GPZ 7000 Beginner Tips UK

So Ive taken the plunge and bought myself a GPZ. I cant seem to find many people who use a GPZ in the uk, video  wise, so looking for a little guidance. Whats a good beginners set up for my first few trips out. At this time of year im searching mostly pasture land, thats been done over the years, quite a bit, so is fairly quiet, on normal, non P.i Machines.

At the end of July, harvest time, begins, and the hunt for hammered coinage, really takes off. My first trip out this sunday, will be on well detected grass land,

Thanks

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 8:31 AM, zdsdead said:

At the end of July, harvest time, begins, and the hunt for hammered coinage, really takes off. My first trip out this sunday, will be on well detected grass land,

Hi zdsdead. 

Interesting to be using a non-discriminating, deep machine.  Interested in what your plan of attack is.  Do you just hunt deep signals or dig everything?  

The reason I ask is that that it might make a difference to the best settings choices.   

I never used the GPZ for coins so can't help much re: settings for them specifically.   I would perhaps stay away from High Yield though as you will be picking up every tiny piece of metal.  

General/Difficult perhaps to target those deeper signals?  Turn the coil on its side when you do get a signal and if it can't be heard then maybe it is a deeper piece?  

Be interesting to hear how you go. 

Cheers, N.E.   

• Like 1

Thanks N.E

Like the tip about turning the coil on its side. I'm out for my first hunt tomorrow, and I had exactly the same thoughts as you, regarding the "High yield" setting.

I plan on using the general mode, difficult ground setting, for my first trip. I will dig every signal, and see what comes up.

I intend to dig everything,  A friend used to own a 5000 and would get some really deep coins, and nice artifacts, on very well detected pasture. He ended up selling it, but tbh he wishes he didn't, as we have quite a few fields, that it would be ideal for

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zdsdead said:

I'm out for my first hunt tomorrow

Best of luck for the hunt.  

Although I mainly chase gold, I also have an Equinox and look for a few coins and some jewellery. 

Australia may have better gold options than the UK but you guys certainly have an amazing chance at some ancient artefacts  👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So my first hunt yesterday , and I was compared to a detecting Cyborg, by my detecting buddies. Had the 7000 on one arm, the xp deus 2 on the other. spade on my back. checked every signal with the xp, and 1 of the signals while the xp did make a noise, I wouldn't have dug it tbh. turned out to be a 1700s George ii, farthing at 11". This was encouraging. but when I checked my settings, some time later, I saw that I had actually put my settings on high yeald, difficult.

Going over various targets in the field, especially quiet ones high yeald seemed to give a better audio on them, which puzzled me somewhat?

So what programs, would people recommend for maximum depth, where I cannot actually pick it up with a non p.i detector? Virtually all my targets barring a handful were within range of the xp, although these were not giving a steady enough vdi to actually dig in normal circumstances. 20220627_161326.thumb.jpg.e28b670df4201786ced571e32a993af1.jpg20220627_161334.thumb.jpg.d483bfa0a8c3d29f3236c2393e292ed2.jpg

Many thanks

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...