Confessions Of A Coil Junky!

I have an addiction. I am a coil junky.:blush: I have 13 coils for my GPX 4500 alone! I feel kind of stupid putting that in print for everyone to read but each purchase seemed to make sense at the time or I at least thought I could some how justify it because of increased gold production due to that specific coil. :blink::blink:  Since I purchased a Makro Gold Racer Pro Pack I am now casting about for reasons to sate my addiction with a couple new accessory coils for the GR. Specifically the 5.5x10" concentric and the 13x15" DD. I have my ideas how each of these coils will be beneficial to me but I would like to hear what you guys think these coils offer in the way of advantages. Lets hear all the reasons you can think of for any detecting genre be it prospecting,relic,coin,jewelry,beach etc.,etc....

Thanks,

Merton

• Like 1

Merton I like to keep it simple. For me it's more about the shape of the coil then anything else. I like a big giant coil for wide open and easy to get to spaces....such as the Nevada desert (if I ever get to go back there)  A small coil offers the exact opposite in that you can get into those small tight areas in heavy brush (like the Redding area)  An elliptical shaped coil is kinda nice for those narrow areas between the rocks. Personally I'd like to see a horse shoe shaped coil that comes in different sizes so you can just wrap it around a tree or bush with a forward thrust rather then have to make a complete circle around the obstacle like we now do. Think about the possibilities... A triangular shaped coil just waiting for that special application. And for guys like you  Minelab could make a special harness that allows you to carry all your coils on your back. All you would need is a quick release on the end of the detector and your good to go.  Hope this helps.... :smile:

strick

• Like 1

Strick, you should have been a rocket scientist. Your horseshoe coil idea is pure genius. Don't  know if Makro can get it to work. LOL

Merton,

Before anyone can really give you accurate comments (help you with your problem) about your coils we need some additional information.  What we need is:

1. A list of all coils you own and have ever owned. (Pictures helpful)

2. A list of all detectors you own and have ever owned.  (Pictures helpful)

3. A list of all areas you have hunted arranged in date order. (Pictures helpful)

4. A list of all gold nuggets, relics and other items and the coil you used to find it. (Pictures required!)

Once we see this information most of us will be able to tell if you are successful.  (That makes a difference in the advice you will receive.  We need some kind of proof that you actually use these things you buy.  :tongue: )

This task will save you a lot of money because you won't have time to buy any new coils!

Goldbrick

I don't see a thing wrong with you. At one time I've had a lot of detectors but just one coil for each.

I think the best for you is just go buy two more coils. Then at bedtime drank some hot milk and in the morning you will feel so much better. The truth is you need to sell some but this could throw you into shock and you may never recover from.

Do what makes you happy.

Chuck  

It looks like the 10x5.5" DD elliptical and the 5" round? DD come with the pro-pack.  So it seems to me you have the small end covered.  The 10x5.5 concentric seems like a duplication of what you have in a DD and will not do as well in mineralized ground.   The 13x15 DD would be interesting if not for the fact that you have a 4500.  For hunting gold with that size coil I'd rather use the 4500.  I think I would just stay with what you have and put the 5" on and use the machine for fine gold like a Gold Bug. 

Regarding your coil collection for the 4500 I completely understand.  But I don't have enough so I got an idea.  You could go through the collection and find the overlaps.  Then you could post those to the classifieds and I could add them to my collection:biggrin: Hee-Hee-Hee - Just having a little fun.  I just recently added the Detech 8" DD to my collection for use with my GP 3000.  So far the test run in the park showed good stability and no falses on bumping.  I have 2 16" NF round coils DD and Mono, a 14" NF EM, 12" NF EM and the stock 11" round DD.  So this coil fit into that small space and I'll use it where I have hotter ground and hot rocks.  Oh yeah it is also waterproof.  Most guys would probably have bought the NF Sadie and I thought about that but since I don't have a GPX I thought the DD would work better with my 3000.  Probably the only coil that is missing from the collection is a 16" elliptical but since I have two rounds in that size I hesitate. 

HH

Don't look to Steve for help, he does love to Accessorize, It would be easier to quote the coils he has not bought, Mind you I have been known to splash out on the odd one or two my self, However we will give you all the support you require in your moment of need and do our best to convince you to buy more, I just don't understand how you ever manage to find anything with such a limited selection, It's like you are trying to sabotage your own success, What is the problem? Don't you like digging holes or are you allergic to manual labour ?,

C'mon snap out of this, Get on the computer, Those coils are only a Click away :laugh::biggrin:

Don't worry we got you're Back :cool:

john

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LipCa said:

I think you need help..........:smile:

LipCa , I know that but please don't plan an intervention..............

Mitchel, that ain't happening. Hope to see you at the gap this summer.........

Chuck, I like you and Johns advice the best! Oh My! I see there is a concentric in our classifieds for $100...............:blush: