I Imagine This Is What Detecting Was Like 30 Years Ago

Actually skunks are the ones that pull plugs. Happens a lot when there are lot of grubs.

Been using a probe here because grounds just too dry to dig.

• Like 4

Noticed that happening where I was last year. Figured the critter was lazy and dug my holes cuz it was easier !  Didn't notice any holes where I didn't dig before...... 

Hope you got the owner interested enough that he lets you hunt some more !

Great spot to lose so quickly....😢

• Like 1

• The title was changed to I Imagine This Is What Detecting Was Like 30 Years Ago
  • 3 weeks later...

Moth balls or something out of ordinary smell,sight or any other scare of the pest senses would be starting points for the task atleast

Nice hunt indeed!

About 15 years ago I found a virgin scout/church camp site.  It dated to 1939, but ceased to exist by the 1960's, so it had very little modern trash.  The camp was pretty well over grown, but the first couple of trips there the guy I invited along and I had each dug 10-11 silver coins, 15-20 wheaties, and we each managed a couple of pieces of silver jewelry. 

As the non-overgrown spots dried up, we started weed whacking and moving fallen trees before each hunt, and sure enough we'd find more.  This continued for about 5-6 weeks until the site finally dried up.  By the time we were finished with the site, we'd dug over 200 silver coins (I dug about 120 of them myself), about a dozen or so pieces of silver jewelry and one gold ring.  Also about four pieces of sterling silver flatware and some junker silver plated flatware.   Because the site is a bit newer, nothing older then Mercury dimes, wheaties and Walking Liberty halves were found. 

I always wondered if the site had been just ten years older, would we have been digging Standing Liberty Quarters and Barbers instead.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

About 15 years ago I found a virgin scout/church camp site.  It dated to 1939, but ceased to exist by the 1960's,...   Because the site is a bit newer, nothing older then Mercury dimes, wheaties and Walking Liberty halves were found.

I always wondered if the site had been just ten years older, would we have been digging Standing Liberty Quarters and Barbers instead.

i'm still in the process of researching this, but I think some Barbers were in circulation post WWII, maybe into the very early 1950's.  I'm surprised you didn't get a few of those given you and your friend found 200 silver coins.  Ditto Indian Head cents.  I found SLQ's (most of them dateless and the rest with just a couple digits readable) in the early 1960's when searching adults' pocket/purse change and collecting on my newspaper route.

You really stepped back in time, duplicating the experiences of the 1970's detectorists, except you had better equipment.  Those were the days....

• Like 3

On 6/21/2022 at 8:58 PM, SwiftSword said:

Well, here's an update. The owner messaged me that just today he happened to be in the backyard and noticed that every single plug I dug had been torn out and the hole underneath dug down to several inches. Evidently an enterprising raccoon or skunk smelled grubs & worms. Of course I'll be heading over there tomorrow to fix it all up. Any suggestions on how to avoid this in future? I'm not sure he'll have me back after this 😬

Odd, but that has happened to me also.

• 2 weeks later...

put the plugs back, water and then spray with deer and rabbit repellant. That will keep the critters away.