Gpx-6000 1 Year Anniversary. Is It The King?

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was wondering too.

If you aren't required to send the 6000 in for service to do firmware updates then there must be a magic sequence of button presses or Minelab will have to release software for the public to access the 6000 firmware upgrade capabilities it seems like. XChange3 or something.

I could be missing something basic though. Or my USB cable could be bad, it's outdated micro USB and so this is the only cable I still have and it's like 6 years old. Dunno.

*I'm willing to bet they saw a few years back here when we were throwing the 7000 firmware into a hex editor, trying to decompile it, and poking around looking for ways to bypass chip security and decided to nip that in the bud. :laugh:

• Like 1

I googled “GPX 6000 secret firmware update” and found it! You just update the EPROM on the batteries, insert it and it works!

73584CD7-32C3-4C6E-AFF9-CD08EFF49001.thumb.jpeg.980bb46ade1dae8ff48483826f511567.jpeg

Just Kidding!!! 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

2 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

I googled “GPX 6000 secret firmware update” and found it! You just update the EPROM on the batteries, insert it and it works!

😉

That maybe a trick click bait story though.   That's not how I'd expect it to work. 2.2 gig of free space? unlikely.

6 minutes ago, phrunt said:

That maybe a trick click bait story though.   That's not how I'd expect it to work. 2.2 gig of free space? unlikely.

Sorry, should’ve waited till April 1st, making jokes about it will probably get me in trouble.  I was just playing with my Photoshop Mix App.

Really though, I hope there’s not too painful of a way for us to get firmware adjustments for it, until then I am probably going to stick to the DD in the places I really want to use it- being that they are the closest to where I live.

• Haha 1

Mines been at the shop going on 3 weeks now...still no word. Maybe I should send Gerry to light a match under their Azz...thats what got my ctx fixed several years ago 🙂

strick

• Sad 2
  • Oh my! 3

3 minutes ago, strick said:

Mines been at the shop going on 3 weeks now...still no word. Maybe I should send Gerry to light a match under their Azz...thats what got my ctx fixed several years ago 🙂

strick

That's what happens when you have to replace a big % of the ones you sell, stock runs out quicker than expected, especially with coils as they'd never expect to sell hardly any 11" coils as everyone gets one with the detector so they wouldn't plan to make the large number of extra coils that would be required to replace all the faulty ones.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2022 at 6:37 AM, phrunt said:

yep, it has a rubber moisture/dust cover on it.  It would be considered a USB port that's accessible by the end user for updating, not a service only use one like on the Gold Monster which is deep inside the battery compartment and much harder to access.

Agree with phrunt, I have been doing some digging and have found that the GPX 6000 is indeed recognised as a valid USB device when connecting it to a compouter. I believe that this paves the way for Minelab to release a Firmware update package that the end user will be able to apply much like the Equinox update. Below are a number of screenshots showing the 6000 identified under Linux.

GPX6000-USB-1.png

GPX6000-USB-2.png

• Like 4