Deus 2 Legend Equinox 800 Wild Target Testing

7 hours ago, Denny said:

Good write up. 
The test should have been done with the D2 using the 11 inch coil. 

I don’t have an 11” coil. They are not available for sale separately until at least October….

I am not going to buy another Deus 2 with an 11” coil just so I can make this test or any other appear to be more equal.

What aspect of this testing would have been improved if my Deus 2 was using an 11” coil?

Maybe I missed something that you noticed.

The only slight differences between the three detectors were Deus 2 was a little harder to ground balance and Deus 2 didn’t see as many targets as the other two detectors during the sweep of the gridded area. I stated in the write-up that most of the targets that made up that difference were shallower than the flagged targets.

I don’t think the 11” coil would have made ground balancing any easier in that highly mineralized dirt and the 9” coil had ample depth. I thought the Deus 2 did great.

• Like 5

There is nothing better than having choices, each and every one of these detectors is obviously good so now people can choose which suits them best by features or attributes they like not having to worry one lags well behind the others in performance.

We are in a really good place for general purpose VLF's now so it's happy times. 

i agree about Nokta, what an achievement and they should be quite proud of themselves leaping well ahead of well established rusted on old detector manufacturers, hopefully they can do the same with their gold prospecting PI. 

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I don’t have an 11” coil. They are not available for sale separately until at least October….

I am not going to buy another Deus 2 with an 11” coil just so I can make this test or any other appear to be more equal.

What aspect of this testing would have been improved if my Deus 2 was using an 11” coil?

Maybe I missed something that you noticed.

The only slight differences between the three detectors were Deus 2 was a little harder to ground balance and Deus 2 didn’t see as many targets as the other two detectors during the sweep of the gridded area. I stated in the write-up that most of the targets that made up that difference were shallower than the flagged targets.

I don’t think the 11” coil would have made ground balancing any easier in that highly mineralized dirt and the 9” coil had ample depth. I thought the Deus 2 did great.

Thanks jeff

I’m surprised the D2 picked up only 31 targets in your test. Do you see any difference in performance after updates.     

• Like 1

" I could have fabricated some extreme situation and made them all look bad "

Far too much of that goes on and its rather easy to do also.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I tried to make this testing as fair as possible and well within the limits of what these detectors can do. I could have fabricated some extreme situation and made them all look bad........but I was not trying to make one detector look bad or another look incredible. I just wanted to give readers that are interested in these detectors, especially those that have similar ground mineralization, a good look at what they can do on normal depth (surface to 10") typical USA coin sized targets. 

Nice report! I wouldn't mind seeing what each of them can do on the real deep and/or iffy targets. I don't want to paint any of them as second rate either, but, in some areas (especially ones that have been hammered over the years) finding good items on the fringe of detection is important. Finding a machine that does the best at that can be a game changer. Naturally, site conditions will vary and one or more of them might be better under condition A, and another might be better under condition B. With enough feedback from various soil/sand conditions, we can make an intelligent choice in detector, coil, and settings for our hunting sites and conditions. Thanks, well done.👍

• Like 1

Thank you.

I will be doing something similar soon. I may report on it and I may not. Mostly I was waiting for the Legend's 1.08 update and was also hoping for another Deus 2 update before doing much of a head to head to head comparison between the three using very similar settings. Now that the Legend has its Pitch Tones option and adjustable iron bias in all modes a head to head between them on deep targets in iron mineralization should be very interesting and fun!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

For gold prospecting, this Deus 2 insensitivity kind of sucks. For coin, jewelry and relic hunting in trash of all sizes, this lack of sensitivity acts as a form of discrimination and is definitely a blessing in disguise and a good thing, compared to the Equinox which hits way too many smaller targets in that kind of situation. Digging 2mm and smaller bits of screen wire at relic sites all day with the Equinox is not fun.

The tiny item issue is easily solved by notching out target id numbers 1, 2, 3, or 4. Each one knocks out successively larger bits, so just experiment a bit and decide how much low end disc to apply. I used this to great effect in my UK detecting to not waste time on bb and smaller targets.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2022 at 5:27 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

The tiny item issue is easily solved by notching out target id numbers 1, 2, 3, or 4. Each one knocks out successively larger bits, so just experiment a bit and decide how much low end disc to apply. I used this to great effect in my UK detecting to not waste time on bb and smaller targets.

That is very helpful information especially for new owners of these detectors.

I have had the pleasure and agony of volunteering for two university archeology departments and for some forensic evidence gathering for law enforcement where every single target of any conductivity had to be recovered. The Equinox is really good at that for sure, even down to 1mm sized stuff.  Park 1 and Field 1/Field 2 default settings that reject -9 to +1 or -9 to +2 is not just for coke.

• Like 2