Question On Legend

Hi, 

SO I have been using the Legend and learning it. Finding cool stuff and overall the Legend is doing a great job. 

One thing I have noticed though is some odd behavior. 

Lets say I find an iffy signal in an Iron infested area. I will typically scan the iffy signal, change angle, scan again trying to see if the iffy signal tightens up at all. 

Sometimes, I will do this and the detector will start chattering. Sometimes when this happens I can just lift the coil off the ground and it will settle down sometimes it wont. When this happens and it doesn't settle down I will try changing the settings, ground balancing, channel scanning and nothing works. Even lowering gain doesn't help much.. 

Odder still I can leave the area where this is happening, wait until the chatter stops and go back to where I heard it and everything is fine. 

It is almost like it gets overloaded by all the iron and mixed signals and loses its mind. 

I can't seem to figure out a solid reason why this happens, 

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks!

What firmware version are you running?

The Legend does like the coil raised about an 1" swinging it. I have test dime at 11" and with the coil close to ground swinging, no hit. Raise the coil up, and it slams it. On that dime I noticed that my Equinox 800 also likes the coil raised up. It gets a better hit. I didn't try single frequency. Maybe it smf thing. I don't know. I saw a Calabash video showing this with the Legend.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, thanks for the response. 

I am now at 1.08 and it still randomly does this. 

Oddly enough I have done whole days where I don't have this issue, like at my main permission, but then the next day I am out there and the detector goes mad for seemingly no reason and changing settings doesn't help. It chatters like crazy and maybe it just stops and goes away, sometimes it doesn't.  

I don't think it is the ground or the soil, or the mineralization because when I am going along and it is working fine the chattering starts and even where I was not having the chattering before, now it is chattering.  

It is like the detector goes into a feedback loop of some sort. 

That sounds like emi. When that happens and you can't get rid of it, switch to single frequency and the noise will probably go away.

Runs great in single frequency too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick N. MI said:

That sounds like emi. When that happens and you can't get rid of it, switch to single frequency and the noise will probably go away.

Runs great in single frequency too.

Yep, thought of that and even in single freq it still chatters. 

No setting seems to matter, recovery, channel, mode, gain, nothing will stop it. It does seem to start overloading when I am focusing on trying to detect in lots of iron, but when it gets in this state I can't shake it. 

When it happens even holding the coil 4 feet off the ground doesn't stop the chattering. No power lines or anything around. In fact that is kind of what I would expect if I was directly under a high power line. but again, I detected these spots over and over and then one random time the chattering starts. 

Unfortunately there is underground stuff that goes on and off at times. Most likely emi.

I hope it is emi lol. Sorry.

4 hours ago, Rick N. MI said:

Unfortunately there is underground stuff that goes on and off at times. Most likely emi.

I hope it is emi lol. Sorry.

Nope. Its not emi. This is old land. No worries. I will see what NM has to say. 

One of the parks I hunt has emi but not always. Some days in the past I just had to leave others it wasn’t there at all. The city power plant isn’t far away and I always wondered if it was the culprit.