Rare Summer Beach Hunt - Extended

Great hunt and I bet afterwards you forgot just how hot it was out there.

Good luck on your next outing.

• Like 2

Love to see those milkbone dog id tags ,reminds me of my old pooch.

Some silver . The sun and moon riding on a star !

A Class ring ain't too shabby either.

Worth some sun exposure fer sure !.

• Like 3

Nice hunt! Odd that most of the finds were in the first 8", stuff that a VLF could find but maybe not in all that iron. 🤔 I've had hunts like that when you finally hit the sweet spot but run out of time. 😵 Great job as always. 👍

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Great hunt and I bet afterwards you forgot just how hot it was out there.

Good luck on your next outing.

I'm just glad I tan fast rather than burn and hurt for a week 😄. As I get older I really enjoy beach hunting more than ever.

3 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Love to see those milkbone dog id tags ,reminds me of my old pooch.

Some silver . The sun and moon riding on a star !

A Class ring ain't too shabby either.

Worth some sun exposure fer sure !.

I flipped the dog tag over so the telephone number would not show. I always wonder if they buried the dog on the beach. 😶 I miss my dog a lot too, but not ready for the responsibility of having one just yet.

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Nice hunt! Odd that most of the finds were in the first 8", stuff that a VLF could find but maybe not in all that iron. 🤔 I've had hunts like that when you finally hit the sweet spot but run out of time. 😵 Great job as always. 👍

Yeah, beaches here can be weird sometimes. The combination of diffused black sand, along with the deteriorated iron, plus a layer of rocks and sand on top, can cause havoc with all machines. It was only because the iron was shallow that I was able to discriminate it out and still get the other signals to come through. If it was any deeper the iron would sound like a good target. Yeah the sweet spot is always found when you are about to leave 😄

• Like 3

That sure sounds/looks like a fun hunt - decent amount of targets, some old coins, silver and gold jewelry - can't ask for much more than that - congrats!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Compass said:

That sure sounds/looks like a fun hunt - decent amount of targets, some old coins, silver and gold jewelry - can't ask for much more than that - congrats!

Here's the unfun part 😄 more aluminum than iron. I usually dig a lot of targets on a new beach to see how hard it was hit and to see what it has to offer up. I believe this place is hit casually for coins but not intensely. The good stuff is sitting masked in the iron. But the good targets make up for the junk for sure. If I lived close by I would be hitting this place in the water. I may resurrect the CTX just for the job. Even though the CTX leaks too, I don't trust the Nox and I want better target ID. Maybe from time to time, I'll hit some beaches on bad weather days and do the water. 

P7020243.JPG

P7020244.JPG

P7020245.JPG

• Like 5
  • Oh my! 2

• The title was changed to Rare Summer Beach Hunt - Extended

So, my beach season continues until I get kicked off the beach. 😄 I may have to start using sunscreen too, as I’m not used to being in the strong sun that long.  Same beach as last week. It’s a very trashy beach that allows bon fires and fireworks. The melted aluminum far out ways the iron I dug. I misjudged the tide, so I was not able to get to the same level where the rings from last week came out. With nothing better to do, I dug the dry sand and after digging a zillion pieces of aluminum, I really focused on deeper targets. I have not found any spot on this beach that has deep older coins. They must be there as I found wheats and Buffalo last week but only at a certain low tide level. I’ll give this one another try next week since the tides will be a lot lower. I’ll be doing shallow water at low tide, but I’m torn on which machine to use. I want to use the GPX but if I take a spill in the water, that battery on my back may sting a bit. 💀 The EQ 800 has terrible target ID, and with all the different melted aluminum pieces, I’m afraid I’ll be digging a lot of gold numbers just to get aluminum. I wish the CTX was really waterproof as I had it repaired and don’t want it drowning again. All I want MINELAB is a waterproof GPX 5000 without any tweaks to lose depth. Anyways, not much found this time around but one very tiny silver ring. It fits on a dime and doesn’t even fit on a ring mandrel. So, it’s smaller than size 1. Basically, it’s size 0. I did have some fun as a small boy approached me and said, “I have a metal detector” “I have it here”  😲 You know where that leads to. So, I got him to operate it and actually find some targets. It was the smallest, cheapest metal detector I have ever seen. Slide the switch on and that’s it. No volume, meter, dials…... nothing. I couldn’t not help him since he was about the same age as I was when I started. Still nice to get out and do some hunting in the sand 🙂

P7080243.JPG

P7080244.JPG

P7080245.JPG

P7080246.JPG

P7080247.JPG

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

The third summer beach hunt is at the same small beach. This was a long one and I decided early on to try and dig a lot of targets to see if any gold would turn up…. It did not. The tides were fairly low, so I put the GPX away and tried the CTX in the water for a bit. Not used to waves crashing into me and a very murky ocean bottom. I was better of on shore, so I went to a section that the GPX found to be loaded with deep iron. But the CTX did a reasonable job of hitting on some silver, but also found a couple more bent nails. The melted aluminum killed me the most, as it was everywhere. You couldn’t go by numbers or signal strength, you just had to dig it to see what it was. An odd beach this one is. The silver looked similar to clad and the war nickel I found looked completely green. Not the typical way these coins look like at any other beach. So, look your clad over well, you just might find a bit of silver in that junk box. Weather was hot. We are just heading into a long stretch of really hot weather, so I’ll have to see if I can get out there again soon. It’s been so long since I took the CTX out in the water, so I have to read up on it again. It seemed to false 01-10 a lot, and I’m not sure If I have the sea water setting in the menu. I’ll definitely give the 3030 another shot at this beach. There should be more silver and gold there with all the junk that has surfaced. Maybe it’s in deeper out in the water. But always fun to get some bonus beach time during the summertime.

P7170243.JPG

P7170244.JPG

P7170245.JPG

P7170246.JPG

P7170247.JPG

P7170248.JPG

• Like 7
  • Oh my! 2