Gpx-6000 1 Year Anniversary. Is It The King?

The marketing for the 6000 makes dealer training seem not necessary, easy experts so I can see why some buyers may not feel it necessary to take classes. 

I think it's a shame big box stores are taking sales away from the personal service of a dealer. 

In NZ there is still lots of gold to be found, a coil is very small compared to the gold bearing ground as so few using them to begin with, the problem is you can't get to it, it's too inaccessible, it's not like Australia where people park up there with a caravan and start detecting. 

The best ground needs a helicopter to get to it, the old timers got there and worked it well but much is untouched. My dealer mate takes beginners on heli gold tours and the last one stumbled on a 16 gram nugget with his 6000, small for Australia I see people all the time show finds bigger but a good size for here.  It keeps the hope alive ill have my turn. 

I'm looking down on the gold bearing valleys right now wishing I could get in there.  This is why for me the 6000 has potential, a light portable detector that fits in a backpack easily is beneficial, getting it into the places is the hard bit.  A lot of old timer mining out there, just no easy way to get there. 

IMG_20220622_102659.thumb.jpg.66cb20209cc28d6f01587744dfe32ce6.jpg

IMG_20220622_105319.thumb.jpg.62993bc10ebd52eb188e4c056e0154e8.jpg

I have found some gold down there, just wish I could get further in. 

IMG_20220622_103736.thumb.jpg.9c6b04fc325c0db3c3ea495984889586.jpg

• Like 7
  • Oh my! 1

21 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

Beautiful pictures! Does the snow ever melt?

GC

Naw, he’s much closer to Antartica than we are!  😁

How old are the gold deposits in NZ, Simon?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jasong said:

If they want to have any hope of keeping a good market in the US then they need their good prospecting machines at $2500 or under and they need to start putting them in the hands of younger people that will go out and use them daily and post about it. Otherwise I think the US gold-specific detector market is probably on a long, slow road to eventual death by attrition even if there were more nuggets here to find.

That would certainly be a good strategy. The question is just how good a detector really could be at this price range and whether it would truly be competitive in the gold fields. It is already so hard to find decent gold here in the US, despite using rather expensive high tech machines and despite having many years of experience. So, I am not sure if a lower end tech package in the hands of mostly less experienced operators, who quickly want to find gold, would pay off. Now, for coin and relic hunting this is a different story and lower-end detectors are certainly available in good variety. But for gold prospecting in particular we need high tech improvements that will (unfortunately) have their price. And we also need those Gerrys, Robs and JPs of this world who provide field training to make this investment worthwhile (and to really give newcomers a chance to actually find gold!). I totally understand why many dealers make such a strong sales pitch for the 6000, because it will produce gold quicker for the newcomer (hence positive feedback) than the 7000 which is much harder to learn. This will result in much better sale figures which of course is in every dealers interest. But technology wise ZVT has a bright future (perhaps the brightest?), the question is just at what price. As stated before, competition would really come in handy for better pricing/product quality. So, perhaps this could make the entire gold detecting market look more promising. However, I suspect the GPZ successor will more likely be a GPZ 12000 than a GPZ 8000 (let alone a GPZ 2500......).😔

GC  

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2022 at 3:21 PM, Gerry in Idaho said:

NV-OR-ID-CA-Au - GPZ-8000?  Why not a GPX-6500 with Updated Software and Iron Disc.  Or better yet, why not another manufacture give us users another high end PI?  Yes, getting the kids out to enjoy what we did as young ones, is priceless.  Thanks for adding content.

Gerry,

I believe other manufacturers might come out with a good PI once Minelabs PI patents expire, might even be under $2,000 for these detectors at that point.

Minelab is paving the way on technology and a lighter weight Zero Voltage Geo-sense with CTX 4040 imagery would make the goldfields come alive again, hopefully this will occur within my lifetime.

The last 8 years has had some amazing electronic engineering breakthroughs on metal detectors though.

The picture is of a new Apex digger tool needed for your 5’ holes you’ll be digging with your higher performance GPZ replacement. 🤔

6B4FE6B3-53EF-4E2F-927F-B875670FA6D0.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

Beautiful pictures! Does the snow ever melt?

GC

Yes, it's hot and dry in summer so the snow melts off those smaller mountains in the photos there, the bigger ones further in keep it.

I bought the 6000 for the purpose of backpacking, the GPZ isn't ideal for that as it just doesn't shrink down enough and its hanging out the top of my backpack, the 6000 is ideal that it shrinks down small and quickly.  To fit the GPZ in I really need to pull it all apart.   I don't see either detector as being "King", they each have their benefits although I do prefer the 7000, perhaps the GPZ 8000 when and if it comes out will be king as it might combine the best of both detectors and offer a coil selection like the GPZ has available from the aftermarket.  As people say already the 7000 with the aftermarket coils already fells like an 8000, only an 8000 very few people have.

• Like 3

Simon,

I see workouts, a gym and keto diet in your future!

Mitchel

• Haha 2

On 6/21/2022 at 2:57 PM, jrbeatty said:

Yep! That was the mantra when I started in the late 80's

Early in the 80s too JR. Below is another reason the 6000 is King to this old fart, you need lightweight, compact gear to get into the billy goat country I prospect, you make tracks every Tom, Dick & Harry will follow, tis shanks`s pony all the way. Come on Phrunt forget choppers the old fellas didnt have them, get out of your comfort zone and live butterfly. 😉

6000.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Do you have access to another GPX-6000 to try the same day/site/time?  I feel like there might be an issue, but hard for me to know without testing it myself or one of my Staff.  If you want, I can send you my own unit to compare or I can have you send your unit to one of my nearest Field Staff and he can compare.  Sorry it has not been working out for you like the rest of us.

Thanks for the offer Gerry.. I loaned this machine out for several months 3-4 serious prospectors had the chance to play with it none of them really liked  it....Thinking of just sending it to Minelab for evaluation...I only get out a few times a year to the gold country...So lack of user time to find faults is on me...yes the coil cord is plugged in solid...first thing I made sure of...I’ll pm or call you if I need to.  

strick

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

1 hour ago, strick said:

I loaned this machine out for several months 3-4 serious prospectors had the chance to play with it none of them really liked  it.

And everyone that’s used my machine immediately bought one. The coils are not knock sensitive, period. There is something wrong with the detector.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1