Has anyone used a Magnetrap before? It seems to be some new gadget for catching black sand before it enters your sluice

Here is a video of it.

Now, I love gadgets, especially ones that work so I'm going to order one for my Keene A52S.

Our rivers have so much black sand I think I'll be cleaning it off after half a bucket of gravels, I can get 35 ounces of black sand in an hour of sluicing stuck in my sluice, I have to clean it out every hour in some rivers or it clogs up really bad so something like this seems a viable quick way to control the black sand.  What I don't know is how much gold is going to get stuck in the black sand using it, when I clean out my sluice there is always a lot of gold stuck in it, if I use my magnet to remove the black sand from the pan I lose gold every time so I have to try pan out the black sand as well to make sure I don't loose too much.  Something like this seems a viable option. 

magnetrap-close-up.jpg.026e09862a00b4d73cbb1a1ee003d907.jpg

magnetrap.thumb.png.8f68c894dd419076732101e8848bedfc.png

If nobodies got one I'll let you know how it goes in a few months, no way am I entering the creeks or rivers for some sluicing in winter, I value my limbs. 😛

• Like 2

I haven't seen this product before but years ago there was a magnet device being sold that was suspended across your sluice box and hung down into the top of the water flow and would lift the blacksands up to it allowing the gold to stay down at the bottom of the flow.

It was basically super magnets inside a PVC tube with attachments on the sides to attach it with, you could easily make a similar one for your sluice. 

I don't think it's still being sold but here's a link to one that says "Sold Out"

https://www.goldfeverprospecting.com/sluicemagnet.html

I also found a video of it in action.

https://youtu.be/dyDBxgEJfv4

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was doing a little more searching to see if the sluice magnet i posted above is still being sold anywhere and it seems it's not....but I found this little device for separating blacksands from gold after the panning stage instead of the plunger type magnets which tends to pickup gold along with the blacksands.

It seems to work rather well at leaving the gold behind

https://youtu.be/fiN9EaX6Cno

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys, I already have a black sand magnet gadget and it works well, it does suck up some fine gold in with the black sand but not terrible.  I was hoping more to get something to try make it so I don't need to rip my sluice out of the river every hour when it clogs up with black sand as if I leave it in I'm losing gold, sometimes I can clog it up in as little as 20 minutes we just have crazy amounts of black sand.  I collected it one day and filled up half a bucket with black sand in a days sluicing.

My dealer also sells this gadget that looks pretty good, but again it's for after the fact, I want something to help prevent, that first item the Magnetrap seems good as I can pop it on and off easily without taking the sluice out of the water.

This is the other black sand separator, this one looks good.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Thanks guys, I already have a black sand magnet gadget and it works well, it does suck up some fine gold in with the black sand but not terrible.  I was hoping more to get something to try make it so I don't need to rip my sluice out of the river every hour when it clogs up with black sand as if I leave it in I'm losing gold, sometimes I can clog it up in as little as 20 minutes we just have crazy amounts of black sand.  I collected it one day and filled up half a bucket with black sand in a days sluicing.

My dealer also sells this gadget that looks pretty good, but again it's for after the fact, I want something to help prevent, that first item the Magnetrap seems good as I can pop it on and off easily without taking the sluice out of the water.

This is the other black sand separator, this one looks good.

That's made by the same guy who makes the Magic Bit video I posted.

That works really well but it would take a long time to do a lot of blacksands that "might" have a little bit of gold, if the blacksands are holding a lot of gold it would be great tool to have.

• Like 2

I tried some similar doohicky about 20 years ago, can't remember what it was called. But it was totally useless in Colorado, way too many black sands, it stopped removing anything after like 5 minutes and packed off. Plus half of the black sands were non-magnetic anyways and still clogged the riffles.

You should spend the $40 to get a good fire assay on your black sands though - especially the non magnetic cut. I practiced smelting last year - and a poor man's fire assay - on some of my decades old dredge cons and all of them seemed to be 1/2 oz/ton or greater. Some I sent in for professional assay ended up having good amounts of PGM's as well, and Rhodium was up as high as like $28k/oz last year. 

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Magnetrap?
  • 2 months later...

I use magnets in my sluicebox to catch black sand and then I use the caught black sand to catch ultra fine gold!  

• Thanks 1