Deus 2 Legend Equinox 800 Wild Target Testing

5 minutes ago, Againstmywill said:

That's a lot of work! Thanks for the comparison; well done!

Thanks.

I did it for myself really. I am especially trying to find the roughly reliable depth limit in my dirt conditions for Deus 2 with the 9" coil.

Just like anybody else with some experience, I want to choose the right detector for the site. I can't do that until I know what it can do.  

Hopefully, I can find a spot as trashed as this one but with even deeper targets in the future.

• Like 4

Nice work Jeff! I can say over the years by testing and comparing I learned way more than just by hunting. You really put a lot of time in to this one!  Thank You!

• Like 2

Thanks!  The totals for 2 way targets is interesting also but not sure what to make of it.  Is it that deus and legend discriminate better with the settings used?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NAGANT said:

Thanks!  The totals for 2 way targets is interesting also but not sure what to make of it.  Is it that deus and legend discriminate better with the settings used?

All three had similar discrimination settings meaning the lowest 1/3 of their iron target ID range was rejected to help deal with ground noise from the high mineralization.

Personally, I think it has to do with an engineering/design choice. Deus 2 seems to have its overall gain or some other background setting (frequency weighting??) adjusted to ignore really small targets. The Legend is more middle of the road and the Equinox is adjusted to really hit hard on a more wide range of target sizes including really tiny ones. Just my opinion from really testing all three on tiny gold nuggets, micro jewelry, tiny lead targets and tiny aluminum.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jeff! 

Yeah.  I love all three of those machines. 

Deus 2 for the ergonomics/compactness/minimalist/reconfigurable design, killer iron performance, solid beach performance, improved coin shooting over its predecessors, and great all around relic performance in a variety of situations/conditions.  If I can take only one detector with me, this is the one, because I can take it with me regardless of whether I'm flying, driving, biking, boating, or hiking to my ultimate detecting destination and it can get the job done when I get there, whatever the situation and conditions might be.

Legend for its unmatched killer value, packed features, customer focused and responsive team, great ergonomics and user interface, and promise of an excellent accessory coil selection.  I need to give it more love and quietly cheat on the D2 more with it...:smile:

And finally the 4.5 year old "granddaddy", Equinox, which is  still going strong and frankly I think the industry game changer in terms of features and performance for what was at the time, a price point step change.  It really set the stage for what was to come and was the catalyst for Deus 2 and Legend.  Even though I am spending more time with the new kids on the block, it is still has a few unique tricks up its sleeve and is present in the vehicle when I depart on EVERY metal detecting excursion.

And at the end of the day, we are the beneficiaries of this healthy 3-way product competition.

Variety is the spice of life and despite the similarities in performance documented by Jeff, one key thing to note from Jeff's controlled adventure is that all three detectors brought their unique advantages to the table when Jeff decided to carpet bomb that patch of ground.  If you have the luxury of time, access, and can afford to do it, it never hurts to hit a site with multiple different capable detectors (that you have really taken the time to learn to use to their max capabilities) because regardless of how capable they are in performance, they all also see the ground differently enough such that no one detector is likely to see every keeper buried there.

• Like 9

Excellent testing Jeff. And to the heart summation Chase.

• Thanks 1