Coil Wear Issue With The XP Deus Anderson Shaft

Brad Plohman

After about 50hrs use with the Anderson XP Deus Carbon Fiber Shaft I removed the coil and notice some wear from the clevis on the dished out portion of the top of the coil.  A little concerning because these XPD2 coils aren’t cheap and I doubt warranty would cover damage from an aftermarket shaft.

20220626_122236.thumb.jpg.bdbbbe0a62f8beefe42a13acaf26dca0.jpg

After taking some measurements the issue was pretty clear;

The radius on the Anderson clevis is around 14 mm but the radius from the center line of the XPD2 coil bolt to the dished out portion of the top of the coil is only 13mm.

The only reason the Anderson clevis fits is because the bolt hole is 10mm for only the 6mm Deus coil bolt. The stock D2 shaft only has a 6.1mm hole.

While the 10mm hole it allows it to fit, it doesn’t hold the clevis off the top of coil.

20220626_124910e.thumb.jpg.5200379b9f7d6dc8ba569d548cab3de6.jpg

Is it possible I got sent the wrong lower shaft for the Deus II? I emailed Anderson at the start of the week but I’ve yet to receive a response.

I didn’t particularly want modify my new shaft, however leaving it to wear on the top of the coil didn’t seem like a good option either, so here are the changes I made to correct the issue.

1.      The washer retaining lip on the Anderson clevis was approximately 3.2mm thick so I carefully sanded off about 2mm of material along the area that was contacting the top of the coil.

20220629_111239e.thumb.jpg.d75c83d30a184fcf010c22b8b8613df7.jpg

The stock XPD2 tensioning bushing is required to center the coil bolt but was interfering with the rubber washer. (The Anderson shaft uses rubber washers on both sides). I cut down the tensioning bushing so it was flush with the coil ear. That way it still centered the bolt but no longer interfered with the rubber washer.

20220626_122636.thumb.jpg.551618b61be980cf0c6415fb1af8fc09.jpg

Even with some of the material removed from the Anderson clevis, the oversized 10mm hole would still allow the shaft to contact the top of the coil, so I used some ¼ ID / 3/8 OD tygon tubing to make a bushing for the 10mm hole. The coil bolt fits perfectly now, with no play. I may need to go to a harder material for this bushing but it seems pretty good, I’ll see how it wears.

20220626_123335e.thumb.jpg.94808ea461b28416187ec0aaf7846b07.jpg

20220626_123427e.thumb.jpg.052d3054573e046f3047cf6b1c6cc108.jpg

I put it all together and now have good clearance between the clevis and the top of the coil. The tension & movement feel much better now.

20220629_112227.thumb.jpg.cb1cc5c93fba622b97e1d6e073b7bbf6.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I was getting wear from the stock lower shaft of the Deus 2. It was on the non rubber washer side. I do have the Anderson shaft and I don't use the centering cone clevis whatever you want to call it I just use the rubber washers and the bolt because I want the rubber washers on both sides of the lower rod to be tight against the ears of the coil to make the coil is rigid as possible so it doesn't pivot. But I will check and see if there's any space underneath the lower rod in that little divot area if there isn't then I will go ahead and send a little bit of it off myself. 

• Like 1

Okay I checked my Anderson lower where it meets the coil. There is daylight using a flashlight between that divot and the coil between the ears and the lower rod. And since it's not being pushed against that divot if it scratches it a little bit with some sand down in there it's probably not going to hurt it much as opposed to like the coil ears when you're pushing the rod against the ear there could be constant grinding on that ear which in time would weaken it. So as of now I'm not changing anything I don't see a problem with it I can stick a piece of paper in between there and it fits in there fine plus I can see daylight underneath it

51 minutes ago, basstrackerman said:

Okay I checked my Anderson lower where it meets the coil. There is daylight using a flashlight between that divot and the coil between the ears and the lower rod.

I'd keep eye on it. Due to it having a 10mm hole for only a 6mm coil bolt there is going to be 4mm of travel. I think if you pull the shaft back away from the coil you can probably create a scenario with 1mm of clearance, but if you push it forward, like say if you were scrubbing the bottom a little, then it's going to move toward the coil and rub. To me there should be no possible way for the shaft to rub on the top of the coil. I think Anderson makes excellent products, and this lower rod is very high quality and robust, just not a good fit for these Deus coils. I did email them so hopefully they're looking at it, and if I'm out to lunch tell me, but I don't think I am. 

4 hours ago, Brad Plohman said:

I'd keep eye on it. Due to it having a 10mm hole for only a 6mm coil bolt there is going to be 4mm of travel. I think if you pull the shaft back away from the coil you can probably create a scenario with 1mm of clearance, but if you push it forward, like say if you were scrubbing the bottom a little, then it's going to move toward the coil and rub. To me there should be no possible way for the shaft to rub on the top of the coil. I think Anderson makes excellent products, and this lower rod is very high quality and robust, just not a good fit for these Deus coils. I did email them so hopefully they're looking at it, and if I'm out to lunch tell me, but I don't think I am. 

Here is a couple pics of my stock Deus 2 lower shaft and inner coil ear.   That's beach hunting but only a couple times. This is why I purchased the Anderson shaft.  

Screenshot_20220622-094638_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220622-093912_Photos.jpg

42 minutes ago, basstrackerman said:

Here is a couple pics of my stock Deus 2 lower shaft and inner coil ear.   That's beach hunting but only a couple times. This is why I purchased the Anderson shaft.  

My take on it is that that little bushing is supposed to place tension directly on the clevis and thus rubber washer on the other side. It should hold the non-washer side away from the coil ear. It makes me wonder if possibly the coil bolt wasn't tight enough?

15 minutes ago, Brad Plohman said:

My take on it is that that little bushing is supposed to place tension directly on the clevis and thus rubber washer on the other side. It should hold the non-washer side away from the coil ear. It makes me wonder if possibly the coil bolt wasn't tight enough?

I had coil bolt as tight as I could without thinking it would break.  I checked coil for tightness several times and it was stiff but still moved a little .  Enough to cause wear.  Sand gets trapped in there and you have to remove coil bolt to wash it all out which I did every time.  So I bought the Anderson shaft so I could snug it down more since it used 2 washers.  And it does get much tighter without the feeling of breaking bolt. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had purchased one of these centering support units when I first acquired my Deus 2, $20, free shipping. The lower Deus rod fit fine and it worked well. 87E9BFEE-86F8-4C2B-AC24-38FA50DFDEB8.thumb.jpeg.6ad351b4d770b837f8a90fd7e3b3d319.jpegHowever when I got the Anderson rod I had the issue with fitment. Instead of having to modify the Anderson lower rod I put the centering unit on my grinding wheel and hollowed it out until I had the proper clearance for the rod. An inexpensive way to solve the problem. 

• Like 1