Gpx-6000 1 Year Anniversary. Is It The King?

On 7/14/2022 at 2:36 PM, Jonathan Porter said:

Next person who tells me it’s just the effing FLU is going to get a JP style ground balancing!!! 😡 

Sorry to hear JP, I hope your recovery will continue steadily. Yes, unfortunately too many people are in need of a good ground balancing, along with some education. Preferably in semi-auto so they won't drift over time.😉

GC

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wondering if anyone knows of any smaller DD’s being developed for it yet? I’m in line to get the CT 10’x5’ mono when it is released here in the US, but would really love to get a smaller DD. 

Stay healthy and get better everyone!

It’s not like the infection is a binary thing; you can have a small viral load or a substantial load. There are also many known genetic variants of the virus. Its very well established that vaccinated individuals are affected less than unvaccinated (the vaccine works). 

Back on topic:

I’ve noticed American users are clambering for DD coils, especially small ones. Over here in Australia, I don’t see so much use for a small DD coil, except for near EMI sources, despite our ground being far hotter than yours (as far as I know at least). I’d rather user a small mono any day if the week.

Why do you USA-based operators want small DD coils over small monos?

• Like 1

EMI is the primary reason, my 6000 is a struggle to use in a number of places where with a DD it would be fine. The stock 14 is just too big for anything but relatively flat ground with no long grass.  A small DD would be great for my rocky grassy high emi areas, I’d buy it the second I could as it’d make a detector I don’t want to use into one I would use.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BrokeInBendigo said:

I’ve noticed American users are clambering for DD coils, especially small ones. Over here in Australia, I don’t see so much use for a small DD coil, except for near EMI sources, despite our ground being far hotter than yours (as far as I know at least). I’d rather user a small mono any day if the week.

I made this demonstration to explain the difference, The double D will work very well under specific conditions:
https://youtu.be/Px7oDu3W0cM

We have a lot of infrastructure here, and some of the goldfields have powerlines crossing them so I would love to be able to detect directly underneath them!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrokeInBendigo said:

3rd'ing EMI. It's not a major problem, until it is. And then the detector simply won't work at all in some places, like totally useless mimicking a broken machine or coil. I'm not detecting anywhere close to power lines or civilization either myself. 

Also I've noticed in some wind storms (and in my part of the country it's always windy), the detector loses stability entirely too. Oddly, some days are ok though. I think it's atmospheric static, and the GPZ handles it ok while the 6000 just dies. 

I'd be using a mono instead, if I could. This 14" DD is too big to use in heavy, woody brush, which unfortunately is exactly what I'm spending my summer working. Thus: need a small DD. 

Separately, this 6000 is missing a ton of gold too as I'm regridding, even with this 11" mono. Like - Fine Gold/low gain in US mild soils level of missed nuggets.

• Like 1

Available bandwidth in the US is saturated with content ! Mostly  the telco's.

The phone companies (telco) are always grabbing more bandwidth with the support of the FCC , squeezing out less profitable entities....

EX: Television bands were squeezed up to sell the space to Telco's  recently and continuing today as well .

Air traffic adds a LOT to that saturation too.

And ISP  providers like Spacex  racing to fill the sky with signals........ 

Yeah DD coils WILL always be popular here I guess.

• Like 1

SS, unfortunately just using a DD coil alone will not produce any kind of discrim on the 6000. Aside from mental discrim if you can find some target response patterns (signal inverting on certain targets with a DD vs mono, etc)

There is no reason that technically the 6000 couldn't have rough discrim capability while using a DD though, but it doesn't appear to have been built with that capability internally in the same way some of the older GPX's were.

• Like 2