Problem With Mi-6

F350Platinum

Don't want to give up on it. When it's working it's the best of my 3 pinpointers. I like the Garrett AT Propointer. But in tone mode the MI-6 is like a sonar, it's definitely simpler to find a target. It also seems to find stuff buried deeper before I even begin to dig. 😵

I use the Quest Xpointer on multiples in the hole as it can discriminate, and sometimes before I dig as well. It's always with me, but I wouldn't use it as the primary locator.

Going to try some things and come back to this, I'm glad I'm not alone. 🙂

Started noticing this more inconsistent pairing behavior after the 0.70/0.71 update.  This is a longstanding issue with the MI-6 dating back to the D1 version 4.X (Deus 1 is at 5.21 now).  Several Deus 1 software update releases were required to get acceptably stable/reliable connects between the MI-6 and the original Deus 1 platform.  Seems the bugaboo is back with the D2. Hopefully XP will address and improve this soon in a future update.  It really is annoying that XP has regressed to an extent in this aspect of their newest and most capable detecting platform (D2).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mine unpaired a couple of times but hasn't done it since. I thought I must have hit a button on the remote or something when turning the MI-6 on, but it hasn't happened in a while now, so I don't know what caused it.

6 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Mine unpaired a couple of times but hasn't done it since. I thought I must have hit a button on the remote or something when turning the MI-6 on, but it hasn't happened in a while now. so I don't know what caused it.

I did that once 😀 unpaired it by accident just blasting through the menus. It's such a great pinpointer that it's a shame it has some bugs. It stays paired for sure, I think it's an activity bug more than anything, like if the sensitivity is too high. Some of you better detectorists probably won't have this problem 🤔 I probably shouldn't run it so hot.

I run my Mi-6 in Pulse at 46 to 48. I literally have to have the Mi-6 within a foot of the RC/coil in order for it to pair consistently. Even at 48, my Mi-6 can barely hit a 3” deep coin sized target. My Teknetics Tek-Point can hit the same coin sized target at 4.5” on the highest sensitivity setting even in high mineralization………. The Tek Point and Deus 2 seem to play fairly well together also. Mi-6 in standalone mode also gets 3” or so on a coin sized target. So, even though I really like the Mi-6 stealthy pairing with Deus/ORX/Deus 2 it basically cannot match the performance and consistency of my Garrett Carrot or especially my Tek-Points.

• Like 7

On 6/22/2022 at 11:26 PM, F350Platinum said:

Don't want to give up on it. When it's working it's the best of my 3 pinpointers. I like the Garrett AT Propointer. But in tone mode the MI-6 is like a sonar, it's definitely simpler to find a target. It also seems to find stuff buried deeper before I even begin to dig. 😵

I use the Quest Xpointer on multiples in the hole as it can discriminate, and sometimes before I dig as well. It's always with me, but I wouldn't use it as the primary locator.

Going to try some things and come back to this, I'm glad I'm not alone. 🙂

Exactly, and that’s my main point. I had MI6 set up and then for some mysterious reason, the probe literally had no power or at least barely enough for 1” of depth. And then tried to get it back running again, forget it😡

That’s the great thing about Garret ProPointer, it’s just sooo darn reliable!

Aaron

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I run my Mi-6 in Pulse at 46 to 48.

I run mine hot (46-48) in pitch mode all the time too and don't have any problems other than getting a little chatty if it's too hot for the mineralization I'm in at the time. I have noticed sometimes it seems to loose a little depth (maybe an inch or two) and I have to turn it off and back on to get the initial depth back. I know you're supposed to turn it on touching the ground in mineralized areas to get max depth, but I never do that, so that could be the problem.

If I know the target is deep (below 4 inches or so), I just use the F-Pulse, although I've been using it less and less now that I've noticed a trick in pitch mode. If a target is just at the edge of the MI-6's range, in pitch mode it will sound like a low faint iron hum and disappear as I move off the target. If I press down or open a small hole to get the tip a little deeper, it will lock on to the target, so I just use the F-Pulse for the really deep ones.

• Like 2

Sorry y'all, I was talking about ruining the detector hot. 😬 I also run the MI-6 at 49-50. I use pitch mode and find targets just fine with it. It gives a hum to start and rises from there.

I was merely suggesting that having the detector at 97+ sensitivity may make it too busy to pick up the pointer. 😅

20 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Sorry y'all, I was talking about ruining the detector hot. 😬 I also run the MI-6 at 49-50. I use pitch mode and find targets just fine with it. It gives a hum to start and rises from there.

I was merely suggesting that having the detector at 97+ sensitivity may make it too busy to pick up the pointer. 😅

I don't think that should have any effect on the MI-6. I usually run the detector pretty hot 96-98 most of the time and haven't noticed it affecting the MI-6 at all.

• Like 1

Just now, CPT_GhostLight said:

I don't think that should have any effect on the MI-6. I usually run the detector pretty hot 96-98 most of the time and haven't noticed it affecting the MI-6 at all.

I'm really grasping for straws 🤣

I did hear some chatter every time it didn't connect. Going to be getting out to test stuff soon! 👍 Still recovering after campground trip, house stuff. 🙂

• Like 1