Problem With Mi-6

F350Platinum

After update to 0.71 is better but not perfect. Yes, I will choose Garrett AT over MI-6. Is deeper and easier. to use. Try to connect use it in standard mode without pair. Without instruction you can't do it. Magic of pressing button in time and few times in row. Nightmare. 

• Like 1

I lost my backup pinpointer a couple of weeks ago and have been thinking I would get an MI6.  However after reading through this thread I think I’ll either wait until  XP fixes the pairing problems or until my TRX dies and I’m forced to get something else.  

1 hour ago, NCtoad said:

I lost my backup pinpointer a couple of weeks ago and have been thinking I would get an MI6.  However after reading through this thread I think I’ll either wait until  XP fixes the pairing problems or until my TRX dies and I’m forced to get something else.  

NC, no need to do that. I'm finding it's only when the detector is busy with signals and EMI, it might not connect. I'm out in one of my permissions right now, it's only failed to connect once while chasing a 12" deep wheat among a handful of nails 🤣 Drove me nuts. Once you get used to it it's a great pinpointer, I don't think the Garrett goes deeper, and Use tone mode, not pulse. 👍I have never not found a target with the MI-6, can't say that for the AT carrot.20220630_152721.thumb.jpg.c912f1811541c45344cbe38c7d8a2907.jpg

I'm pretty sure you will like it. 🙂

• Like 2

I highly recommend the MI-6. I originally bought it when I had my D1 and it did have issues then but when I finally got around to connecting mine to my D2 it paired seamlessly and has worked without a hitch ever since. I love being able to hunt silently through my headphones. It's at least 6 years old, been dropped, dunked and has probed 1,000's of holes and it still works just fine. Prior to having it I had gone through at least one Garrett a year. I know that sometimes bad things happen to equipment coming out of assembly and software so I hope those who are having problems get them resolved soon. 

• Like 2

On 6/30/2022 at 11:31 AM, NCtoad said:

I'm with F350 on this one. The advantages far outweigh a few minor hiccups with the MI-6. I wasn't a believer until I got one and started using it. My F-Pulse has always done the job for me, but now I only pull it out if I need that extra inch or two of depth (and that's only by using the F-Pulse with the "Super Tune" trick). Now that I've been using the MI-6, I leave my F-Pulse in the car unless I'm going for super deep targets. Plus the MI-6 is better at finding micro targets the F-Pulse misses. Use it in Pitch mode and you'll never look back. 😎

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I'm with F350 on this one. The advantages far outweigh a few minor hiccups with the MI-6. I wasn't a believer until I got one and started using it. My F-Pulse has always done the job for me, but now I only pull it out if I need that extra inch or two of depth (and that's only by using the F-Pulse with the "Super Tune" trick). Now that I've been using the MI-6, I leave my F-Pulse in the car unless I'm going for super deep targets. Plus the MI-6 is better at finding micro targets the F-Pulse misses. Use it in Pitch mode and you'll never look back. 😎

I keep the Quest Xpointer with me to distinguish iron and non ferrous. May get a Minelab pro find 35 to do that. The Quest is kinda flaky.

Does the F pulse discriminate? 2 tones?

I keep forgetting that it's pitch and pulse. 🤔 😀

• Like 1

Nope, the F-Pulse doesn't discriminate, probably because it's PI. I've used the ProFind 35, XPointer Max, and Cache Pro Elite for discriminating pinpointers. I like the ProFind 35 but you have to get the tip almost on the target to discriminate. I tried the XPointer Max, and it has a little more range identifying ferrous targets but it's just too wonky for me, I just couldn't get comfortable with it. I like the Cache Pro Elite the best for discriminating because it has a thin 8" metal rod and tip only sensitive so I don't have to open a hole to tell if the target is ferrous or non-ferrous. Unfortunately those are no longer being made so I only use mine in special circumstances. And since I got the D2 and MI-6 combo, I really don't even need to descriminate with the pinpointer that much any more because I know going in if the target is ferrous or not 90% of the time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Nope, the F-Pulse doesn't discriminate, probably because it's PI. I've used the ProFind 35, XPointer Max, and Cache Pro Elite for discriminating pinpointers. I like the ProFind 35 but you have to get the tip almost on the target to discriminate. I tried the XPointer Max, and it has a little more range identifying ferrous targets but it's just too wonky for me, I just couldn't get comfortable with it. I like the Cache Pro Elite the best for discriminating because it has a thin 8" metal rod and tip only sensitive so I don't have to open a hole to tell if the target is ferrous or non-ferrous. Unfortunately those are no longer being made so I only use mine in special circumstances. And since I got the D2 and MI-6 combo, I really don't even need to descriminate with the pinpointer that much any more because I know going in if the target is ferrous or not 90% of the time.

True, that find above was pretty rare, but if a site is pretty hunted out a discriminating pointer will help. I backed off sensitivity to high on the Xpointer and it's tolerable. May try medium.

• Like 1

I just put my spare essentially new Mi6 up for sale in D-P classifieds. I am keeping one and an Mi4 that I have. As I may have mentioned previously, I alternate between the Mi6 paired and the Mi4 ( which I prefer when there’s a high number of targets. Sometimes I leave it on getting 2-3 targets done before it turns itself off- I hold I. Under my arm Pit so it doesn’t sound off in between.  I I love the xp pinpointers and only use pitch mode. My only issue is with my Mi4 the volume seems a bit  low. I’d use the Mi6 unpaired before switching to different brand. It’s often advantageous to run the coil over the open hole if the PP isnt detecting the target- a quick pass with the coil helps, and you can’t do that paired unless you turn it off/on. 

• Like 2