Another Beach Oddity...

Yeah, you being a local and in the know, dims the chances of them being seeded. Broken roll is possible, but few of us carry around a roll of halves. Stolen and lost would be my next best guess. Probably will not ever know for sure the why and how. HH jim tn

• Like 2

Back in the 80's, my hometown used to seed the beach with those small school sized milk cartons with .$50 pieces inside of them during the annual festival. They'd bury them in a corded off section of beach, and kids would be turned loose to dig for them. I'm sure not everything was dug up.  Over time, the paper would break down and leave the coin behind.  

Likely they did something similar, or had a 'sawdust pile' type dig in the sand where these were buried for retrieval of the kids.  

In later years our festival coordinators got smart and started putting denominations on the bottoms of the cartons to be redeemed, rather than burying money in the cartons.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I’m sure this isn’t related, but I’ve started getting Kennedys in my change for the first time in decades. Four in the past few months. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Time for an update on the "Kennedy Half Dollar" beach.  The last couple of halves have come out of a cut after the beach had been sanded in.  Gotta love the hydraulic energy of the surf!  Still don't know how (or why) they got there but I am going to keep digging them as long as I can.  It's a lot of fun to dig so many at one spot!

IMG_2392.jpg

• Like 3

We had someone spreading Buffalo nickels here in Fl ….. something you could buy by hundreds off line.  Oddly had a gold tone to them like they had been heated and dipped.   One guy said he got 20 one hunt.   I got my share …. Fun to find.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2022 at 7:20 PM, jim tn said:

Odd, yeah! Maybe some kind of seeded hunt was conducted in that beach area? Fun finds, whatever the reason. HH jim tn

yep, Tim is right. Over time the waves, tide, current and wind on an ocean beach will re-arrange items according to weight and maybe size. Keep looking.

• Like 1