New Life For The Gpz7000, Rohan To The Rescue

I heard it from a little Aussie birdie that Rohan (Nugget Finder) is coming out with a second coil for our 7000's. A 17", possibly elliptical and the birdie is a good source as he's already put money down on it at Coiltek (a dealer in Vic).

As of 2 weeks ago, Rohan stated that the 17 release is imminent, he was wrapping up development on it and he was expecting 3-4 weeks so should be happening in the next couple of weeks. Coils for the 6000 should be about 3 weeks away.

If Minelab won't continue software updates or development for the Z, it's nice to see Rohan is, thank you Rohan, you're awesome, my name's already on the list if it's an ellip.

Forgive if already posted, I don't come on much.

Jen

• Like 7

That's great Jen. Good on Rohan for doing this, however, new life was breathed into the ZED 3 years ago when X Coils started releasing a large variety of coils.

The N/F coil will be good for those who don't want to have to make an adapter, but will still be very limiting in choice and performance. 🙂

Rick

• Like 8

The ideal situation would be to somehow get the smart boys from the East into Australia to build their coils here. Not only would that reduce the freight costs which can currently be exhortative, but they would have access to the soil types that cause problems for many coils.

Just imagine the possibilities if they were to team up with Minelab.

• Like 6

There are a few good coil techs in Australia who could easily do it. All it would take is investment of about $30-40K for all the tooling, parts, coil shell manufacture etc. X coils would vanish. A coil costs $150-200 each to build, labor included. Without a chip being added of course 😉 Pricing could drop to half of what X coils cost. Minelab would possibly get a little litigious I'm guessing. 

• Like 2

Hey Reg and Others,

This is an honest and open question for customers here in the US, like myself, that are not willing to make a "cable adapter" to be able to use a X-coil.  

"Is there anymore, including X-coils Manufacture that are now including the adapter or have someone that makes them that can guarantee the adapter or warranty on the GPZ 7000?"

I'm sure if X-coils could ever make their own adapter, even include with purchase of an X-coil, they would have sold hundreds, maybe thousands of coils.  

It was my understanding at some point that if Minelab found out a GPZ was uses with an X-coil they were voiding the warranty.  This might be different now, couldn't tell you either way, just more hear say.

Rob

• Like 4

Rob, its my understanding that because the coil has to be stripped of its chip AND the quality/use of the adapter is out of the terms of sale/use of Minelab equipment, then all warranty claims or repair of same is void. X coils cant do this because its the GPZ owners coil and of course ML would never supply a chip unless they came to a commercial agreement.... (unlikely). DG makes the adapters here in Australia and he fully tests each one prior to shipment so he 'guarantees' function. Of course, how the adapter is used afterwards by the new owner is outside his control, so no warranty there.

• Like 1

It is impossible to include the adapter with a coil as it is made using an original coil.  If only it was that simple. 

A guy in Australia has made hundreds of adapters for people without any issues at all, and that's their main market where the bulk of the coils are sold outside of their own part of the world where they can make adapters for their customers, so Australians are in a pretty good situation, they can pay him $200 AUD including express return shipping to get their adapter made up and a new plug put back on their standard coil and have confidence knowing the guy has made masses of adapters without a problem.  Putting a guarantee on his adapters wouldn't be viable for him I'd imagine, although he's never had a problem with the price he charges and I'm just guessing but I'd say his profit is $80 AUD on each one for his labour after paying the shipping and parts costs required to make it,  he'd have to make about 125 adapters just to cover the cost of one replacement GPZ if something did go wrong, it's really not realistic to expect that of him for the small amount of money he makes, he'd make it in an hour in his normal job so it's more a service he's providing than a money making exercise.   People buy them knowing there is a risk, albeit very small if they get their adapter made by him. 

He has even taken on the task of fixing peoples butchered home made adapters and making them good for them, thankfully they don't give out the instructions to make adapters now unless in rare cases so the problem of badly made home made adapters has largely disappeared.

As for countries like the USA that don't have someone making their adapters they just have to miss out on this one unfortunately, they can buy the NF 12 and 17" if they want an aftermarket coil.  There have been cases of people in the US sending their plug end across to the X-coils guys to get their adapters made, and they could do the same with Dave in Australia too, but US Shipping costs are prohibitive, other countries like here it's only cheap to send it over to OZ to get it done so easily viable.

The mistake made was letting people make their own adapters to start with, lessons were learnt there that's for sure.  If a properly made adapter like Dave in Australia makes fails for any reason like a bad solder joint yes it will stop working but there is glue inside the adapter to prevent any wire touching another wire causing damage.  Damaging the detector with a properly made adapter would be a very difficult thing to happen.  His adapters are tested before being given to his customers and if an adapter did stop working I'm sure he'd fix it for the person, although as far as I know it's never happened.

Anyway we are veering well off a NF thread, so perhaps this needs moved elsewhere.  I'm glad Nugget finder are releasing another Z-search, it does give people who are unable or unwilling to go the X-coils route another coil option, and they deserve it, it sucks for GPZ users to see these GPX 6000 users getting a range of coils straight away when the GPZ has suffered years of neglect.

As for the warranty on the detector, the only way it'd be void is obviously on the coil that the end was cut off, but also if a bad adapter damaged the detector, if anything else was to go wrong they would cover the warranty, for a start they have no way of knowing you're using an X-coil and secondly they can't void the warranty on your screen for example if it fails just because you've used another coil on the detector and the fault is unrelated.  Car manufacturers tried that stunt with aftermarket parts and non-dealer servicing and it was tested in courts and failed, only if the aftermarket part causes the fault is the warranty void.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, phrunt said:

As for countries like the USA that don't have someone making their adapters they just have to miss out on this one unfortunately, they can buy the NF 12 and 17" if they want an aftermarket coil.

Well said Simon, but re the 'range' of approved GPZ coils, none of these are what the majority of users here want. They all want bigger-sized flat-wound or CC coils to fully realize what the GPZ was designed for.....DEPTH.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Aureous said:

Well said Simon, but re the 'range' of approved GPZ coils, none of these are what the majority of users here want. They all want bigger-sized flat-wound or CC coils to fully realize what the GPZ was designed for.....DEPTH.

Yea, that part of it is very unfortunate but I highly doubt it's Nugget Finders fault, there just has to be restrictions on what they can make or it doesn't make sense to me the way it is playing out.  They're in business to make money, they know the way to make money is to offer coils people want to buy.

• Like 4