I Imagine This Is What Detecting Was Like 30 Years Ago

9 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I can only imagine the fun you had as he watched

You know, I've certainly had my share of gawkers and hoverers, but I didn't mind this gentleman at all. He was in his eighties, sharp as a tack, and very interested without being annoying in the least. I thoroughly enjoyed our conversation and learned a thing or two along the way! 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, NAGANT said:

Maybe wet them down good and step on the plug. 

That's what I heard elsewhere, too. Not sure what else to do. I'll head over there tomorrow with a watering can and some grass seed. It'd be a real shame if some random skunk deep-sixed this permission for me. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I've watered the hole before in dry ground. It helped on sod recovery a lot. I've also had things come in and dig the hole open like you. All I could do was refill the holes. I don't know if there is anything you can do about that. Maybe the water would help hold the sod in tighter.

• Like 2

More than 30 years ago I hit a paddock next to a catholic nunnery where an old school was nearby was closed and removed about 1930. It was a sliver mine for silver coins, all were pre 1922 but there was dozens of them most in good condition. Not all spots done 30+ years ago was as good. I was hoping for a 1923 threepence but to no avail.

• Like 4

I do recall that most coins in areas that were not heavily used were silver, it took years for clad to be dominate, and so looking back those were the glory days, and I just didn't know it.

There were many a time I stopped at a Highway Rest Stop, and if few people were around to stretch my legs I would pull out my detector, and it was not unusual to get 5 to as much as $20 in silver in under 30 minutes.

It at least paid for the C batteries.

• Like 4

Nice hunting with a lot of great finds!

Good luck on your next visit, and in dry weather always water your plugs so the grass don't die.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SwiftSword said:

Well, here's an update. The owner messaged me that just today he happened to be in the backyard and noticed that every single plug I dug had been torn out and the hole underneath dug down to several inches. Evidently an enterprising raccoon or skunk smelled grubs & worms. Of course I'll be heading over there tomorrow to fix it all up. Any suggestions on how to avoid this in future? I'm not sure he'll have me back after this 😬

Yes, this will happen sometimes. If you have the time to check each morning, you can set a live trap to catch the critter. If it is a skunk it will be interesting for you. It is doable though.  A moth ball pressed into the top of the refilled plug would probably work also.

• Like 1

You can also try powdered cayenne pepper! Pretty cheap for a large container, won't hurt the grass, or animals! But it is an irritant, and should deter animals from the spots! Water your plug, then sprinkle! Will last until a rain or sprinkler washing!👍👍

• Like 6

On 6/21/2022 at 8:58 PM, SwiftSword said:

Well, here's an update. The owner messaged me that just today he happened to be in the backyard and noticed that every single plug I dug had been torn out and the hole underneath dug down to several inches. Evidently an enterprising raccoon or skunk smelled grubs & worms. Of course I'll be heading over there tomorrow to fix it all up. Any suggestions on how to avoid this in future? I'm not sure he'll have me back after this 😬

This happened to me, pretty sure by squirrel(s) in the autumn near walnut trees.  I don't know if they thought I had buried some or were just lazy and decided to take advantage of the holes already dug to hide their winter stash.

Nice finds and sorry to hear of the varmint problems.

• The title was changed to I Imagine This Is What Detecting Was Like 30 Years Ago