Deus 2 Legend Equinox 800 Wild Target Testing

Hey Jeff.  First, nice work. You always give food for thought.  Test 5.  did you by chance ID the target out of the hole?  I have no experience on the others, but I seem to see more upwards push to the ID of copper when the ground is damp.  I would think that 1c would have been low 20s out of the ground?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rod-pa said:

Hey Jeff.  First, nice work. You always give food for thought.  Test 5.  did you by chance ID the target out of the hole?  I have no experience on the others, but I seem to see more upwards push to the ID of copper when the ground is damp.  I would think that 1c would have been low 20s out of the ground?

Thanks for the question.

Those three copper Memorial pennies all have the same target IDs out of the hole.

2” air test

Deus 2 TID 91-92.      Legend TID 46-47.        Equinox 800 TID 27-28

Any upaveraging seen on those targets was most likely due to the presence of natural and man-made iron in the ground near those targets along with depth.

My Deus 1 will upaverage copper pennies that deep at that park up to 99 or just give — — for “don’t know” if it can hit them at all.

Very interesting test. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Thanks for doing those tests Jeff, its great to see the results from someone who is unbiased and actually owns all 3 machines.👌

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unox said:

Thanks for doing those tests Jeff, its great to see the results from someone who is unbiased and actually owns all 3 machines.👌

I don't know if I am unbiased........still trying to get the foul odor of the release of Deus 2 and the Legend out of my nose, but I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the three in 95% of the hunting scenarios out there. Great detectors that are super close in performance and lots of fun.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If only gold prospecting PI detectors had this same level of competition, sadly I don't see it ever happening although there are attempts in the works by a couple of manufacturers so fingers crossed things start to happen.

For me a 4th contender is in the list of these 3 good VLF's for general use and that's the CTX,  I've never found a better machine for silver coins in my soil, so perhaps a CTX 4040 might come in and take the shine away from some other detectors in the future if they can improve on the technology especially the recovery speed and ground handling I guess, two things I don't notice being a problem but others point out are its flaws.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I don't know if I am unbiased........still trying to get the foul odor of the release of Deus 2 and the Legend out of my nose, but I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the three in 95% of the hunting scenarios out there. Great detectors that are super close in performance and lots of fun.

It took about four months for me to get over the bad taste with the Equinox release, from the slipping release dates, broken dealer promises on shipping, bad shaft fitup quality, lack of accessory coils.  You get over it eventually...for me it was my first gold find w/ the Nox and then an amazing 1 day relic run.  Yeah, I got over it.

20180310_134719.thumb.jpg.af0ad1e6b1dfd1845716db0ba9859f95.jpg20180414_173853.thumb.jpg.00d35d82a110985260ab41b11da36111.jpg

• Like 7

Yep disregarding all the marketing hype, it's really all about what works best for you in your conditions. It's too bad you can't test drive new detectors before buying, but that would require at least a 100 hour test drive for each one. 🤣

That's why I appreciate the reliable and useful unbiased information from those that can aquire new machines and give honest opinions and testing in their conditions on this forum.  

• Like 7

I didn't think XP or Nokta/Makro could make a multi-frequency detector as good as the Equinox on the first go around. I have been proved wrong. I have hunted with two guys using the Deus II comparing targets. As I've mentioned before I can't tell any strengths of one over the other in my ground using the multi-frequency programs on dry ground. One of the guys also has the Legend, but I have not got to see it in action yet. He says it's very good.

• Like 2