Picked Up A Bargain Trx

Well, I'm on my number 3 Whites TRX now, the first one was a dud and seemed to really lack sensitivity so I bought a second one from Centerville Electronics in the USA, cost me a fortune to get here but it worked a lot better although it had a habit of going off in the air just holding it and seemed very unstable so I had to run it in sensitivity 2 to keep it stable but then the performance was worse than most other pinpointers I owned.

I've just always wondered if number 2 was faulty as well as if a stable TRX was ever made that could be run in sensitivity setting 4 it'd be a killer gold prospecting pinpointer as in sensitivity setting 4 it is easily the most sensitive pinpointer I've tried and I've tried a lot of them.

So when one popped up for sale in NZ I couldn't believe my luck, these things are rare as hens teeth in NZ and I thought it was quite possible I was the only owner of one in NZ, the guy who owned it bought it in the US and rarely used it so it was a killer buy, to add to that was the price he wanted for it.

1092311038_newtrx.jpg.a5412d491212cc15ea67e86e01caeffb.jpg

Yes, $80 New Zealand dollars! That's right $49 USD!  I'd seen these things selling for around $400 USD not long ago as they've become quite the collectors item.

It arrived this morning and I've had a tinker with it already of course, it's performance is the exact same as the one I bought from Centerville Electronics in the US, so at least it puts it to rest for me if my second one was a lemon or not, the 3rd one runs the same as the 2nd one with the same problem of it going off if swung around in the air, especially in higher sensitivities and also the same falsing on the ground randomly but overall, still the most sensitive pinpointer I've ever used.

So, I'm happy, got a deal on another one for a spare and even with it's falsing issues it's still a very good pinpointer and a shame it's no longer made, it is the only pinpointer I own that will hit on a number 9 lead pellet.

My first one that I'm confident is faulty I gave to my daughter and shes lost it, probably buried in a box of lego somewhere but I'm going to try find it as I may as well get it back and use it for a spare cover for my other two.  At the time I didn't realise you can remove the guts of them easily and replace the cover.

1594356721_trxpinpointers.thumb.jpg.f59b666eb7db753373be1d37575338b8.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, I tried reset to factory defaults on the faulty first one, it didn't resolve it, it just had about half the depth of the other two. The second and third one are fine they do go off in the air though if you swing them around on highest sensitivity, Carl told me this is normal.  The sometimes can start falsing on the ground in the same way but they're perfectly usable.  When it starts you just press the button and continue on using it.

If the ground balance on them was improved enough to handle the ground in the gold areas yet retained its sensitivity they'd be a great prospecting pinpointer, they're just a bit too sensitive to the ground in highest sensitivity.  I think it's a shame they're no longer being developed as a TRX v2 would likely have been a really good pinpointer.

• Like 1