Gpx-6000 1 Year Anniversary. Is It The King?

2 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

And everyone that’s used my machine immediately bought one. The coils are not knock sensitive, period. There is something wrong with the detector.

That’s what I’m thinking...I have found gold with it but it needs to be looked at. Thanks Steve

strick

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Norvic said:

Early in the 80s too JR. Below is another reason the 6000 is King to this old fart, you need lightweight, compact gear to get into the billy goat country I prospect, you make tracks every Tom, Dick & Harry will follow, tis shanks`s pony all the way. Come on Phrunt forget choppers the old fellas didnt have them, get out of your comfort zone and live butterfly. 😉

6000.jpg

Nice set up, Norvic! I thought of doing something similar but I am worried that if I take a dive during hiking the detector might get a brutal beating. Where I hike at times dives are not uncommon 🤪

GC

• Like 2

Sounds like you've got a bad coil strick as mine are not bump sensitive in any way, neither was JW's coil right up until it died, fortunately the aftermarket ones will be out soon and should be better build quality, they're hand made too so at least it means they're tested before leaving the factory,  Be sure to add yours to the poll when you know if its a lemon or not 🙂

I'm starting with the NF 12x7" and if I like it I'll get the 8.5x6" too.  I didn't want to start with the smallest as I'm satisfied with the sizes of small gold the 11" finds, I just want some more depth on it and if a smaller coil provides more depth on small gold I'll be happy, it should do, it's how it normally works for me.

In the World in which we live now you don't need a King and a Queen, two Kings is very acceptable these days so who knows, maybe once I get some more coils the 6000 might move up the ranks for me too.

Novic, I am just not the kinda guy to make it into the back country like that on foot, I would need to hike for weeks to get in there, and climb over many mountains on my way, these are not the little humps in the ground you Aussies call mountains 🙂

I really am amazed at the work the old timers have done here, and the distances and ground they covered to do so, it's truly amazing what they did.  I guess they just kept walking and climbing to get to new places and followed the gold, I couldn't survive if I was doing what they did.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I couldn't survive if I was doing what they did.

I often think the same. Amazing what the old-timers have accomplished without any advanced machinery and in often brutal conditions. Whenever I see those hand stacked large boulder piles along the river canyons in gold country I feel embarrassed when complaining about the weight of the 7000....But I wonder if they were just in general more enduring people with more physical strength, and most of all with more will-power and determination. 

GC   

• Like 5

Yep, we have become a bunch of softies, they'd have a good chuckle at the things we complain about. Oh you have to carry 3kg, you poor little thing. 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

And everyone that’s used my machine immediately bought one. The coils are not knock sensitive, period. There is something wrong with the detector.

Steve a lot of knock sensitivity is actually caused by the cable being wound too tight and it being tugged/twisted by shaft flex stiction. The coil is crashed into an obstacle which the flexes the shaft which then puts a twisting effect onto the cable which then causes noise. Especially noticeable in warmer weather.

Note: This is assuming there is no actual fault with the coil, I had a coil last week from the first releases batch that has gone bad, it would purr along fine then if you clipped something directly under the coil it would go mental, it is being replaced under warranty and while my customer waits for the new coil to arrive they are using my coil, lets see an online box shifter offer that sort of service!!😳

JP

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

I'm starting with the NF 12x7" and if I like it I'll get the 8.5x6" too.

Hey phrunt, 

I'm also looking for the NF 12" x 7", any idea when they will be available? Thanks,

Bill

• Like 1

Just now, cobill said:

Hey phrunt, 

I'm also looking for the NF 12" x 7", any idea when they will be available? Thanks,

Bill

My dealer said July in Nz with the smaller one coming sometime later for some reason. 

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

Yep, we have become a bunch of softies, they'd have a good chuckle at the things we complain about. Oh you have to carry 3kg, you poor little thing. 😅

Are you saying I`m soft???? As long as i`ve got the Expresso machine and genny to run it I`m sweet😉

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

In my army days, it was common to have 30kg of kit on your webbing and pack, plus carry a 4kg rifle and march for 30km a day. My back is stuffed now and we got it easy nowadays with lighter, better designed gear. A well prepped pack is under 10kg and no rifle lol

• Like 3