First The Bone-phones And Now The Headphones.. More Deus II Failures..

1 hour ago, midalake said:

That is not the decibel rating I am talking about. I am referring to the ability of the headphones to keep out EXTERNAL ambient noise. None of the headphones you listed have that ability. 

BTW, a good rating is around -28dB. 

SO IMPORTANT, to keep external noise out while beach hunting! 

All the phones I listed have NRR ratings. That is known as NRR, noise reduction rating not db rating. 28 NRR is about as high as any phones give. 17 NRR is about the lowest. It basically relys on the thickness of foam inside the muffs to get the NRR. There are noise canceling muffs for fire arms a bit better but not for our sport. Wish you luck on finding what you want.

30 minutes ago, Carolina said:

All the phones I listed have NRR ratings. That is known as NRR, noise reduction rating not db rating. 28 NRR is about as high as any phones give. 17 NRR is about the lowest.

I looked ahead of time. Of the three phones you posted I can only tell two of them: dodiddlies, and Serious. Neither of those phones have "NRR" specifications listed in advertisements, nor ambient dB rating. 

Here are the only production phones that accept the Ws6 that I know of, are dB rated and state so. -24dB. 
https://highplainsprospectors.com/products/detector-pro-gray-ghost-xp-platinum-series-wireless-headphones-for-xp-deus-xp-deus-ii?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2MWVBhCQARIsAIjbwoMtJm6_Legs5IUuFAqcKUDSQWzcj98gzliKCQBdktN2T4XO4ayW-WwaAgEIEALw_wcB

I have found what I want for 25 years. I use the Original Black Widows [-28dB rated] with Audiosears [speakers] Connected directly to the detector. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Carolina said:

I also read the instructions first and never tried to charge the WS6 puck with the three way as the instructions tell you it is for the WS4 & WS5 so forcing it into the puck probably results in damage of sorts. Anyway I’m loving my Deus and thank the good Lord and did as instructed and read the entire manual before I started with the detector. Good luck everybody.

I did read the manual the same as you did...but you would have thought the 3 way cable would do the RC,Coil and Earphones like it says in the manual (see picture below). I can tell you there is no chance of any damage to the puck whatsoever and if there was, who would be to blame...

charging.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, unox said:

I did read the manual the same as you did...but you would have thought the 3 way cable would do the RC,Coil and Earphones like it says in the manual (see picture below). I can tell you there is no chance of any damage to the puck whatsoever and if there was, who would be to blame...

charging.png

Hi UNOX, Yes this is correct. It clearly shows as you point out that the three dongle charging cable charges the RC, coil, & the WSAll, WSAll XL head phones. It also charges the Ml-6 & MI-4 pin pointers. Then it clearly shows the single charging cable charging the WS6 module ( puck ). The WSAll phones and the WS6 (puck) are two different things. If you read carefully you will see this. Also previously (if you read) on page 34, it clearly shows the WSAll & WSAll XL are (phones) sold separately which have built in electronics ( don’t use the WS6 puck ). Also on page 44 ( Accessories ) it shows the WSAll phones for sale. Also as your red arrow points out the three dongle has a min. “B” connector and the single charging cable is a “C” size connector which is slightly bigger. That is why the three dongle keeps falling out of the puck. I assume the three dongle was used with the Deus l and they added the single for the new WS6 puck. I admit it is poorly written and you must read very carefully all the info supplied in order to charge properly.

10 hours ago, midalake said:

I looked ahead of time. Of the three phones you posted I can only tell two of them: dodiddlies, and Serious. Neither of those phones have "NRR" specifications listed in advertisements, nor ambient dB rating. 

Here are the only production phones that accept the Ws6 that I know of, are dB rated and state so. -24dB. 
https://highplainsprospectors.com/products/detector-pro-gray-ghost-xp-platinum-series-wireless-headphones-for-xp-deus-xp-deus-ii?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2MWVBhCQARIsAIjbwoMtJm6_Legs5IUuFAqcKUDSQWzcj98gzliKCQBdktN2T4XO4ayW-WwaAgEIEALw_wcB

I have found what I want for 25 years. I use the Original Black Widows [-28dB rated] with Audiosears [speakers] Connected directly to the detector. 

The black widows are fine phones and the Audiosears are commonly used in many more phones. I believe they are 32 ohm speakers. I think you must do a little more research to find the NRR rating on all three phones shown. Good luck everybody.

4 hours ago, Carolina said:

Hi UNOX, Yes this is correct. It clearly shows as you point out that the three dongle charging cable charges the RC, coil, & the WSAll, WSAll XL head phones. It also charges the Ml-6 & MI-4 pin pointers. Then it clearly shows the single charging cable charging the WS6 module ( puck ). The WSAll phones and the WS6 (puck) are two different things. If you read carefully you will see this. Also previously (if you read) on page 34, it clearly shows the WSAll & WSAll XL are (phones) sold separately which have built in electronics ( don’t use the WS6 puck ). Also on page 44 ( Accessories ) it shows the WSAll phones for sale. Also as your red arrow points out the three dongle has a min. “B” connector and the single charging cable is a “C” size connector which is slightly bigger. That is why the three dongle keeps falling out of the puck. I assume the three dongle was used with the Deus l and they added the single for the new WS6 puck. I admit it is poorly written and you must read very carefully all the info supplied in order to charge properly.

