine but sounds like yours is a wee crook. Bit of a lottery with the 6K purchase it appears, mines, touch wood, AOK and into its 2nd year.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The real problem is the gold patches basically playing out, and “going deeper” is not going to make the majority of them come back to life. We have lots of relatively shallow placer here, and with the last small bits getting hoovered up, there simply is not that much left in most of the places that most of us have ready access to. It’s a good thing you are getting near to retiring Gerry, because I don’t think gold prospecting detectors are a growth market anymore in the U.S.

Steve I agree with the Ford versus Holden debate (Ford V Chevy in the US), but dang you don’t have to be so brutal about your opinion on the gold being played out!! 😞 I’ve spent my whole career being told ‘the golds all gone’  that I’m ‘too late’ and ‘there’s none left’. When I went pro we hardly saw anyone out in the goldfields because VLFs were a dying art and the gold was all played out. Yes I understand I live in a country with a large land mass and small population, whereas you guys have a huge population and shrinking detecting areas etc.

The truth hurts to read I suppose especially when I’ve shaped one of my mental success tools around optimism based on telling myself a place is never cleaned out till I’ve had a crack at it. I am however finding as I get older my body is starting to restrict my capacity to invest in the positivity of enthusiasm, basically I find myself doing less hours, covering less country and not working in extreme heat as much as I once did, as a consequence my gold tally has lowered as a result.

I also find that I’ve gathered a vast knowledge base of past success locations that gets dimmed when I revisit those old productive areas and find nothing, that fact is hard to take. But the passion is still there along with the desire to continue looking and trying, it is this part of my psych that is struggling with your brutal honesty. Truth hurts I suppose, but I am still happy to be content in the hopes that I can find some gold somewhere, if that means it gets smaller and smaller so be it.

As I get older my ability to roam further and further is going to shrink so hopefully future tech will keep up. 😂 The 6000 has come about 10 years too early for me, I’m still hell bent on finishing areas with the GPZ7000, but I will be honest I do from time to time grab my 6000 and go have a dabble in the lighter easier carefree world the GPX6000 has opened up. 

JP

• Like 7

Hey Steve,

Hope all is well for starters.  I'm commenting on this statement - 

It’s a good thing you are getting near to retiring Gerry, because I don’t think gold prospecting detectors are a growth market anymore in the U.S.

I have to agree, even though each year my sales continue to increase, I could say I'm blessed.  However, it's a continual hussle each year, more advertising, more training, more shows and more bundling.  I think at some point when you start giving too much away (products, time, energy and such), it's time to throw in the towel.  It's not like the old days, where most of the manufacture truly appreciated your hard work and sales for them.  

I get more and more calls each year of customer that purchase from Amazon, as they can get the detector in some cases the same day and use incentives from Amazon.  

If I had to start over today, I would just say NO.  The little guy can't compete again the big box retailers anymore, the profit margins are slim (worse than ever seen).  

Anymore selling online or owns a physical storefront know where I'm coming from.  Wishing any of you a ton of success during these tough economic and troubling times.  

Rob

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Jonathan,

Just to test Steve's 'theory' (and Rob's brutal honesty about online, etc.) would you have a son or daughter go into the business of selling detectors?  What would you give as their business horizon?

I'm sure it would be longer than someone answering the same question here.

Mitchel

Gerry could sell steak to a vegan. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

I’ve spent my whole career being told ‘the golds all gone’  that I’m ‘too late’ and ‘there’s none left’. When I went pro we hardly saw anyone out in the goldfields because VLFs were a dying art and the gold was all played out.

Yep! That was the mantra when I started in the late 80's 

7 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

I also find that I’ve gathered a vast knowledge base of past success locations that gets dimmed when I revisit those old productive areas and find nothing, that fact is hard to take. 

Yes. Beloved (but exhausted) patches are near impossible to ignore. Jim Stewart once described them as "gazing upon the familiar face of a dear old friend"

13 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

- If they came out with a GPZ 8000 that was basically the same design as the 6000, with a rod that does not twist, and a battery door that works, no weird EMI instability issues oddly related to the speaker, and better reliability, plus a good coil selection at reasonable prices, then I might be tempted to bite. Lots of big ifs there however, so I’ll not be holding my breath.

Yes Indeed. Looks like my 7000 with X Coil CC's will be my companion for a while yet-

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1