Gpx-6000 1 Year Anniversary. Is It The King?

Upcycling

The new product introduction team at Plexus met various shortfalls to get the PCB boards built, identifying creative ways of salvaging and reusing parts in short supply and helping to keep the development process on track.

Link to story from another company using Plexus manufacturing during Covid parts shortages....  Not sure if it could be related in any way, but still... not what you'd call ideal.

• Like 2

I really think the global supply chain crunch, due to Covid and other related factors, is to blame. All sectors are impacted, just look at the car industry. The question is just to what extend companies, especially those with high reputation, are willing to take a gamble and risk their good name by implementing lower end backup strategies.

• Like 3

yep, I have no doubt it's the reason for the unreliable detectors, doesn't explain the coils though, not much complicated about making a mono coil for it compared to making the actual PCB of the detector and you wouldn't think reasonable quality copper wire would be too hard to get their hands on.  I don't know if the coils are made by Plexus too, they maybe had them manufactured in China by another manufacturer, Plexus seems to be more to do with PCB manufacturing and not a place that would be winding coils.

• Like 3

Yeah, I suspect Covids got a bearing on it, coils... well normally ML make solid but not brilliant performing coils (SD 18" rubbish bin lid mono coils excepted) I think the reason then was stated that the fiberglass resin used in that coils manufacture reacted and took out one channel of the PIs. But I`ve had 2 Coiltek PI mono coils fault too, as in MLs case quickly replaced under warranty. Maybe there is more to our mono coils construction than meets the users eye.

No doubt Covids thrown a few spanners in our lives other than catching it.

It could be why they let the aftermarket manufacturers make coils for it so soon, not only the threat of X-coils putting videos up of adapters and coils being used causing a big "Oh No not again" moment for them but also the fact that if people start using NF and Coiltek coils instead of their Minelab coils then the number of Minelab coils failing will drop dramatically as people will be using them a lot less.

• Like 4

Suspect your spot on, just maybe they`ll offer the 6K without a coil.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All Commander coils were made by a company in Sth Korea but that no longer seems to be the case with the 6K coils. if someone could open one up, i'm sure we'll see the shielding being sub standard or the screen wire being way too short. 

Personally, I cannot see why ML would want to chip their coils..... the bigger range of coils available, the more successful the detector will be. the fact that the coils are exact same specs as previous gGPX ones would've made this issue a huge bonus for everyone. An utterly brainless decision and a huge missed opportunity for Minelab. ML are in the business of making great detectors, NOT coils. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The GPX box is shielded using conductive shielding paint, I used similar stuff to improve the shielding of one of my Gold Bug Pro's and also modified a Teknetics T2 using it.  It actually does work although I doubt it works as well as a nice solid aluminum box like the older GPX series has.

0703-0426-2.thumb.jpg.607913ce3df68ca4fe3018b1dffca4eb.jpg

If you look at this photo especially zoomed in you'll see the black paint in there.  I'm wondering if inconsistencies with some GPX's over others are how well this paint is applied.  All it takes is some person in the factory having a bad day and not caring how well they apply the paint.  By how messy the edges of the paint job are it looks like it's applied by hand.  Multiple coats work better than one too so human error could easily play a part in how well one detector performs over the next in relation to EMI.  Small things like this could be why we see inconstancy between detectors though and play a part why some people are happier than others.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you ever had Covid and still had to work with it or its after effects, the QA/QC will not be there.  I can only imagine now that this is the case for many things that were produced over the last couple years and will continue.  I finally got Covid this past week and if this is mild Covid I can not imagine what it was like before.  I can tell you for certain that if I was in a factory with this I would not give 2 shits what comes out and would just want to lay down and rest my body and brain.  The brain fog is terrible and the forgetfulness is disturbing, let alone the other flu/cold like symptoms.

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 3

2 hours ago, afreakofnature said:

If you ever had Covid and still had to work with it or its after effects, the QA/QC will not be there.  I can only imagine now that this is the case for many things that were produced over the last couple years and will continue.  I finally got Covid this past week and if this is mild Covid I can not imagine what it was like before.  I can tell you for certain that if I was in a factory with this I would not give 2 shits what comes out and would just want to lay down and rest my body and brain.  The brain fog is terrible and the forgetfulness is disturbing, let alone the other flu/cold like symptoms.

I sorry you got the crummy cron, hopefully you do not get the two month cough.  I got it two months ago and even a week after being not contagious I still could only detect about a quarter of the time due to fatigue.

Hope you have a speedy recovery and can swing again soon.

• Like 3