The two mini USB connectors on the 3 way cable and the cable for use with the WS6 puck are the same size and type = Mini USB. The difference is the actual exposed lengths of the connectors. The connector on the single lead is definitely a bit longer.........so I am not sure where the USB B and C reference is coming from. The connectors will both fit well in the WS6 port.

Where the confusion is for me (or XP may need a different English language translator/proofreader) is what is printed in the manual and the included Erratum single sheet that came with my Deus 2. The Erratum pages shows using the single lead cable for charging and data update of the WS6 as opposed to the manual showing updating the WS6 with the single lead cable on page 30 and charging the WS6 with the 3-way cable on page 38.

Deus 1s used the 3 way cable for charging the RC and the WS4. The single lead cable was for data update of the RC but I used it for charging it too.

So, who knows.........I have charged my WS6 with the 3 way and the single lead and they both seem to work fine for just charging the WS6.

• Like 5

Yeah I do believe the instructions and some of the wording in the manual needs an update, its just natural to plug in the 3 way cable as mentioned. Hell I did it as well after glancing through that first section,  I didn't expect it to be different coming from the original Deus as it had the 3 way cable for charging the lot.

The ports as Jeff mentioned are all mini USB ports. I can still charge the phones by the 3 way as long as it doesn't get bumped as mine falls out quite easily, but will complete the charge if I am careful. At least there is no way of damaging the port as there both the same connection, only one is a little longer than the other...

EDIT: Just to clarify, the Headphone Port is definitely not a USB type C connector.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

The two mini USB connectors on the 3 way cable and the cable for use with the WS6 puck are the same size and type = Mini USB. The difference is the actual exposed lengths of the connectors. The connector on the single lead is definitely a bit longer.........so I am not sure where the USB B and C reference is coming from. The connectors will both fit well in the WS6 port.

Where the confusion is for me (or XP may need a different English language translator/proofreader) is what is printed in the manual and the included Erratum single sheet that came with my Deus 2. The Erratum pages shows using the single lead cable for charging and data update of the WS6 as opposed to the manual showing updating the WS6 with the single lead cable on page 30 and charging the WS6 with the 3-way cable on page 38.

Deus 1s used the 3 way cable for charging the RC and the WS4. The single lead cable was for data update of the RC but I used it for charging it too.

So, who knows.........I have charged my WS6 with the 3 way and the single lead and they both seem to work fine for just charging the WS6.

Jeff is 100% correct here.  They are all type-B mini connectors (except of course the multipin connector on the 3-way to provide data and charge power to the remote).  The two USB type-B minis on the three-way provide charge power only and can be used for charging the WS6, the D2 coils, and the MI-6/4 pinpointers (as well as the forthcoming "dumb" wireless headphone accessories).   Since the type-B mini connectors on the 3-way lack a data pin, they cannot be used to update the WS6 and that's where the single cable comes in.  You can charge and/or update the WS6 with the single cable (as well as use it to charge any other accessory mentioned above except, of course, the remote which uses the multi-pin connector).  But there is also absolutely nothing wrong with using one of the USB Type-B mini connectors on the three-way cable to charge the WS6 as well (that's what I usually do). Agree that the manual could be clearer on this, but frankly this is pretty basic stuff in this day and age.  In fact, the type B mini connector is pretty old school and practically obsolete as the Deus detectors and accessories are about the last thing I own that still use it as most other USB powered gadgets I own either use the slightly newer Type-B micro connector which is starting to give way to the more popular and powerful USB Type-C connector.  HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I agree mostly with what you say. To me though, there must be a reason they went to the added expense to provide the single charging cable if there was no issue using the three cable. As you point out, the different lengths, maybe more contact area on the contacts have something to do with it. Anyway, I think a lot was lost in the translation as you mentioned.

28 minutes ago, Carolina said:

I agree mostly with what you say. To me though, there must be a reason they went to the added expense to provide the single charging cable if there was no issue using the three cable. As you point out, the different lengths, maybe more contact area on the contacts have something to do with it. Anyway, I think a lot was lost in the translation as you mentioned.

There is a practical and necessary reason for providing the single cable.  The single charging/update cable for the WS6 was provided because they wired up the 3-Way USB A cable connector dedicated data pin to the mult-pin DIN connector for the remote (you don't wire in multiple split parallel data lines because you want to avoid people attempting to hook up two devices at once during updates, but you can easly and conveniently split power and use multiple connectors for charging).  As a result, they needed to provide a separate single USB cable with a B-mini connector with data so you could run data and power to be able to do firmware updates to the WS6.  Because you can't/don't split data lines (and because all the connectors looked the same unlike the D2 3-way), the old 3-way B-mini cable for the Deus 1 similarly could be only be used for charging 3 devices at once but couldn't be used at all for updating.  Since the DIN connector looks noticeably different on the Deus 2 3-way, they could take advantage of this visually distinctive feature to wire up both data and power to that multi-pin DIN connector for both charging and updating the remote for convenience (avoiding having to provide yet a third dedicated cable for updating the remote) without causing (too much) confusion to the end user.  There is no reason you can't use the three-way to charge the WS6, you just can't use it to update the WS6.  It's also convenient to have the dedicated cable so you can simultaneously charge 4 devices at once if you also happen to own the MI-6 pinpointer.  HTH

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1